Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I on the right path?

Rate this question

Dennis1989

Question

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on any site regarding the issues I deal with. Before I go on with my question I would like explain my situation. I am a former Infantryman with multiple, isolated, combat deployments that has lost many close friends. I have always swept my feelings to the side and told myself that I am strong enough to keep my issues to myself. I have done this for a few years now and it has gotten extremely painful.

I have left jobs to have new beginnings so that I could attempt friendships again. It isn't that I am mean to anyone or disrespectful what so ever, Its that I am so uncomfortable in my own skin I always feel awkward. I am so impatient with every thing in my life, even my wife when all she wants is for me to put forth an effort towards getting things ready for our unborn son. I try to interest myself in things but all it does is result in me pretending to care. I feel so disconnected from every thing that I don't know what to do any more. I moved across the country for a new start at life and I am constantly depressed, anxious and unable to keep relationships. When I go outside and I make contact with a neighbor my heart sinks and I don't know how to react... I end up waving, putting on a fake smile and than for an hour I think about how uncomfortable it was and that I hope they aren't outside when I come back home. I can't put a title on what my issues are but it's so uncomfortable. I don't know if it is PTSD or what but this is not how I was before the Military. Sorry to rant.

I am currently seeking attention from the VA but its taking a while. I made my claim for combat- related PTSD with hopes that the VA would schedule my appointments. (I have never done anything like this so if I am wrong please don't crucify me). The steps I have taken are as follows:

1. Claim has been made through E-Benefits with my DD- 214 attached including "combat/ time in country/ etc."

2. My claim has been accepted and a "development letter" has been sent out.

3. I scheduled an appointment with a civilian LPC therapist. That is later this week.

I have read on many sites that with a Combat Infantryman Badge, proof of a "nexus" and a Diagnosis of PTSD, the claim is usually OK. My question is, am I taking the correct steps for a successful claim? What else should I do?

Thank you guys in advance.

Congratulations Dennis1989, on your rating! Please take the valuable advice of the other members and seek treatment as well, especially the counseling.

Dennis, the hardest part may be to continue treatment.  I have been going weekly for about 9 months.  I don't always make it to my appointments, but I have a pact with myself to always 'get back on the horse' when I miss a week.  It is easy to stop going and digress; it really is a daily battle.  Get your family, friends, etc to support you if that is an option.  If not, get a battle buddy.  Make sure you are receiving treatment from the 'right doc', someone you are comfortable with.  I wish you the best, it is not an easy road but it is still the best path available.  I am not on here as much, reading others going thru these types of issues actually triggers me sometimes, can't stand to see how people get treated.  BUT, I can always be pm'ed since that will send me an email and will respond.  I am always willing to help to the best of my ability, even if that is just as a sympathetic ear or a sounding board.