Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adoption question, thanks in advance!

Rate this question

TiredVeteran

Question

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Short version, I am unable to find a definitive answer to this question: If a disabled veteran adopts a child who had already turned 18, will this child be eligible for Chapter 35 benefits?  In our state, children age out of the foster care system at 18 and are pretty much on their own. Any advice most appreciated!!!!!!

Debbie ......................HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

NOTHING is certain with VA.  I simply recommend you apply and try it.  Expect the royal Runaround, and you are unlikely to be disappointed, but persistance should win.  Make sure you have all the paperwork, the adoption from the judge, birth certificate, etc.  

Thanks again! I called the VA number on the link you provided and was told that the age of adoption did not matter. There is  a real crisis in the USA of children aging out of foster care with no home.  Even though we are aged ourselves, an 18 year old should be pretty physically self sufficient. We have an extra bedroom and a LOT of love. I am going to try as hard as possible to have him here to spend Christmas. Wow. Maybe that bump on the head a few months ago had one good outcome. Since last March, I have researched, prayed, and now put in an official request.  Homelessness had always been a cause for me.

Realizing that foster children just get ousted for the most part broke my heart.