Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adding Dependents

Rate this question

DejDan

Question

This may be helpful for some. After uploading my forms for dependency ( 2 months ago) I checked to see the status and it said under review with a completion date of 2017. I used the chat feature on ebenefits to verify the 2017 date and found that it was in error but was not givien a more realistic date. Anyway while on the chat line the rep told me call the 1800# and ask to be transferred to the dependency line.

I did that. The person on the other end told me that if i would have called them and added my dependents via the phone instead of uploading on ebenefits I would probably be compensated by now.

So as far as I know anyone that has to put in a dependent claim is better off calling and asking for the dependent dept and have all information ready ie; full names, socials and birthdates.

I dont understand that if you go into ebenefits you have to provide socials and upload birth certificates but you can also just call them up by phone and say "hey i gots me a new kid" and its done?

sounds fishy. with the VA i live by "In god we trust in all other cases verify"

i would stick with ebenefits, there is a paper trail that way. Also i would be prepared to wait.

i had all the paperwork ready for my son when he was born, the day after i got a copy of his birth certificate mailed off the SS application within 2 weeks i got his card. I then submitted the dependent application that same day. 8 months later he was approved. everything takes awhile with them and i wouldnt trust someone on the phone with a properly submitted. that is just my opinion. over the phone it would be hard to prove when you are calling and asking 6 months from now that you properly submitted all the documents on time.

maybe, i just am way too paranoid these days with the VA to trust anything that is not Certified mail w/return receipt.

Granted you are given retro back to the day they are born, but i despise waiting years to hear back......

Can I say that I'm actually shocked you were able to get the chat feature to work (you actually chatted with someone instead of getting the "Your inquiry is important to us. If you are trying to reach us within our service hours, we are experiencing a high volume of chats. Please try us again soon" message).

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I used ebenefits to do this and it only took about 4 to 6 weeks to get done, but this was about a year ago. I was told that if I mailed in anything, it would take forever.