Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Choice Program

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

I had to go to the Director office about my consult for acupuncture. The consult was sitting

on nobody desk, but in the end I got approve.

Just wondering is anybody heard every vet will gets Choice program starting Nov 1. I seen the memo but just

not sure it said everyone or not. That's what I was told anybody?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

update on this bill it has been pass by the House and Senate and enacted

by being sign by the President July 31 2015 GREAT NEWS

If you would like to see the votes this is a great sight.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3236. I guess the guy in Director office wasn't

lying after all.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that the implementation of the "choice program" was(and is) so poor that it's not really able to meet the promises and goals. And if VA's past record is any guide, never will be in our lifetimes.

The problem is not the program its the people who don't have a CLUE of how it is suppose to work

I was told they are having classes training people right now for the program. The Doctor have fill out

4-5  consults for me but its always the wrong form or goes to someone where it sits on his desk not knowing

what thee hell to do. If this pass you got to any Doctor you want. You can complain on her about this an that

but if you don't tell the right person like complain to CHOICE, Director, Bob, Hickley, even the PRESIDENT

tell somebody about it what you think that can help you cant change the a system overnight without problems

I do this all the time because if they don't know the problems they sure cant fix them. Nothing wrong with complaining

just make your complain known to VBA. RU

People and training are a part of the implementation.  It's hard to have "dumbed down" training make much of an impact.

Then, add on the VA's lethargic approach to change at administrative working levels.

Remember, if there are ANY discontinuities in the admin scheme, things just grind to a halt. Unfortunately, this is quite common within government

bureaucratic entities.    

Chuck75, you dont want Choice or what are you saying. Do you go to Atlanta VA

and if so I know you got problems, but this is the best thing for us it cant be no worst.

Congress finally trying to do something for the VETS is good news. Admin scheme I cant control

who steals and who not, just give me some. lol  Lethargic approach, this went through congress

very quickly thanks to MR Trump comments. But how long it will take for them to work out all the problems

I don't know but its a good start and the bill explains it self if read.  Nov 1 is not that far away so we will see

As far is the government goes I guess all us are the Blame for this mishap because we voted them in. Look

at who voted yea or nay and change your vote best I know. RU

• HadIt.com Elder

"Chuck75, you don't want Choice or what are you saying"?

Au contraire!  I want a choice program that meets veteran's needs, not buried in VA "red tape" and boondoggles.

I started trying to use choice last year. The VAMC eventually used fee paid instead, likely because they didn't have

the specialty that I needed, and had not figured out how to even use Choice at that time. That took months. The only reason I tried it was that

my doctor told me that the practice did fee paid in the past, and, using private insurance would likely have cost me about 2k in co-pay and out of pocket.

The last time I looked, the CBOC was running over 31 days, so I was placed on the "Choice program" list earlier this year,

as authorized only for PCP care. Naturally, this is not the care I usually need, other than for routine VA prescription renewal, etc.

That part of the program was still screwed up the last time I inquired.  Further, even though the VMAC has the records from the fee paid

treatment, they are not accessible by the VA  CBOC PCP. ???? Something about different data bases was the last excuse given.

If that isn't bad enough, I've lived in the area for more than two decades, and have never heard of most of the doctors on the choice list that are even close to local.

It's also of some note that most of my medical care is directly related to SC'd conditions, and they occasionally require "prompt' but not usually emergency care.

Choice seems to be ever changing at this point, so it's a real hit or miss deal in my experience.

Edited by Chuck75

Everyone started with fee base than after about two months of treatment than it is

suppose to change to Choice. Changing is where my problem started. I was told

you could find your own doctor or use some what VA has use before, so I went and

find my own. I don't know why your PC cant see your records they are suppose to see the

treatment you are receiving.

Not sure about sc or not but it probably will be for SC disabilities or a co-pay for a

non SC. I suppose to be ready to use Choice by Wednesday but I heard this 2 months ago.

I really believe the people  doing the paper work cant read because I had an argument with the supervisor

telling me I was approve for services. I goes to the doctor for treatment the doc says the letter says

I'm not approve so I read the consult sure enough it says not approve. It took fee base two-three days

to admit this even the supervisor couldn't read it that's been since June so I'm  still waiting but I got some fire

up their a** so maybe Wednesday. It should get better sooner than later.RU

Edited by RUREADY

The HCV (hep C) issue is a boiling pot.  The US Military used Air Injection Guns to immunize millions of people through basic training up to the mid 90's.  These guns were capable of spreading HCV.  They have awarded disabilities due to this issue.  That, combined with the fact that a much higher percentage of ex military have HCV, is an indication that many more should probably be awarded benefits because of it.  People can live their whole lives with HCV and never know that they have it until it turns into a fatal condition, like cirrhosis or any one of a number of cancers.

Thing is, nobody is out there beating the bush, running the numbers, figuring out how many of us went to the same training, got the same shots from the same guns, tracking us down and checking us for HCV.  They have this ability at their fingertips, they probably already have a good idea about what it can cost, and they don't want to go public with this because its huge.  People die from HCV, figuring how many are already dead, and linking those deaths to the possibility that HCV was involved, would open a hornets nets of litigation just from the estates of those who are already gone. 

This is about Diabetes I and II, non Hodgkin's lymphoma, fatty liver disease and cirrhosis, and a host of other condition that are related to HCV.  The end result of telling the public all about it would cost billions.  The end result of not telling the public all about is immoral, unethical, and leaves thousands/tens of thousands and possibly millions of people ignorant and at risk for all the problems that result from untreated HCV.  This include the husbands/wives and children and grandchildren of the affected members.

Balance the topic out, and I see why they want to divert so much to treating those with HCV, its a back door to a solution that is nothing more than a half step to evade telling the truth to the public at large.  The Choice Card funds can be used to help hide the truth from America.

Edited by pwrslm