VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Class I Heart Disease

Rate this topic

• 1 month later...

Update,

Went to Cardiologist today. Told him my story and gave him my records. He already had some of my records. All the hospital and medical clinics (except VA) are connected around these parts.

He did a quick one over and said my heart sounded good and through our discussion he thought I was on the wrong HBP med (ace inhibitor) and that I should go back on a beta blocker, however, a different one without the side effects I had experienced priviously.  But told me to wait until our next meeting.

He scheduled me for a ultra sound of the heart and a stress test for next week.  He told me a ECG is not a definative test for LVH, which I have been diagnosed with via ECG.

He was concerned about some of the problems (anxiety) I was having with work and wanted to know if I had PTSD, which I have not been diagnosed with.  I may ask him if I should see someone regards his concerns about this.  I have claimed (denied) SC for OCD, but maybe I approached it wrong and he may be able to steer me in the right direction, etc..

Anyway, tests next week,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

The "Gold Standard" for defining such things is often a heart cath. A chemical stress test with ultra sound or X-Ray & dye is the next.

ECG's may or may not show everything there is to know. Mainly, they show damage to the electrical system that controls the heart.

Certain common medications can result in an abnormal ECG.   

Hamslice

I basically had the same thing happen to me and you should communicate with Vern2 who has gone thru the same things and won. I was recently awarded a lowball 10% for Hypertensive Heart Disease. This is after 3 QTC Cardiac doctors looked at the results of a new Echocardiogram an took them all over 30 days to evaluate. Also, I ensured that they had the Echocardiogram that I had done in the military in 1998  that shows left ventricular atrophy and regurgitation of the blood with my left heart valve. That  1198 Echo alone should have given me at least 20-30% and I'm sure after 16 years the symptoms have probably gotten worse rather than better?

What really gripes me is that when I filled out the pre-exam Cardiac Questionnaire paperwork that QTC provided, I noted/listed the fact that I had significant fatigue, angina, right side neck pain and right arm pain, swollen ankles and took nitro glycerin for the angina and handed it to the doctor as instructed---that the A8 letter  states that I was granted only 10% because I "denied"  that I had any of these symptoms that I physically listed on the exam paperwork? I did another Echocardiogram for this QTC Cardiac CP Exam but I can't get it without a FOIA which may take the better part of a year to get and it will stop the rest of my current claim from going forward.  Also, another 10% would have moved me from 80% to 90% total disability. So, it appears that they did not use it at all? So, I called QTC and as \ked where that sheet of paper was and they said that it's contained within my records. But because it was done by QTC, I hear that I cannot get a copy of it right now.  Anyway, I've learned that this happens to a lot of people and you really have to fight to get an accurate claim with Cardiac issues above 10% unless you have an enlarge heart or significant blocked arteries.

But I feel your pain as this is very frustrating.....Rootbeer22

rootbeer22,

I've been following Vern2 and your post in this regard.  Thanks to both of you for posting your claims.

As explained to the doctor, I have very little if any family history of heard disease, however, my concern is my family did not partake in the military experience like I did.

I think he was somewhat concerned about a few things about my case, so we will see.

I believe this is how he starts his process, the ultra sound and the stress test.  Then will go from there.

Thanks,

Hamslice