VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Comp. Claim & C-File

Rate this question

Cope3

Question

I've been reviewing a lot of posts on here advising what to do while waiting for a Comp. Claim to be decided. One thing I noticed was that it's recommended to get your C-File. Which is good to hear because I put in for that first. The weird thing is the time tables though. According to eBennies,I put in my Privacy Act Request 10/14/15 and the estimated completion date is 10/24/16 - 6/20/17!! Whereas, the Comp. Claim was entered 12/22/15, was changed from "Under Review" to "Gathering of Evidence" today with estimated completion date of 5/19/15 - 9/23/15!

Definitely, not complaining about my Comp. Claim moving along quicker than expected! What I don't understand though, why is the Privacy Act Request going to take 1 - 1.5 years, compared to, the up to 9 months for the Comp. Claim? How can they decide Compensation quicker than sending me my C-File?! WTF?

If anyone has any information to add some clarity to this concern; it'd greatly be appreciated! Thanks

A lot of the angst for C File is appeals.  For a new claim, without much history, you really don't need it unless you get a denial.  After your claim closes, you would be better off getting the file, so its complete and you can document exactly what they did on your claim.

Just remember, depending on where your claim is in the process, and FOIA request for the c-file can add time to a claim. Agreed with pwrslm, you really don't need a c-file until either you are getting ready for an appeal or your claim closes. 

Your situation sounds very similar to my dad's claim. Submitted 12/16/15 same dates as you for completion. Do you mind me asking, did you submit a FDC?  Also, did you hit "Request a Decision" button on ebennies?

With the C-File dates, I won't have it until long after my claim is decided so I guess that aspect of things will work itself out.

4mydad: I am working with the DAV and they submitted my claim FDC. No, I did not hit/use the "Request a Decision" button.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go. They have until 2/24/16 to gather evidence. Then, I'm guessing I'll be getting C&P exam dates. The wait is very frustrating.