VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

USMC_VET This post is for you.

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

USMC_VET

I'm not sure what its called  but it maybe statement in support of claim 21-4138 (Respondent Burden)

In here about a month or so  you posted how to write a good statement of support  to help your claim

how to lay out your statement in support of your claim

It  was like an Intenary maybe? can you repost it

Thanks

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Buck, I get your trepidation, and if you just like to go old school that is more than fine.

Ebenefits has issues and im sure some folks have had problems with claiming on there.  I have not had any ebenefits claim issues at all with over 4 different claims.  Im talking about filing not anything afterwards. 

If you want to do it on ebenefits do it this way.

1) Start the claim as early as possible, today and get the evidence together after.  Save your EED for today not in 3 months.

Once you start the claim even and you save and exit it generates an intent to file.  Once you get that email saying you filed and "intent to file" , print it and save it for your records, also maybe print a screenshot of it for your records from ebenefits.  This is not instantaneous but may take 24-72 hours depending, with my experience.  If you have gone 5 days without an intent to file, go a little further into the claim online and resave it and send an IRIS message stating "I started a claim on X/XX/XXXX and i have yet to receive an intent to file, consider this a notification of my intent to file and my notification to you that my EED for this claim is the above date since Ebenefits has yet to properly file it for me.  Following this notification i am sending, certified with Return Receipt an Intent to File to the VA hard Copy stating the same information above."  Then file a hard copy.

2) once you get all the evidence, follow my how to on evidence submission (which is free@   www.howtoapplyvabenefits.com) and submitting a cover sheet listing out all the evidence you are sending.  Upload it in bulk or individually.  In concurrence with that SEND IN THAT EVIDENCE HARD COPY via Certified mail w/Return receipt, then send it fax as well and hand deliver if doable.  best to oversubmit than undersubmit and have them lose something.

3) Once you complete the claim hit the submit button and it will tell you once its been submitted.  You will receive a letter, just like when you submit a claim hard copy that it has been received etc.  With the intent to file you already have you EED date locked in and with the evidence submitted all those ways you have your "i am ready for you to look it over" covered.

Everything is going digital.  Letters and forms are scanned into the system as JPG's or PDF's, and then filled in section 8 for posterity.  The good part of that is that you can have people in multiple locations deal with separate issues in the same file at the same time.  The bad part is if a EMP hits, everything is gone, and hackers tend to penetrate every government system, so eventually, VA is gonna get it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I may file the statement in support of claim with evidence on ebenfits.... but   right now I need to figured out a 9 letter password  with upper and lower case

I filed my intent to file claim last month to the Intake center&they sent me a letter and said they received  it  Oc1   so Oct 1st will be my EED.

The DAV SO filed my 21-526 ez PTSD Claim on Oct 15th. that was  all that was filed  ..I am trying to get my statement in support of claim filed asap  its pretty long but type written  and I  be going through some of my records I have and getting names and dates of some of the events for my stressor's.

or  do I have to use the DAV and take everything to them?

I will try to get on ebenfits  that way I can at least track my claim and check on it from time to time

In the mean time I'll try my best to get a ebenefits account.

Thanks USMC_VET

...........Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I was wondering what all should I send in the statement in support of claim? for PTSD

evidence? or just tell my side of the story?

Do the VA examiners or VA Raters read the VA MH notes? or should I include a few of those too?

The DAV SO already filed my 21-526ez  for PTSD. Oct 15th

I wanted to file a non'e service connected claim on my hand the VAMC messed up...I don't have a private Dr to state what is wrong  but the VA Doc said there is nothing else they can do   I can't use my hand like I need to and its painful to just shake hands with someone...a ''small tear happen when they straighten out my fingers  and I went through VA hand therapy and  now I just have to live with it.

its been sore ever since they fixed my bent finger. Feb 3/ 2015 almost 9 months and its not getting any better.

so do I need to refile a claim on 21-526ez for that too or is there a claim needed for that?

