Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea home test

Rate this question

Corpsman8404

Question

Good morning!

So I had a sleep test done on 27Oct15.  I asked for the results of the test yesterday in "secure messaging" on myhealthevet.  I get the reply that I need to come in for the overnight test there, with all the hookups.  (I have heard from others that the "at home" test is pretty much inconclusive alot).

In my results below of the "at home" test, can anyone clarify things?  
(bolded part is mine)

Unattended portable sleep recording was conducted 10/27/15 16:00. The study was performed with airflow, resp belts x2, position sensor, snore microphone, actigraphy, and pulse oximetry. This HST was requested in further assessment of symptoms of snoring, witnessed apneas, and excessive daytime somnolence.

Respiratory rate is typically 12 - 14/min Pulse data shows ~ 58 bpm total and 71 bpm supine.
Baseline SpO2: ~94.1%
Time in bed: 7 hrs 41 min.
AHI: 2.2 overall, 0 supine (% 1.7 of time supine)
Minimum SpO2: 88%
IMPRESSION: This study does not meet criteria for a dx of sleep disordered breathing. However, events which were recorded were primarily central events. The few obstructive upper respiratory events were not positional.
RECOMMENDATIONS: 1) In further assessment, recommend an overnight diagnostic sleep study within 2 weeks. 

So, after doing a little research, I see that there are 3 types of sleep apnea:

*Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) occurs when a patient’s upper airway closes (either partially or fully) but efforts to breathe continue.The primary causes of upper airway obstruction are:

• lack of muscle tone during sleep
  • excess tissue in the upper airway
  • the structure of the upper airway and jaw

OSA is the most common form of sleep apnea, affecting more than three in ten men and nearly one in five women.

*Central sleep apnea (CSA)CSA occurs when the patient’s airway is open, but respiratory effort ceases due to a decrease in his or her ventilatory drive. It is a =18.7pxcentral nervous system disorder.CSA can be caused by heart failure, or disease or injury involving the brain, such as:

• stroke
  • brain tumor
  • viral brain infection
  • chronic respiratory disease

Patients with CSA don’t often snore, so the condition sometimes goes unnoticed.Mixed sleep apnea

*Mixed sleep apnea occurs when the patient shows signs of both OSA (where the airway is obstructed) and CSA (where no effort is made to breathe).

In seeing the above from my workup, it "states" I have more of a "primary central events", yet the definition of CSA says don't often snore.  Oh...I snore, trust me!  lol.
So what does this all mean? Is CSA more apt to be dangerous? More apt to compensation? Et cetera?
Sorry for such a long post, and I'm sure better results will come from the full on/in house testing at the facility

• HadIt.com Elder

off subject here a little bit

but how long does it take to get the results back?

I had my overnight sleep study done by private vis va choice card

its been almost a month now   the study was done Oct 13th  here it is Nov 12th

My VA Seep clninic called me ask if I heard anything back from my sleep study on the Oct 13th

I said nope not a word  I said I guess I don't have SA?

She said she would call them and do a follow up?

I know I did sleep a lot better after they hooked me up to the c-pap

so I'm thinking maybe I don't have SA?

STILL WAITING TO FIND OUT?

Buck

Here is what they looked at on both of my sleep studies to confirm or deny SA, this number is yours: AHI: 2.2 overall, 0 supine (% 1.7 of time supine)

12 or higher AHI is rateable / requires a CPAP.  Usually, I think, this is OSA, though, and that is what I have, CSA may be different, what was more unusual in your results is the supine, or 'laying on your back. I could see them trying to work that angle and try and change your sleeping posture, BUT OSA is usually higher on your back, considerably.  There are many other sleep issues besides SA, but that is what they seem to focus on and, if it is contracted, they are not allowed to diagnose other issues without another referral.  This may have muddied the waters some instead of clarifying, but it may help you to formulate some questions to ask for your overnight.  I believe with CSA, you would have a severe drop in O2 saturation, yours matches mine exactly, and it was not a factor on either of mine, they said that mine was fine.  Hope this helps some.

Thank's for that, Talon.

From what I am hearing as I'm looking into this, the lab sleep test has people laying on their backs for the test.(Supine)

During my "home" setup test, I slept on my stomach and had to adjust the gear off to the side quite a bit (stomach sleeper).  I don't know if that affected that home test or not. I can say that whenever I attempt to sleep on my BACK, I consistently seem to wake myself up (either by snoring or breathing issues, I don't know, of course, because I'm asleep.) :lol: 

Had test results come back, here they are:

Reason for study: Sleep apnea

Weight(Ibs):185

BMI: 29.1

Epworth: 19 

SLEEP SUMMARY: This technically satisfactory study runs for: 436 min

Total sleep time: 210 min

Sleep efficiency: 48.2%

Latency to sleep: 110 min

Latency to REM: 177.5 min

N1/TST: 14.%

REM/TST: 6.4%

Arousals/hr of sleep: 22.3

PLM/hr: 5.1 

Pre-treatment respiratory events per hour of sleep (AHI): 58.5

SpO2 fluctuation: lowest SpO2 of 86

Snoring: yes 

Suspected RLS

TREATMENT TRIAL:

Optimum PAP: CPAP at 10 cm H2O.

Most satisfactory PAP headgear fitted: ResMed Mirage FX nasal Residual

AHI: <5

SpO2: maintained 

RECOMMENDATIONS: Treat with PAP per treatment trial with heated humidification 

Edited by Corpsman8404

-8404-

The local VAMC paid for my sleep studies overnight at a closer hospital. As of 2015, I have had three. 

All you can do is collect the results and do the homework which it seems like you are.

Please get the long graph as part of the results when/ after you do an overnight at the hospital ( when you have all the probes hooked up).

The report that showed the results were always three pages for me. First two had language I had to Google but now understand, the third page was the graph like I mentioned. On the graph you can follow your Ahi's and you SpO2 levels.

Added to you doing your homework, and google of course, you will understand it better than anyone by then. 

I found the sleep studies the most pleasant night of sleeping. The VA took the results from the contracted hospital, and issued me my BiPap ASAP bec of my min Spo2 levels and high AHI.

If they tell you u need it, u need it, so wear it every night. I wear mine and it is as pleasant as a pillow.

Don't stop researching this topic for your own good.

Good luck.