Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intro from NC

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hello fellow Vets,

I have been viewing this forum for a while as a guest, but I think it is better to be a member when one is reading so many personal accounts. Otherwise, I'm just a creeper. I am a single mom and caregiver to my own mom. I was on active duty with the USAF for 12 years, separated honorably from Bolling AFB.  DC did me in, but when I separated in 2004, I really did not think that I would ever file a claim for anything because I had no faith in doctors and no time machine to realize that my health problems would get so much worse within the decade. Anyway, I would like to say that I am not in the same boat as a lot of traumatically injured members here, but many friends and family members have encouraged me to file for compensation because they have seen my physical and mental capacities decline (I am only 42).  Everything started while I was in the military, but the docs would blow me off almost every time I went in for answers. Funny, if I wanted drugs, they were more than helpful, but to press for tests to find out what was wrong- nope. You can't tell them anything, either. 

I only filed my claim a month ago, and I am already sure I did it wrong or back asswards, so I know I have some time to wait. I look forward to discussions here, and thank you all for your service!

Well, I don't have any dental issues to draw SC from, but I do have half a dozen STRs of seeking help for intense jaw pain, that the MDs and DDOs couldn't explain.  And now my teeth show a lot of wear and tear, and I have the scar line along the inside of both cheeks from long term clenching.  And I did chip a tooth a few years ago from clenching.

I think this would have to be a huge difference for me, such as 90% vs 100% scheduler, before I would pursue a claim for this myself.  Mine has gotten a little better with leaving AD and seeking counseling for my PTSD.  Damage is done and still active, but when you haven't had any dental coverage in over a year, you try and forget you have teeth at all, lol.  I lost a huge filling, the whole side of my tooth, about two weeks ago, it sure would be nice to get that fixed before I lose the tooth...I'm sure glad they are taking care of me(sarcasm). 

Probably to a Man/Woman, we all did our 1st VA SC Claim WRONG. We either waited too long or relied on a well intenioned (Maybe) VSO Rep to file our intial claim.

Not many Vets that aren't involved with their own SC claims, spend a lot of time viewing Vet blogs.

Now that you've got skin in the game, get educated so as to minimize any future mistakes. You've filed for PTSD, get the PTSD DBQ and answer all the questions. See how you think you stack up to the 38 CFR 4 ratings.

As to PTSD treatment, do you see a VA Primary care Dr? That's usually the 1st step in getting a referral to the VA MH Department. Unless things have really changed, your VA PC will administer a verbal PTSD screening exam, the result of which would get you another PTSD Verbal Screening exam by a VA MH Nurse. If your found by virtue of you MH PTSD Screening to actually meet the PTSD criteria, you would then be offered treatment with a VA Psychiatrist or you would be offered the option to become a member of an ongoing PTSD Group Session.

I chose the Group and attended official weekly sessions for about 3 yrs. You don't really ever get cured of PTSD but group sessions help living and coping with it. My group was directed by a VA HH Social Worker. Some of the Group also saw a VA Psychiatrist on a regular basis, primarily those needing MH Meds.

About 8 guys from my group decided to continue with unofficial Group meeting EOW at the VAH. It's been about 21/2 years now and we're still meeting. The Vets on meds still have to see their VA Psychiatrists on a regular basis.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

Does a vet need to keep seeing his VA MH Doc ? (for his/her meds of course he does) if you have PTSD how can you not  take your meds for it?  unless your in therapy and that seems to work  but if it does how would the Vet keep his comp?

if you show improvement  they they tend to reduce the vet..right?

.....Buck

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Seeing a MH doc is usually required to continue receiving meds from that provider.

Sometimes side effects of meds end up outweighing the benefits. The VA gave me some meds once that made my head feel like it was a balloon and about to explode. I stopped those meds and talked with the doc. Sometimes it is a trial and error to find the right med or combo of meds to help. Not all of our bodies react the same to meds.

I've heard improvement due to meds can result in reduced ratings, but also have heard the opposite. The improvement would need to be sustained improvement over time, not just the occasionally rare instance of improvement.

Probably to a Man/Woman, we all did our 1st VA SC Claim WRONG. We either waited too long or relied on a well intenioned (Maybe) VSO Rep to file our intial claim.

Not many Vets that aren't involved with their own SC claims, spend a lot of time viewing Vet blogs.

Now that you've got skin in the game, get educated so as to minimize any future mistakes. You've filed for PTSD, get the PTSD DBQ and answer all the questions. See how you think you stack up to the 38 CFR 4 ratings.

As to PTSD treatment, do you see a VA Primary care Dr? That's usually the 1st step in getting a referral to the VA MH Department. Unless things have really changed, your VA PC will administer a verbal PTSD screening exam, the result of which would get you another PTSD Verbal Screening exam by a VA MH Nurse. If your found by virtue of you MH PTSD Screening to actually meet the PTSD criteria, you would then be offered treatment with a VA Psychiatrist or you would be offered the option to become a member of an ongoing PTSD Group Session.

I chose the Group and attended official weekly sessions for about 3 yrs. You don't really ever get cured of PTSD but group sessions help living and coping with it. My group was directed by a VA HH Social Worker. Some of the Group also saw a VA Psychiatrist on a regular basis, primarily those needing MH Meds.

About 8 guys from my group decided to continue with unofficial Group meeting EOW at the VAH. It's been about 21/2 years now and we're still meeting. The Vets on meds still have to see their VA Psychiatrists on a regular basis.

Semper Fi

I was diagnosed prior to leaving AD, again at my C&P and also at my initial medical appointment at the VA.  But, I get my primary care from an AD satellite thru Tricare, since I do not need to pay deductibles most of the time that way.  It does limit my access to psychiatric treatment but, originally, I didn't want to use meds, I figured that is treating symptoms not the real issue; it is very, very hard without them.

After going to counseling every week for the last 6 months, mostly EMDR, I realized that the reality is that I cannot do it, not 'safely'.  The last two times I didn't make it to my appointment and had incidences.  It has been very humbling and I did realize several months ago that I needed medication.  I have twice had referrals put in by my PCM, but here in Central Texas there is a huge shortage of psychiatrists, only psychologists, so no meds.  That includes searching San Antonio and Austin.  I cannot find anyone who takes Tricare that will see me. The ones that are here can pick and choose who they see and vets with PTSD are at the bottom of that list, apparently.  My only real option is going to an ER and I am afraid they will keep me, I am not willing to go inpatient. I don't think it is needed for me currently with proper care.  My family is working with me to limit triggers and it helps.  I will have to go one of these days, I just hide at home in the interim and keep trying to find a psychiatrist every couple months.