Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intro from NC

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hello fellow Vets,

I have been viewing this forum for a while as a guest, but I think it is better to be a member when one is reading so many personal accounts. Otherwise, I'm just a creeper. I am a single mom and caregiver to my own mom. I was on active duty with the USAF for 12 years, separated honorably from Bolling AFB.  DC did me in, but when I separated in 2004, I really did not think that I would ever file a claim for anything because I had no faith in doctors and no time machine to realize that my health problems would get so much worse within the decade. Anyway, I would like to say that I am not in the same boat as a lot of traumatically injured members here, but many friends and family members have encouraged me to file for compensation because they have seen my physical and mental capacities decline (I am only 42).  Everything started while I was in the military, but the docs would blow me off almost every time I went in for answers. Funny, if I wanted drugs, they were more than helpful, but to press for tests to find out what was wrong- nope. You can't tell them anything, either. 

I only filed my claim a month ago, and I am already sure I did it wrong or back asswards, so I know I have some time to wait. I look forward to discussions here, and thank you all for your service!

Talon- if you went to ER, and they kept you, it would get your treatment started. I know that is scary. Lord knows I am terrified of a hospital stay, but they may only keep you a couple of days to see if meds calm you down and if you are a danger to yourself and others, blah blah, blah. It would highlight just how much you need help and get the ball rolling. From what I have read here, you would only benefit from the experience. This is coming from someone who gets nauseous at the thought of staying overnight in a hospital.

I have no issues with voluntary hospitalization such as for injury, illness, or scheduled procedure, however it's the thought of being kept against my will that scares me!  I've had nightmares for years about being locked away in a hospital room where no one could find me.

I have no issues with voluntary hospitalization such as for injury, illness, or scheduled procedure, however it's the thought of being kept against my will that scares me!  I've had nightmares for years about being locked away in a hospital room where no one could find me.

Oh jeez that is one horrible nightmare, but you forgot to mention the clowns!

I spent a few days in the hospital after I had my daughter (c-section, I'll spare you that story). It was the first time I had ever had invasive surgery and had to stay overnight in a hospital. Awful! I was *that patient *- I disconnected my IV so I could use the bathroom. They had tangled the lines up so badly that I was unable to bring the little roll-y thing with me, and no one would come help me when I pushed the magic button. So the poor nurses had to clean up a trail of blood. But I did NOT wet the bed, by golly. You are welcome nurses!

Andy, that is precisely the issue for me as well. One of my major triggers me is feeling like I can't influence a situation or change an outcome, so essentially it has to do with control.  That feeling of helplessness ties deeply into many of the incidences that contribute to my PTSD.  Being held would definitely trigger me!  My own sense of self protection will make me do my best chameleon imitation and disguise the issues to prevent that.  I can't contain it all the time, but for a few hours under those circumstances I will out of reflex.  Eventually, I may have to take the risk, but I am hoping that once I have a rating I can try and attack this problem thru the VA system as well and hope to have better luck getting access to a psychiatrist.

I am going in to WWP offices on Saturday, they are doing some sort of claims meeting/seminar thing with VA raters present and already took my info so the VA personnel  could review my info prior.  I am hoping that getting a one-on-one in that environment may grease the wheels a little and get things rolling again.  My only fear is that my 'redo' C&P's for some of my non-ptsd issues is available by then.  At the minimum, I am hoping to see my other C&Ps, since they were all performed by IHS under contract (I think they were fired over the summer, btw, new contractor now, but same docs, lol).

I am VERY interested to see how they respond to some of the questions I have as they relate to their implementation of the CFR's, but I definitely don't want to appear bellicose or confrontational and hurt my case!  Considering my claim is farmed out to another RO, I don't know if they will be of any help at all, or simply hedge.  I am interested in what they say their procedures are for handling hardship claims, since I don't think they actually have any, believe it or not.  It has had zero visible impact on my claim.  It took them 5 months, while on hardship, to LOOK at my C&P and realize it was a mess and order a new one, and I had to wait 6 weeks for that appointment, smh.

Talon, no VA Hospital within 70 mile radius? I never received Tri-Care, are you proscribed from using VMCs.

What MH condition were you DX'd with, while on active duty?

Do you currently have a PTSD Appeal pending? Have you requested (FOIA) your complete C-File? All SC Claims DBQ's should be in it, takes a while to get, file for it ASAP.

Buck, the Nam PTSD Vets that I know and who are receiving Psych Meds all continue to see their VA Psychiatrist. That's not to say, a SC Vet seeing a private Psychiatrist couldn't get the outside Psych Med prescription filled at the VA. Just have to have a VA Dr/Psychiatrist endorse it.

As to the PTSD SC ratings being reduced after completion of the Group sessions, to the best of my knowledge, none of the 20 or so Vets that I was with for the 21/2 yrs of group ever received a reduction proposal. Keep in mind, we were all Nam Vets and over 55. 55 is the age at which automatic SC reviews are discontinued or not Diary Dated at the Award Decision.

Semper Fi