Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd Revalance Too Tooth Loss

Rate this question

kevin4998

Question

A little background. I am at 80% service-connected, which means obviously I do not get dental care from the VA. I am sc for Gerd and Barrett's Disease. This sc goes back to the late 1980's, so I have Gerd in particular for years. Over the last five years I have lost 85% of my teeth and out of two dentist I can not even get them to try and fix my remaining teeth. All my teeth was repaired at one point in my life, and the following year after repairs... the started to deteriorate very fast with fillings falling out and new cavities cropping up and expanding quickly. The acid could of very well removed the protected enamel over the teeth. You can google several reference's to that fact, and leading to tooth decay and possible other problems.

This morning I was reading an article about Gerd and it mention that is common for tooth loss due to Gerd. After thinking about this, it made since that their is a possible good explanation of my sudden unset of tooth loss due to Gerd. With having Barrett's Disease which is the direct result of acid flowing up my esophagus, it made since that the acid could be the cause of my tooth loose. Take in mind I am only 49 which I believe is not common for almost all my teeth to gone at such a young age. I have regurgitated acid several times over the years, and their is almost no control off it flowing up. The sphincter muscle at the bottom of esophagus barely works to control material flowing up. I can be walking and all of sudden have acid in my mouth, that quick.

Anyways, I now personally believe it is possible to get a Nexus to establish a link between the two. I will probably file a claim after my current claim is finished and will keep you all informed.

Just passing the info because I know many here have Gerd and maybe not have thought of the possibilities that Gerd could be linked to their teeth problems. As we know getting to the VA dentist is one of the hardest things to accomplish as you have to be 100% or service-connected. If I would of put two and two together sooner maybe I would still have some of my teeth, doubtful but who knows. I still need over 2k in repairs/fixes, so maybe if I can hold out for a bit longer I can have the VA do it. Don't know if the do implants, but considering dentures are much cheaper probably not.

Edited by kevin4998

• HadIt.com Elder

I would file a claim for your teeth, secondary to GERD, and I'd also contact the VA about dental care, in the meantime. Depending on how close you are to a VA facility you may be able to get treatment thru the "Choice Card."

As for dentures, I have them and although they are an inconvenience, at times, I'm pleased w/them, for the most part. I've had them for about 21yrs, now. I lost about half of my teeth, when I attempted suicide, in 1971, w/a motorcycle. I had a partial plate from '72 - '94 and then went to dentures. I've used "Affordable Dentures," for the most part, paying for them out of pocket, rather than dealing w/the VA, at about $1,000, last time, for a pair of their best.

jmo

pr

I agree with Phillip, and I am actually in the same boat bud. I am 33, and all of my teeth look good, but in fact all of the Enamel is been eating off due to my Crohns and Acid Reflux over the years. I am currently referred to a VA Dental Surgeon, just playing the waiting game as usual. My VA dentist asked me a few months ago if I was going to file a claim for SC, and I have not even thought about it, being that I am 100% VA. You should definitely get an IMO and seek SC. Good luck and keep us posted

I am only 30 minutes from Roudebush in Indy so choice card really isn't an option. Matter of fact I live so close I haven't bothered to file for travel, till this past month. I got like $4.60, pays for some of the gas (shrug)

I do plan on filing but I do need that IMO which shouldn't be a problem, but I am also in the process of starting to buy my current home so I have to wait till that gets done and settles. Navy04 I know what your talking about with the Crohns as my mother had it for decades (1970's) till she passed away earlier this year. That is something that I am glad I do not have, at least tests are negative so far, their is always that possible chance.

• HadIt.com Elder

VA Dentist wants to take all my teeth out and replace with Dentures. My regular Dentist that is on fee basis with VA says that I can be good with 3 implants a couple of crowns and some bridgework.

I am only 30 minutes from Roudebush in Indy so choice card really isn't an option. Matter of fact I live so close I haven't bothered to file for travel, till this past month. I got like $4.60, pays for some of the gas (shrug)

I do plan on filing but I do need that IMO which shouldn't be a problem, but I am also in the process of starting to buy my current home so I have to wait till that gets done and settles. Navy04 I know what your talking about with the Crohns as my mother had it for decades (1970's) till she passed away earlier this year. That is something that I am glad I do not have, at least tests are negative so far, their is always that possible chance.

I would also recommend that you download any articles that support your contention of the Gerd effecting your teeth and their conditions!

My father n law had gingivitis real bad and had to have all his teeth taking out before he was 40 I think.

Many things diseases can effect your hygiene in the mouth.

Good luck,

Stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

I have Gerd and tooth loss but my Dentist feels that it is my meds that caused the problem. If the meds are prescribed by VA another avenue to look at for getting the help that you need.