Thanks

................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Anybody have any suggestions on the above post?

any help I can get would help me.

I am not that familiar with PTSD/Depression Claims.

Thanks

..........Buck

I was wondering what all should I send in the statement in support of claim? for PTSD

evidence? or just tell my side of the story?

Do the VA examiners or VA Raters read the VA MH notes? or should I include a few of those too?

The DAV SO already filed my 21-526ez  for PTSD. Oct 15th

I wanted to file a non'e service connected claim on my hand the VAMC messed up...I don't have a private Dr to state what is wrong  but the VA Doc said there is nothing else they can do   I can't use my hand like I need to and its painful to just shake hands with someone...a ''small tear happen when they straighten out my fingers  and I went through VA hand therapy and  now I just have to live with it.

its been sore ever since they fixed my bent finger. Feb 3/ 2015 almost 9 months and its not getting any better.

so do I need to refile a claim on 21-526ez for that too or is there a claim needed for that?

Thanks

................Buck

So you want to know what to write in a sworn declaration for PTSD when it is not Service Connected yet?

The same advice for others to write goes for you as well.  Do not write "My PTSD has caused me to lose 3 jobs in 5 years..."  stick to the facts and your SYMPTOMS and how they AFFECT YOU AND OTHERS.

So if you are going to do an initial claim for PTSD you need two things to be made clear to the rater,

1) That an event occurred that caused you mental stress and is now manifesting in symptoms that are affecting your ability to function normally (could be PTSD or could be something else, you are not a doc)

2) How theses symptoms are adversely affecting your ability to function normally.

For #1 you need to identify the event, what the VA calls "in service stressor", and explain in as much detail what happened. You need (if possible) exact dates, times of what happened, where they happened and where you were in relation to the event.  If this was a combat incident in Vietnam you need to provide all those details as best as you can remember them.  On top of your statement you need to get unit records that back up this claim.  Get unit daily reports to confirm that this happened on this day and if possible that your unit was there, it may only mention company, but combined with other records you have showing you were in said company helps to place you there.  If you can get other brothers to write about it to confirm that yes X happened and you were there when it happened, especially from numerous folks that really helps to nail down that yes this happened.  You just saying it happened SHOULD be enough, but if you can show unit records that confirm it happened and your unit was there, plus 5,10,20 other sworn declarations from other guys there testifying that it happened and that you were personally there, its really hard for the VA to say it didnt happen, or that you were not there.

For #2, for your part you need to opine on when the symptoms first started to appear.  If it was directly after the incident and has gotten worse over the years, go into hellish detail about how it affected you and how you reacted to it.  I will related my own experience and how i explained it if that helps...

I talked about how afterwards i shtu down and went on autopilot for weeks, i stopped tlaking with folks back home and once i came out of the autopilot fog i wasnt very forthcoming.  After i got back i and most others drank alot....a lot.  It was normal for use to drink eveyr night and all day during the weekends.  After i got out, i continued to drink too much.  I didnt do well in school, i came in hungover.  I was numb to a lot of things.  I had trouble dealing with work, i had trouble establishing relationships....

Talk about everything that was different afterwards from how it was before.  Talk about how you get angry easily, or have nightmares.  Especially talk about how it affects your ability to work and how it hurts relationships with other people.  Go and look at the DBQ for PTSD and the 38 CFR citation for rating general mental disorders.  Circle any of the symptoms that are listed that you experience. (remember that "Flattened effect" means that you arent very expressive in your emotions and that "spatial disorientation" means you have issues with knowing things like time and place, you forget the year or you have issues finding places or following driving directions, get turned aroudn easy).  Once you identify what things pertain to you MAKE SURE YOU TALK ABOUT THEM IN THE SWORN DECLARATION.  Also remember to take that with you to the C&P so you hit on all the big and little stuff in the exam and dont forget to mention things.