• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Does This Mean? Ptsd?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to VAMC today at MH,

seen my Dr...She ask me if I wantd to see a therapist? to possible get better..I said Idon't know but yeah I'd like to get better, she told me to think about it and in the mean time she wants me to see a social worker someone to talk to about things? to maybe help me cope?

I also went & talked to my social worker today and he said I should file a claim to get SC???

heres what I found out via my records today

I went down and got my records.

Anyone know what theses Numbers/Letters mean?

DSM IV PTSD Criteria B is met

DSM IV PTSD Criteria C is met

DSM IV PTSD Criteria D IS met

This is all new to me I understand what the DSM means but not the criteria? B.C.D? Where's A?

Also what is this?

PHQ 9-17 Moderate Severe Depression?

IS THIS FOR RATING PURPOSES OR THE DEGREE OF THE DISABILITY? OR THE SYMTOMS?

BAI-34

PCLM TOTAL 61 ??? <WHATS THAT?/

If this is enough to file for SC?

I Know I will have to prove this is from the military & I can with my service records , also my records indicated a Dr Diagnosed me with Server Depression back in 1999 from my old Bif Spring Tx VAMC Doc...which I never knew about?

the kicker here is the depression was diagnosed before I filed the claim for TDIU THIS WAS IN 2002 nothing was mention in the TDIU claim about the Depression at the Big Spring VAMC?

I Just never thought about filing a SC claim for this because I am RATED 90%Combined and extra scheduler pushed me up to being paid at the 100% rate TDIU P&T since 2002

BUT if I die from it and its SC Then my spouse can file DIC?

I discussed this with my social worker. HE BASICALLY SAID ITS UP TO ME.

Any suggestions? from anybody??

Much Thanks

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

OIC Okay

I was just asking because PR stated if it was him he would file for a 100% stand alone rating for the PTSD.

So this means even tho I am rated 90% combined TDIU P&T Does the VA go by that I am 100% because of the TDIU?

And if not then the 90 %combined would be rated to 100% and anything from PTSD 60% and up would get me to SMC's'?

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

This decision is one of the best explanations of TDIU and SMC S.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files4/1226846.txt

"The crux of this case turns on whether there is a single service-connected disability that makes the Veteran unable to obtain and maintain substantially gainful employment. See Bradley, Buie, supra. In discussing whether the Veteran is entitled to SMC under 38 U.S.C.A. § 1114 (s), the RO indicated that TDIU was established based on several service-connected disabilities. See e.g., August 2009 rating decision ("As the evidence shows that you are unemployable due to multiple service-connected disabilities, left lower extremity deep vein thrombosis and varicose veins insufficiency, and right lower extremity deep vein thrombosis and varicose veins insufficiency, it is not predicated upon a single disability..."). The Veteran counters that his service-connected DVT of the left lower extremity with varicose vein insufficiency and DVT of the right lower extremity with varicose vein insufficiency should be considered as one disability pursuant to the regulations that govern total disability ratings. See e.g., August 2009 statement in support of claim."
The veteran had multiple SC disabilities and proved that the sole DVT disability involved all of the additional ratings in his TDIU award.

"As cited to by the Veteran, 38 C.F.R. § 4.16(a) establishes that the following will be considered as one disability: (1) Disabilities of one or both upper extremities, or of one or both lower extremities, including the bilateral factor, if applicable, (2) disabilities resulting from common etiology or a single accident, (3) disabilities affecting a single body system, e.g. orthopedic, digestive, respiratory, cardiovascular-renal, neuropsychiatric, (4) multiple injuries incurred in action, or (5) multiple disabilities incurred as a prisoner of war."

Thus he had one single SC ,the DVT, ( all other SCs were from this same common etiology)that rendered him unemployable for TDIU.

"The Veteran has additional service-connected disability independently ratable at 60 percent, namely status post pulmonary embolism, which is separate and distinct and involves a different bodily system."

"ORDER

Entitlement to special monthly compensation (SMC) under the provisions of 38 U.S.C. § 1114(s) is granted, subject to the law and regulations government payment of monetary benefits."
http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files4/1226846.txt

Also one of my personal claims.

The veteran, my husband had a posthumous PTSD SC rating of 100%.

By virtue of a CUE claim on a 1998 decision, VA awarded 100% under 1151, for an independent additional disability.

The veteran was eligible and granted posthumously the SMC S award because his medical records revealed he was housebound by the additional 1151 disability..

The VA could have instead awarded under the 100% plus 60 SMC criteria to reach SMC S level.

SMC S whether 100% plus 60% or Housebound pays the same SMC S amount.

In determining the 100% 1151 rating, the veteran had 4 different systems involved in the 1151 stroke residuals.

They all came from the same etiology- 1151 stroke.

They were all combined into a single 100% rating.

TDIU for one disability or more than one ratable conditions - all from the same etiology -equals the 100% needed for SMC S to kick in if another independent disabilty raises to the level of 60%

or if the medical evidence warrants the Housebound award.

Housebound has been discussed here at hadit.

My husband, due to the stroke, could not drive, not determine change or bills amount, nor write his name clearly on a check. He could no longer use a computer or continue Voc Rehab.The VA van had to pick him up and bring him home for VA Day Treatment.

He got lost in Buffalo while at the PTSD inhouse program, due to his visual problems due to his stroke.

His extremity weakness and other stroke problems limited his mobility to keep up with the team leader and the PTSD group.He lost them in the crowded sidewalk in front of the VAMC.

These were some factors I mentioned in my SMC CUE.Without those factors they would have awarded under 100% (PTSD)

plus 60 % or over ( the stroke was rated at 100%) equaling SMC S under that basis.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

No multi disability's for me just my TDIU P&T Severe Hearing loss 50% increased 60% increased 90% and 10% for tinnitus. the tinnitus may got me to the 60% Overhaul combined rating is 90% so just the hearing loss and tinnitus I guess that would be multi disabilities? even tho its a 90% combined rating but being paid at the 100%rate qualifies the veteran to be 100% from my understanding?

but now with the PTSD Due to Moderate Severe Depression

I maybe should just file a claim for PTSD Due to Mild to Severe Depression...like Philip mention just claim that on what I already have? The TDIU P& T and hope I can get a good rating of at least 70% correct? or ask for the 70% ptsd and file for SMC's?

Is this correct thinking?

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck and keep us posted

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank You Navy04...I Will

I might add I have other disabilitys that's not SC...Because of my stupidly I never reported a lot of injury's that happen to me in Nam...just never thought it was necessary.

One particular incident was when I was on top of a Duce & Half front bumper open the radiator cap and when I did it blew hot scolding water on my face /forhead and lost my balance and fell off the truck onto concrete landed on both knees....I was sore for a few days black & blue/purple...but I just never reported that and today I have severe arthritics in both knees Doc said its what probably caused the arthritics.

BUMMER....Hey that be a good hadit screen name you think? lol

..............Buck

.............Buck