Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC (S) Confused

Rate this question

bionoce

Question

I'm rated 70% TDIU P&T for PTSD with MDD, no future exams, and cannot leave my apartment to work a 40 hour week. Or work, period. Trying to read into all these interpretations of what "substantially confined" means is confusing. What do I need to submit for this SMC "S", or am I not eligible? If I am eligible how do you request this, is it a claim? Or do you just write a letter? Thanks.

Edited by bionoce

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can get 70%above what your rating now I believe you qualify for smc 's  if your combined rating is 70%  but getting paid at the 100% VA goes back to your 70%and restarts the %  so from where your at  you need to top the 100% and then 60%more.  if you do that its VA duty to assist your SMC's

jmo

....................Buck

Yes. I only have one rating at 70% but I'm TDIU for it. From what I understand being "housebound" means being substantially confined to one's immediate premises by Congress's originally intended standards. Substantially confined means not being able to leave home to go to work to earn a living. I'm home most of the time, sometimes days on end without stepping outside. I get out for appointments and treatment for the voice in my head. 

Edited by bionoce

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I am in the same boat...but we need to qualify , even tho your TDIU  your still considered 70% rating Bur being paid at the 100%rate. , you need the 100% plus additional 60%   I agree your HB but the  VA wants to make it complicated to get anything over the 100%  so they have these crazy Regs.

jmo

....................Buck

TDIU is a qualifier if you are not able to leave your immediate premises to earn a living. Buck, read those links posted by asknod....

Edited by bionoce