Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary to Service Connected Issue

Rate this question

ShuMan

Question

Is it true that for secondary issues you DO NOT need your in service medical records reviewed in order to obtain a Nexus letter?

And has anyone had any success in claiming secondary issues?

For example I am looking at putting in a claim for neck and hip pain secondary to my service connected lower back pain. I'm being treated for both neck and hip pain by my VA doctor. By treated I mean given Pain killers and muscle relaxers..lol

Thank you, Andyman73, i am going to look into that. This past year has been the worst of my life, healthwise. There have been a couple of times when i really thought i might lose my life. I appreciate your support and advice, and i am going to readdress the sleep apnea issue when i talk to my pcp. I dont plan on filing any claims for it, at this point i just dont want to go to all of the exams, I rarely leave the house.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
11 hours ago, flores97 said:

Thank you, Andyman73, i am going to look into that. This past year has been the worst of my life, healthwise. There have been a couple of times when i really thought i might lose my life. I appreciate your support and advice, and i am going to readdress the sleep apnea issue when i talk to my pcp. I dont plan on filing any claims for it, at this point i just dont want to go to all of the exams, I rarely leave the house.

Hey Flores,
A sleep study may actually be a beneficial option for you whether or not you file a claim for SA. My wife said I snored a lot and expected that to be the only thing found. Instead, they found I had SA and gave me a machine. My rheumatologist said my sleep study findings were consistent with fibromyalgia. When I manage to keep the mask on all night, I do have less fibro-related pain. If you have not had a sleep study yet, it might be worth the time. I had one appointment and filled out a lengthy questionnaire. I showed up for the sleep study late in the evening. They wired me up. In the morning, I was asked to come back the next night for testing with the mask, which I did. Not sure if your potential appointments might go the same way, but it could potentially offer you some additional relief. And if they happen to diagnose you with SA, they might opine it as secondary to your SC conditions.

Thank you, Vync, I am going to talk to my PCP about the sleep study. I don't wake up gasping for air every single night, I would say its about half the time I try to sleep, but its enough to be a problem. These past few months I've lost about ten-fifteen pounds, between the sleep issues, lupus, and gerd, and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia as well on Mar 11th. I'm extremely grateful for having the VA care, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that I have a lot of days when I come out of the vamc feeling worse than I did when I went in, lol. 

flores,

Are you SC for the GERD? If so, that may make it easier to connect the SA.  And SA with CPAP usage is a 50% rating.  When I did my sleep study, it was at a private provider.  I did it in one night, when I woke to use the bathroom, after 2 hours of sleep, the tech decided she had seen enough of sleep without the mask.  So I then slept the next 6 hours with mask on.  So I didn't have to come back a second time.  She told me that normally most testers need a 2 night test.  But I must have really studied up, I passed the test on the first try, which is to say, my symptoms were severe enough that they could dx me from a one night sleep study.

I agree with you on the VAMC remark.  You go in for a test, exam, or consult, and leave feeling like they didn't listen to you, or only checked what they wanted to, and not what you were in there to begin with.

Andyman, I'm working on getting sc for gerd, ibs-c, and urinary incontinence secondary to sc systemic lupus, to include medications taken to control the lupus. Im getting an IMO from Valor Compensation Consulting (Shuman is as well), and an IME from Dr Ellis in OK on Apr 19th, and ill submit the three issues as an FDC. I will post the opinions as soon as I receive them. I really appreciate the support from everyone, and Vync, did you say you have Fibro as well, what meds have they put you on? I am on duloxetine, which i believe is generic for cymbalta. Again, Vync, Andyman and Navy4life, thanks for the support.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use