Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pending Decision Approval

Rate this question

gs106

Question

I wasn't knocking rootbeer, I have respect for him and everyone here, maybe typing on a computer it came across otherwise...but it was not what I meant to do. If it was perceived that way, my apologies. Reading it again, I see why it would be. What I was trying to get at was the general malaise and what seems to be blind acceptance of this broken system. That 'well, that's how it is and always will be" undercurrent that permeates thru much of these exchanges over the VA. It won't get fixed without fighting for it and many of the organizations that were founded to do just that are now just as guilty of being part of the system and profiteering off of it. How many people are employed by those organizations which simply attach their 'logo' to veterans' claims without doing anything to champion them or holding the VA to task? It has been wearing on me for a while and I just don't see how so many men and women who have served bravely and selflessly seem to just roll over and take this type of treatment and continue to make allowances for it. It is wrong. That's all.

Talon,

I agree that the system is not designed with the intent you mention. I think we make choices when using any system: try to change it, learn to work within it or do both. There are ways to apply pressure for the system to change. Contacting news and elected officials (or appointed personnel) can create change and results in a sense of accomplishment. Given the complexity of the system, learning to work within it also provides people with a sense of accomplishment. Personally, I try to do both. However, as with working in the military trying to change the system from within can be a real challenge. Larger Vet rep organizations meet regularly to advocate veterans issues (DAV, VFD, etc.) so I think both are happening simultaneously. I think there are people that are doing all they can just to survive the system (let alone try to change it). It is up to the rest of us to help them work the current system while trying to create a better approach for everyone. So, get involved (I'm sure you already are), make your voice heard, vote (vote, vote, vote), and work to help others through the process as you have worked through it. Remember, "cooperate and graduate"? We're still doing it, Airman.... just in a different system. Also, keep contributing and offer your experience to those that have trouble helping themselves. Pay it forward to those that you might still keep in touch with still in uniform. Lastly, don't give up - ever (doesn't sound like you would).

Folks:

First of all, I finally got my first disability check in the bank this week, so the long process turned into reality:). You guys are all "Brothers in Arms" to me and I don't get sensitive about this stuff at all and everyone is entitled to their opinions.... which I fully support. I was so thankful for the support that I've received from hadit.com members that I've decided to support the hadit.com organization with my time and money by "paying it forward" as was stated earlier. Frankly, I'm still learning about this complex disability business and was really amazed at some of the stuff that I saw and that happened to me along the way. There was a time where I got very negative and pessimistic about the process---but mostly because I did not understand it like I should have? As an example, I heard a lot of negative stuff about CP exams and had some really good ones and also some really poor ones in terms of how they were executed? Especially when I later got a copy of the VA Examination Procedures Manual which outlines the correct way to conduct an exam? As an example, during a Gulf War CP Exam, the doctor never made eye contact with me and I felt insultd? However, it appears that my final rater actually called some of the CP Exam Doctors to include the GWI Doctor to clarify my case, which actually went in my favor...and gave me a higher sc %...I think? Also, the rater found and addressed more contentions that I did not even consider and is working to determine a service connection now. So, the process for some can be another "battlefield" but on average,...as long as a Vet gets good educated advice and does not take "no" for a final answer too quickly, they at least have a fighting chance to win...but more that anything else.....for me, I'm learning greater patience and humility now...Godspeed...rootbeer22

My problem is lack of patience. Must learn to be patient with VA, and everyone else!

Going on 5 years and 2 months......the clock keeps on ticking..... but it's ticked a lot longer for many other veterans out there, so I bide my time by making sure I tie off all loose lines with my claims. Btw....mine has been sitting at "Pending Decision Approval" since they blocked the Appeals page on eBenefits while under construction. I chalk it up to the eBenefits gremlins, and don't take much as fact on there. Therefore, I'll just stand by.....to stand by.....

Mark