Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thoughts on DAV

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

Just want to know what other users think of the DAV as a claims rep?  I won previous claims without help from them, then appointed them as rep.  Problem is, I can NEVER get in touch with them, and have a new claim and appeal in.  Would you guys recommend that I keep using them, or go at it alone?  Seems like they could care less about getting back to me.

Several years ago, I talked with a VA attorney. Based on the details of my claim, they recommended waiting out my NOD and seeing what happened. If I was denied, they offered to sign on and help with a BVA appeal. Luckily, due to the great resources and members here at Hadit, I was able to win and did not need to get into the BVA line like I did for my original claim 20 years ago.

In my case, I was not about to be homeless nor was I critically ill the entire time. I was impressed that they listened and didn't just try to instantly sign me up. I can't say that one attorney is better than another, but everyone's situation is different.

When the VA first denied my claims, I talked to a lawyer who said he couldn't help me (maybe I'm the problem, lol).  The lawyer's website was really well put together and stated "all we want is 15% of your retro pay" if they helped you win.  I'm actually glad that he turned my case away now because I was naive and it appears that I will win some of my appeals now and I won't have to pay him 15% of any retro pay.  Hadit has been wonderful with supportive folks and good suggestions, so I will absolutely make a donation here when it's all said and done. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

When the VA first denied my claims, I talked to a lawyer who said he couldn't help me (maybe I'm the problem, lol).  The lawyer's website was really well put together and stated "all we want is 15% of your retro pay" if they helped you win.  I'm actually glad that he turned my case away now because I was naive and it appears that I will win some of my appeals now and I won't have to pay him 15% of any retro pay.  Hadit has been wonderful with supportive folks and good suggestions, so I will absolutely make a donation here when it's all said and done. 

Some VA lawyers make their living off of VA retro just like others make theirs off of SSDI retro. It could be related to some factors such as slam dunk claims, how much retro could be obtained, etc... If there's no return of investment for their time, they might not be interested unless they are looking to write off some pro-bono work.

Years ago, my "bad" DAV rep said just "get a nexus from a doc", just like that, with no advice. I didn't even know what a nexus was back then. My "good" DAV rep told me I needed a nexus from a doc (sounded just like advice from Hadit) and actually provided positive constructive advice.

I also spoke to a gentleman at the American Legion who provided rock solid advice like go to this kind of doc, show him this and that, have him examine you, your records, your MRI, ask him these questions, etc... and took the time to explain why, which was a great benefit.

VSO or not, with the VA, gaining knowledge of how the system works is a great asset for any claim.

I started out with Texas Veterans Association, and later transferred to a DAV VSO, but FINALLY ended up with a Texas attorney firm that specializes in doing ONLY veterans' cases (Glover&Luck).  That said, my history of TBI, OSA, and MDD wore on me to the point that I needed the professional assistance that an attorney, or two, can provide.  I have NO problems paying 20% of a retro-check for getting this kind of help. After all, these attorneys deal with so many cases that they have seen it all, and know many/all the tricks VBA will try an pull in order to buy them time and wear you out.

I fully support going the attorney route.  After all, the VA has their own small army of attorneys working to deny you at every opportunity.  Just saying...

Navy 1966 says "Most VSO'S that I know submit their claims through another VSO.". 

There is a reason for this. Most VSO Service Officers are not licensed or registered to represent Veterans. You have to take the test I am awaiting presently for non-attorney practitioner credentials. You have to pass 75 of the 100 multiple  choice questions on this test. It speaks volumes that either the wannabe VSO service reps cannot pass the test or that they have no interest in even attempting it. This is why there is a bottleneck in getting a good VSO service rep. Very sad.

Merry Christmas to you all.

I don't have a DAV rep but I do have a rep. I do the legwork and I research the claim. Sometimes I let him file something for me.

Some VA lawyers make their living off of VA retro just like others make theirs off of SSDI retro. It could be related to some factors such as slam dunk claims, how much retro could be obtained, etc... If there's no return of investment for their time, they might not be interested unless they are looking to write off some pro-bono work.

Years ago, my "bad" DAV rep said just "get a nexus from a doc", just like that, with no advice. I didn't even know what a nexus was back then. My "good" DAV rep told me I needed a nexus from a doc (sounded just like advice from Hadit) and actually provided positive constructive advice.

I also spoke to a gentleman at the American Legion who provided rock solid advice like go to this kind of doc, show him this and that, have him examine you, your records, your MRI, ask him these questions, etc... and took the time to explain why, which was a great benefit.

VSO or not, with the VA, gaining knowledge of how the system works is a great asset for any claim.

I think you may some very valid points about why some attorneys turn folks away and I also think Mike has some points too.  For me personally, I did most of the work myself initially and was denied and I filed the NOD on my own as well.  

When the VA called to reschedule my new C&P's, one of my coworkers suggested coming to Hadit with any questions I had, so here I am.  My last C&P was on December 3, 2015 and my claims were completed on December 23, 2015 with a combined total of 80%.  I think Hadit has been wonderful with thoughts, suggestions, and friendliness.  

I work in a field where a lot of our clients our represented by attorneys and we see some amazing attorneys and we also see some that are horrible and do absolutely nothing to help their clients (which makes me sick with the latter group).  It's very important to research whoever represents you and ensure they are actually an advocate for you and not just telling you all the things you want to hear.   I definitely believe there are good and bad reps in all facets of this process.  

Edited by bcnandprn