Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD, New C&P Exams, I'm Confused--Please help!!

Rate this question

bcnandprn

Question

I'm super confused about where I am in the appeal process and what I need to do at this point.  Unfortunately, the DAV hasn't been very helpful with explaining things to me either, so I really feel lost in the mud right now.  I'm hoping some of you can help me or at least tell me who I should be contacting and/or what questions I need to be asking.

I filed a NOD that was received on 11/27/2013 and then the VA went MIA for two years.  Last month (November 2015), I received a call from the C&P department at the Kansas City VA Hospital to schedule new C&P exams and have now completed all of the new exams.  The exam notes have been completed in eBenefits and eBenefits still shows 11/27/2013--Appeal Pending-Notice of Disagreement--The VA will notify you of the next steps.  I'm guessing that the "next steps" were attending the new C&P exams and that there hasn't been enough time to update eBenefits yet.  I also realize that I probably won't get a decision any time soon, but what are the next steps after the C&P exams are complete?

In both exams, the examiner notes state that the conditions were just as likely as not service connected with further annotation of civilian doctor visits, frequency of flare-ups, severity, etc.  While I would love to know what level, if any, that each condition will ultimately rate out at, I know there is a lot of room for interpretation, so I'm not even going to ask for guesses on that.  I just want to know what the next steps are to try and understand where I'm at in line for a decision and what type of questions I should be asking when I call the 800-827-1000 number.

I've also moved since filing my original claim and eBenefits will not let me update my address online, so I've tried calling the 800 number but the system hung up on me after telling me that they had high call volumes right now.  While I do not receive compensation right now, eBenefits also shows an old bank account that I no longer use and I honestly do not remember the account numbers for it either, so I'm not sure how to get anything fixed.

I am feeling extremely overwhelmed and exhausted by all of this because I had no idea what to even begin to ask.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have.

Bcnandprn, OK, I will try to help as much as I can, and I'm sure other members will also momentarily. First order of business is getting your address and BANKING info updated ASAP. Call the 1-800 number, if they disconnect call right back and keep hitting zero (four times should do it) until you get the call back appt.  When VA calls you back, get the name of the person you are speaking to and tell them you are updating your address and bank account info.  You should also be able to update on ebenefits, but call first and after they update, call back a day or two later and MAKE SURE its updated. Next, you stated you recently completed c&p exams, you should be hearing something within a few months. You can, of course, ask when you update your info if they have received the exams and status on your claims. It sounds favorable that the examiners stated at least as likely as not, and even better that they then listed flareups and severity from your records. I wish you success, and hope this helps.

The best advice I have, since you have completed "new" c and P exams, is for you to get your hands on a copy of those as soon as possible, and to order a copy of your C file. 

Then, you read your mail, and wait for a decision, making sure you send VA anything they "request". 

Most of dealing with VA involves waiting.  And Waiting.  And waiting some more. 

Be careful about taking benefits too seriously.  I have said this before, counting on ebenefits is like counting on a alcoholic druggie teenager to show up at work at McDonalds.  E benefits can be useful, but just dont take it too seriously. 

Years ago, I had  a friend who owned and worked at a gas station. 

Anyways, once he had someone come in BEEPING THE HORN (this was back when gas stations were "full service") and he came out, they bought no gas and wanted directions.  They got directions!!!  If they were looking for a grocery store 2 blocks away, he would say, "Take i70 for 7 miles to exit 30.  Then follow hiway 40 for 7 more miles to hiway 6.  Take the third dirt road to the left, and you cant miss it.  His "directions" remind me of talking to VA employees, or ebenefits.  DONT COUNT ON THEM. 

Flores97 and Broncovet, thank you so much for your help.  I will call the 800 number again in the morning and take care of that aspect by following your suggestion.  

This is may be a dumb question, but would the C&P exams be different than the examiners notes on myhealthevet?  And how do I request a copy of my C file?  I went to the release of information office last week and obtained all the documents they had on file.  I've also put in a privacy act request for records related to me, so would I get something different through the C file?  

I'm sure most DAV offices are helpful, but when I went to my local DAV office last week, I'm 100% positive that I left more confused than when I walked in, so I apologize if I sound really stupid with my questions. 

Btw, Broncovet, I love the eBenefits analogy.   

Or he could have said "go straight and then turn left, straight and left again, turn left, go straight, Left, straight...left......straight....sorry NASCAR fans, I couldn't resist! LOL!!!

Are you close enough to your VAMC that you can stop in and see the benefits counselor?  If so, they can file a request for your C-file, and complete Military and Military medical record at the same time.  Also, they should be able to assist you with your direct deposit info updates.

And yes, the waiting is the hardest part, and most of it is waiting.

As for your exams, most of the notes on myhealthyvet are usually identical to the exam, so if you can see range of motion measurements on there, than you can use them to guesstimate your ratings on the rating chart, which can be found on here under the CFR rating chart section.

Most VSOs are best at helping themselves.  I too am a DAV sucker, and they haven't done one thing for me yet.  I've  been waiting 2 weeks now, for a response to an email.  Guess I will email them again.

Oh, Welcome to Hadit, best choice you've made in a long time. 

Semper Fi.

Andyman

• HadIt.com Elder

I have DAV Rep & so far they ain't done anything to help me, I don't know why I ever ask them for help, I have done everything on my claim myself and with help from hadit members   I been thinking about having the DAV Revoked , but I understand its hard to get that done.

.............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!