Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thoughts on DAV

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

Just want to know what other users think of the DAV as a claims rep?  I won previous claims without help from them, then appointed them as rep.  Problem is, I can NEVER get in touch with them, and have a new claim and appeal in.  Would you guys recommend that I keep using them, or go at it alone?  Seems like they could care less about getting back to me.

I have a DAV rep  but I am working my own claim  I basically sign on with them in case I need to go to CAVC  OR Even a DRO Hearing, mine is to busy to call at times but may need them later?  if he don't answer his pgone I'll just go to his DAV Office  its in my VAMC building

Let me give you a piece of knowledge Buck. None of the VSOs have attorneys accepted to practice at the CAVC. It requires a real juris doctorate and a $1500 a year registration fee. DAV and the rest do not have these law dogs. The moment you lose at the BVA, that's the end of the trail ride. You are forced to either go to the NVLSP for a pro bono attorney or find one on the private market as I did with Bob Walsh. Too many Vets think they get the legal all the way to the Fed Circus or the Supreme Court. Truth is, there aren't many who practice at the CAVC and a dang sight fewer at the Fed. Circuit. NVLSP has a contract with a few who are accepted at the Supreme Court. Otherwise, you hear Ken Carpenter's dulcet tones arguing most at the Fed. Cir. and even quite a few at the CAVC panel decisions.

In 1992, I won 0% +0% for hearing /tinnitus. I lost the big one on my back and DAV never told me I could go to the CAVC. In fact, they never mentioned the place existed. DAV (89-92), AmVets (94-95) and MOPH (2006-2008) all never told me I needed a nexus letter. I  finally figured it out myself and won  without them. The law has said you needed a nexus since 1945. Seems one of the  46 VSOs would have copped to that and shared it with us all these years. We now have a VCAA, 95 VSOs and still we see 50% of all claims on appeal with VSOs still crashing and burning with one thing in common---no nexus letter. How many of you think that is a coincidence or an unfortunate error?  Remember, VSO service reps have to go to school to learn this game. If all you need to succeed is three things and you have a rep who arrives with none, one or two, would you think he was still sharp as a tack? This isn't one of those Maxwell Smart "missed it by thaaaaaaaat much"! games. 

Edited by asknod

DAV is a major VSO Player, but your experience will only be as good as the service you get from the Rep and the main DAV office located at your RO. It only takes 1 bad experience to sabotage your claim or NOD and turn you off to your VSO. This is usually due primarily to the actions or inactions of the Rep, not necessarily the actual VSO. You can Trust, but you must VERIFY everything the Rep says and does on your behalf.

Keep in mind, VSO-Reps come in all shapes and forms, young, mature, experienced and inexperienced. Less experienced Reps pose a real problem for an UN-knowledgeable Vet, just as does a mature experienced Rep; that doesn't have the "fire in the belly." Just as in private industry, some Senior Employees have reached their level of Incompetence (Peter Principle) and are just biding their time till retirement. You definitely don't want this type of Rep handling your claim.

Use your VSO wisely, your informed, educated decisions should guide your claims and appeals paths. If your dissatisfied with your VSO, only change after you find 1 that has a staffed office at your RO that you can call, fax and Email Monday thru Fri and expect a same or following day response. VSO's don't like to sign a New Vet that has a DRO or BVA hearing pending, but if you press it, they will.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Asknod

I didn't know that buddy, well so for my DAV office  has not did anything to help me.

I know he will probably forward me a VA Letter when they send it to him or I hope he does? someone mention they have information on computer we can't get on e bennys  so that too was why I went with them . if they don't call you and let you know  then their help is useless in my opinion.

I had a DAV officer at my DRO Hearing at my RO a few years ago  all he did was sit there and never spoke up  the DRO had him to type up a TDIU Form and expedite it  that was about all he did  so  I'm thankful for that. 

So for I been getting GREAT information here at hadit and listen to John & Jerrel radio show program

I heard its hard to fire  a DAV Rep? so if I don't start getting any help from him I will find the correct form and ask he be released or  terminated  ,revoked   or in my thinking  ''you fired'' but I understand its not that easy to get rid of them.

I could go with my claim as long as I can and if need be contact  NVLSP

So what I might do if need be print off a nexus letter and take it with me to a private Dr ''specializing'' in my disability ...ask him to examine me, read some of my evidence medical records that pertain to my claim ect,,ec,, and let him know about the VA guidelines and the way they like things to be mention (LIKELY AS NOT'' and have him/her to fill out the nexus letter and give their opinion/impression  of my exam and pray that works.

Thanks Everyone!!!

....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'm sure it depends on the DAV rep.  Mine isn't that helpful and I pretty much got the feeling that I was bothering him so I probably won't go back to him.  With that being said, I'm sure there are some great DAV reps out there.  

No veteran should ever be made to feel like they are bothering their representative

The VARO called me yesterday to let me know I would be set up for C&P Exams soon.

The VSR said I could file my other things now as "new" and have all the exams done now rather than wait until later. I called DAV so they could put it in and my Rep. was out. I got the JERK guy who basically told me to do it myself.

Which I did. Filed via E-benefits yesterday afternoon, uploaded necessary documents which VARO already has and it only took about 10 minutes.

I was trying to find out about my appeal.  After I filed, the VA opened a new claim for same illness.  I have a new claim and pending appeal.  

I'm just wondering if they opened a new claim with new date because they plan on raising it?  Is that a possibility why they did that?  They could have just denied it without a new claim, correct?