Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thoughts on DAV

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

Just want to know what other users think of the DAV as a claims rep?  I won previous claims without help from them, then appointed them as rep.  Problem is, I can NEVER get in touch with them, and have a new claim and appeal in.  Would you guys recommend that I keep using them, or go at it alone?  Seems like they could care less about getting back to me.

The DAV has the best training program that I know of. As many have said, in the end, it depends upon the particular Veteran Service Officer (VSO) that you work with. Some are better than others.

Most VSO'S that I know submit their claims through another VSO. Another set of eye balls. Yes, you can submit your own claim. And, a VSO can't do anything that you can't. But, A VSO may be able to spot something that can help or hurt your claim.

My only problem is that they want me to submit everything through them, but I have deadlines to submit forms and evidence, and I can never get in touch with them.  So when I submit it myself, my VSO seems to get upset that I didn't go through them.  But after all, it's my claim, so I have to do what I think is best for me. 

I filed an appeal, and the VA opened a new claim for the same illness.  I am confused why they would do this, unless they are considering increasing my 0% rating.  After all, if they were going to deny it, they would have just done so, I'm assuming.  They also changed the date of claim, which I'm sure I will have to fight if they do increase the rating.  Otherwise, why would they open a new claim for same illness?  This is the info I am trying to get from DAV, but have not been able to get.

No veteran should ever be made to feel like they are bothering their representative

I completely agree with you; however, I also place a high emphasis on customer service no matter what your profession is and I go out of my way to help people (sometimes this does make one a doormat though).   Not everyone in customer service roles feel the same way and while it stinks, I am grateful that there are other representatives to choice from.  So far, I have pretty much navigated the process myself since I don't feel welcome with the DAV rep I have and I'm sure that's part of the reason my claim has taken longer to process than some.  I'd also like to give the benefit of a doubt and assume that my rep isn't trying to make me feel that way, but rather he's just blunt, to-the-point, and on to the next person because he's so busy.     

• HadIt.com Elder

DevilDog12

it is pointless  but some times  the luck of the draw  a veteran can get a good DAVSO that will help the veteran, but most cases he won't .

I use Hadit Information mostly and its  better than using a VSO.

However in some cases that are difficult or  unique  its always best to seek a good experienced VA attorney

If I could Afford a good attorney like John Dorle  or Bob Walsh  I'd sure sue them guys.

Chris Atig is also very good &, John Hill , but most of the information you need you can find right here on hadit, so let hadit members help you with your claim  they can assist you in what to do how to word your information and how to present your evidence  to what type claim you should file...and all this information is free,  when most of us win our claims we send Tbird a Donation to help keep the Hadit site up, but she don't require it , its all Volunteer

JMO

...........................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Several years ago, I talked with a VA attorney. Based on the details of my claim, they recommended waiting out my NOD and seeing what happened. If I was denied, they offered to sign on and help with a BVA appeal. Luckily, due to the great resources and members here at Hadit, I was able to win and did not need to get into the BVA line like I did for my original claim 20 years ago.

In my case, I was not about to be homeless nor was I critically ill the entire time. I was impressed that they listened and didn't just try to instantly sign me up. I can't say that one attorney is better than another, but everyone's situation is different.