Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living Program

Rate this question

FormerMember

Question

Always be prepared for your VR&E win. In my case, it's been advanced on the docket at the BVA and is ripe for a decision within a month. Thus, I contacted Farmtek's ILP coordinator and asked for a "bare bones" greenhouse suitable for the NW and cold weather. Since VA has $180,000.00 available for each and every one of the 2,700 annual applicants who pass the audition. it behooves one to have it all compiled so as not to appear like an FNG chucklehead when contacted after the win. I do hope VR&E Director Jack Kammerer has a high-limit credit card because Farmtek is a FOB kind of outfit where VA is concerned. VA tried the slow pay technique several times and now their credit is damaged. The install cost also isn't included nor are the electrical/plumbing connections.

Go big or go home, folks. To think that they denied me a little ol' 12X20 in 2011.Grambo's greenhouse.pdf

Oh shit, Lieutenant. A gook just walked into the prop. I yelled clear prop. I did. I swear I did. I'm not cleaning off the windscreen this time. No way.

Solar star 24X48.PDF

Edited by asknod

• HadIt.com Elder

WTG Asnod. I never really got into the nuts and bolts of the ILP , but you have awakened me to dip into the abiss of the VA once again, pretty interesting stuff you have uncovered.

Pete-- Technically, you had to get them via a Home Improvement and Structural Alteration (HISA) grant. The tempurpedic beds might fall into ILP but I have usually seen them granted using the VHA prosthesis path. The VA is desperately trying to strangle the IL Program because they feel they are already giving us far too much. I usually get reports of can grabbers, sock puller uppers, grab bars at toilets/showers and occasionally headphones (for TV) for extreme hearing issues.

There are also SAH (Specially Adapted Housing) and SHA (Special Adaptive Housing) grants as well as automobile adaptations. ILP was a set aside specifically for severely disabled Vets to make reparations for how we were treated when we came home from Vietnam. There is no specific list of diseases/injuries needed to qualify. Congress didn't get anally specific about what a severely disabled Vet actually is. VA did that.

Here's how Congress gave it to us: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/3120

It's rather humorous to listen to all the reasons why you don't qualify or only get the can grabber while they are collecting bonuses on top of their $100 K salaries.

How about another wrinkle. You can be retroactively reimbursed for SAH home modifications you did after you qualify for it. Save dem Home Depot receipts. I built my house using ADA standards so I can ask the moment I get my wheelchair learner's permit.

The fact is, honestly, that VA's VR&E folks are trained to identify what you need based on your mental/physical limitations. They are also supposed to ferret out implied needs for grants and try to include them. So you can imagine a VR&E honcho saying "Well, Lordy. You need a lot of stuff. We'll fix up your car so you can brake and throw in a riding lawn mower on account of it's a bitch to push a mower in a wheelchair."

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask

You are correct the bath remodel was a grant worked out with Prosthetics Department but it was at the directive of ILP. Most of the ILP in Dallas are not worth the power to blow them up but I had one who actually helped and for almost 2 years I had a guy who would visit me regularly and gave me rubber mats for shower, can grabbers and even a machine that helped with with stress and anxiety.

They can be very frustrating but if a Veteran pursues it usually some nice things can come from it. The ultimate goal very rarely discussed is to help the Veteran stay in their home and not need nursing care.