VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

ArNG11

1 hour ago, Berta said:

Maybe this is causing the sleep problems ArNG11.

Waiting for a decision can be very stressful. Even when you know what to expect.

I went to get out my tea stash to spell this type of tea correctly, and came back to the PC,  and forgot where you posted about having some tea to hopefully alleviate to sleep issues.

I have friends who swear by Chamomile, no caffeine, tea , a cup before getting in bed.

I think honey is better than sugar if you want to sweeten it up. I don't think I have ever tried this one. Green Tea is my favorite.

Also I think what we do before trying to fall asleep is important

I have a friend who loved to read Steven King Novels at bedtime. She would toss and turn ,thinking Jack Nicholson was standing outside her house with an ax.

I like the Nancy Grace show at 8 PM and the autopsy shows on unusual deaths, on TV sometimes at night.

But they can stress me up too.

Many VA shrinks can perform hypnosis. One did that for my husband ,then taught him self hypnosis, and gave him a tape of the count down stuff to listen to at night.

It did help a little with his PTSD.

Lets hope that decision comes ASAP!

Yup the local honey has benefits and is better for you.  I think the tea that has worked for me in the past is a bedtime tea with chamomile, I'll have to look it again as I'm out currently. There was also an Earl Grey one that was pretty good as well. They do help, so does trying to quite your mind, personally I always have trouble with that one.

You're probably hitting it right on though, the stress of this process gets to a person after a while.

Congratulations, ArNG11!! I also have a claim in for IBS and Gerd/hiatal hernia (just found out about the hernia a couple of weeks ago). I didn't realize gerd and IBS were combined, I thought they rate those separately? Again, congrats!!

On February 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, R3dneck said:

?

I was referring to my IBS/GERD rating, it should have been at 10% for each and 30% when I had to get the surgical repair. Is that what you were referring to?

2 hours ago, flores97 said:

Congratulations, ArNG11!! I also have a claim in for IBS and Gerd/hiatal hernia (just found out about the hernia a couple of weeks ago). I didn't realize gerd and IBS were combined, I thought they rate those separately? Again, congrats!!

Thats how they have done it with my decision and others?  There is a separate code that with GERD,  IBS, ICS  can be rated separately without pyramiding. I have been looking into some CAVC cases on it.

§4.113   Coexisting abdominal conditions.

There are diseases of the digestive system, particularly within the abdomen, which, while differing in the site of pathology, produce a common disability picture characterized in the main by varying degrees of abdominal distress or pain, anemia and disturbances in nutrition. Consequently, certain coexisting diseases in this area, as indicated in the instruction under the title “Diseases of the Digestive System,” do not lend themselves to distinct and separate disability evaluations without violating the fundamental principle relating to pyramiding as outlined in §4.14. 

§4.114   Schedule of ratings—digestive system.

Ratings under diagnostic codes 7301 to 7329, inclusive, 7331, 7342, and 7345 to 7348 inclusive will not be combined with each other. A single evaluation will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability picture, with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation.

7346   Hernia hiatal:  
Symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss and hematemesis or melena with moderate anemia; or other symptom combinations productive of severe impairment of health 60
Persistently recurrent epigastric distress with dysphagia, pyrosis, and regurgitation, accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain, productive of considerable impairment of health 30
With two or more of the symptoms for the 30 percent evaluation of less severity

and 

7319   Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis, etc.):  
Severe; diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and constipation, with more or less constant abdominal distress 30
Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal distress 10
Mild; disturbances of bowel function with occasional episodes of abdominal distress 0

This is my argument in my claim for the digestive problems then add in the Nissen fundiplication repair but again I may be reading to much into the regs. The difference in my claim is that my private docs records indicate moderate problems where as the the VA raters and VA docs state mild.

Edited by ArNG11
doc reasoning

I was arguing this with my former attorney and he stated that it was pyramiding but I argued against as it doesn't necessarily mean that.  One can be rated at 0 and the other can be rated according to symptoms and severity.  Again this is just my opinion from what I have read and understand from eCFR and some CAVC I've been researching.

Edited by ArNG11

In any case I should probably split this post from my initial though as I am going into different topics. Apologies.  Thanks for the positive vibes though.

I'll try to post the latter of this post under the GERD topic.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use