Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intro from NC

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hello fellow Vets,

I have been viewing this forum for a while as a guest, but I think it is better to be a member when one is reading so many personal accounts. Otherwise, I'm just a creeper. I am a single mom and caregiver to my own mom. I was on active duty with the USAF for 12 years, separated honorably from Bolling AFB.  DC did me in, but when I separated in 2004, I really did not think that I would ever file a claim for anything because I had no faith in doctors and no time machine to realize that my health problems would get so much worse within the decade. Anyway, I would like to say that I am not in the same boat as a lot of traumatically injured members here, but many friends and family members have encouraged me to file for compensation because they have seen my physical and mental capacities decline (I am only 42).  Everything started while I was in the military, but the docs would blow me off almost every time I went in for answers. Funny, if I wanted drugs, they were more than helpful, but to press for tests to find out what was wrong- nope. You can't tell them anything, either. 

I only filed my claim a month ago, and I am already sure I did it wrong or back asswards, so I know I have some time to wait. I look forward to discussions here, and thank you all for your service!

Thanks Andy! I knew it had to be something like that. I should have records of the TMJ as well as a number of PC visits where the doc blames my problems on stress. I feel like my PTSD statement covers where a large amount of my stress came from, but I doubt that there are any notes in my STR that mention the 9/11 events specifically. I do not think it takes much imagination to link these two, but from the many posts I have read here, it may not be enough. I just have to wait and see. Even if PTSD is not supported, most of the other issues I claimed are documented in my STR. I had numerous visits for back and neck pain as well as migraines and any number of issues that would cause clenching. Hell, military duty is stressful by nature! 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Andy! I knew it had to be something like that. I should have records of the TMJ as well as a number of PC visits where the doc blames my problems on stress. I feel like my PTSD statement covers where a large amount of my stress came from, but I doubt that there are any notes in my STR that mention the 9/11 events specifically. I do not think it takes much imagination to link these two, but from the many posts I have read here, it may not be enough. I just have to wait and see. Even if PTSD is not supported, most of the other issues I claimed are documented in my STR. I had numerous visits for back and neck pain as well as migraines and any number of issues that would cause clenching. Hell, military duty is stressful by nature! 

I agree! Don't count on the raters to somehow connect all the dots on their own. Some of the sharper raters might do that, but in my opinion, the best practice is to connect all the dots for them and spoon feed them everything they need. A strongly worded IMO can really help (if the raters read it). Don't forget that you can file for secondary claims at the same time you file for a primary claim instead of waiting for the primary claim to be SC first.

Is this something that is rateable?  I have the ridges, too, though they are not as bad as they were 5-ish years ago.  They are in my dental records and I also had several different custom mouthpieces issued for these issues, they always tell me I "have old teeth" and always have cracked fillings from it.  I never thought to claim it, I didn't know you could.

Talon- I am not sure if the ridges are rateable by themselves. I did not claim them, but I claimed the jaw issues that are caused by clenching. The ridges are evidence that person has clenched his or her jaw for a long time, so their existence is proof of that claim. If clenching is responsible for TMJ disorder or broken teeth, headaches etc, then there could be a  connection to military duty. In my case, I have records of these problems from AD, so the fact that I still clench and have the scar tissue supports my claim for jaw problems and headaches. Even if I don't get any money for the issue, it would be nice to get VA dental care. The problems it has caused are pretty bad.

ETA- Clenching is a symptom of anxiety and stress, so those ridges may also connect to other related medical issues.

Edited by pumibel
add a bit

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Pumibel,
Did you happen to have your wisdom teeth removed while in the military?

I plan to get mine together this weekend and send it off.  I was just at the dentist, and they want me to mouth guards and such.  But I don't grind my teeth at night.  But sure do clench them!