VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thoughts on DAV

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

Just want to know what other users think of the DAV as a claims rep?  I won previous claims without help from them, then appointed them as rep.  Problem is, I can NEVER get in touch with them, and have a new claim and appeal in.  Would you guys recommend that I keep using them, or go at it alone?  Seems like they could care less about getting back to me.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It depends on the rep, not necessarily the organization. For example, I had an excellent DAV rep at my VAMC who helped me greatly, but then they retired. While they were seeking a replacement, I was told to contact the DAV reps at my VARO. The experience I had was a complete opposite. After they finally got a replacement in at my VAMC, I quickly realized that I knew more about VA claims than they did. I ended up switching to a different organization.

In the end, you are ultimately responsible for your claims, regardless of who you sign up with.

Whether you go it alone or get assistance, that would be depending on how comfortable you are with either situation. I recommend a combination of both.

I learned here on Hadit how to research my claims, examine evidence, read regulations, etc... I assembled my own claim, consulted with other Hadit members, and then, when I felt it was solid enough to submit, took it to my VA rep and asked them to review it. I listened to their advice and weighed it. Sometimes it was lousy advice, like "the VA raters will look through your records and find everything they need", but other times it was very constructive, like "the nexus from your doctor needs to be stronger because..."

There are benefits to having an organization on your side. For example, while you are waiting for a claim to process, you are limited to current status information from 1-800 and ebenefits, which isn't much at all. The DAV rep at the RO has the ability to provide a bit more information than that. But then again, you'll need to have them respond to you first. Also, if something bad happens to you, your spouse can work with the organization for your benefit in your absence.

Here in Alabama, I believe they are not available on Fridays due to "training", but I am not certain if that goes for other states. Also, don't expect them to call back for several days. They are probably overwhelmed and you are on their callback list. If you don't hear back within a week, try again.

I understand that the are overwhelmed.  And the only time I did get in contact with them, they did give some information that I was unable to get from ebenefits or the 800 number.  Just seems almost impossible to get them on the phone.  Thanks for the insight!  Greatly appreciated!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Well, don't give up! I found it best to find out their hours of operation and what days of the week they are open. If you need to call them, start calling a few minutes before they open. Chances are you might not get an answer right away, but you can repeat calling several times so hopefully you are the first person they answer when they arrive.

The last time I was with the DAV,  the Montgomery Alabama VARO had a really nice lady who answered the phone. Usually she would look up the person who was handling my claims and then give them a message. It was very rare to actually get them on the phone.

Since you have a claim on appeal, keep in mind that the wait time for appeals is very much longer than for initial claims. There might not be a lot they can do for you until the VA gets to your claim. I have had appeals take a few months to a few years. With ebenefits became available, I checked it about once a week (never saw it change status) and contacted my DAV rep about once a month. There's really no way to say for certain how long it might take for them to work your appeal.

I highly recommend the DAV. I happened to be very fortunate that someone at the DAV in DC was watching out for me and found my file, about to be thrown out.

I am very thankful for them. I'm waiting now to see what happens with my appeal. A VLJ has it, dates have changed 5 times now, hope it's close.