Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reconsideration

Rate this question

Ratthemac

Question

I'm trying to get advice on my claim. I recieved 30% ptsd when I recieved my letter a lot of the things we did talk about were stated as things I didn't have to get to 50%. The lady that did my exam almost made me feel worse that I was, even asking if I had a service dog!

So I have been trying to get ahold of anyone who could give me guidence, amvets and DAV ive called everyday for two weeks and no one will call me back. I called the va and they advised me to do a reconsideration vs. Appeal. VA advised my wife to send in a letter as well as myself, and also a stressor letter. These were never things I was told before otherwise I would have done them. 

Is this the right way to go?

Edited by Ratthemac

If a PEBLO said that as to the month,...they might be correct.....I am glad you even have a PEBLO because they are often hard to find.

PEBLO means to me you are still in the military.....sorry I didn't catch that before.

On 4/2/2016 at 9:27 AM, Gastone said:

Ratthe

The ink on your Award letter hasn't really dried yet, would be a great time for your VSO-MFIC at your RO, to walk down the hall and do an Informal Reconsideration discussion with the Rater that handled you claim. I have no idea if it would work, worth a try right.

Have you obtained a copy of your PTSD C & P DBQ? If not, check your MHV Clinician Notes. Posting a REDACTED copy, would help us greatly.

Prior to your C & P, did you go over the VA PTSD DBQ? Your PTSD C & P, was a Forensic Exam, conducted by a "Supposedly" trained Forensic Examiner, Psychiatrist or Psychologist PhD. Any "unrelated small talk," was to just put you at ease. From the moment you walked into the Exam, everything you said and did, was used either against or for you.

Your 30% SC could be appropriate, we really don't know, at this point. Much more info is needed.

Do you have New & Material Evidence, that was not submitted and considered by the VA Rating Dept for your PTSD Claim? Feelings Don't Count. Without the NME, a DRO Review or Hearing would be Administratively Denied, not good, next stop BVA. Do you want to wait 4+ yrs for a Hearing?

Get with your VSO-Rep (In-person forget about call backs), for both the Informal Discussion and the Formal Reconsideration, no much hope there but worth a try. Get busy on putting any and all "NME" together for a DRO Appeal. Keep in mind, you don't need "NME" for the BVA Appeal.

What was the exact Date on your AWARD Letter, that's your NOD Drop Dead 12 month start date, DON'T MISS IT!

Semper Fi

I cannot get a hold of a VSO rep. They will not call me back. Same thing with Amvets, they all say they'll call me back but I cannot get anyone to talk to me let alone sit down with me.

I had to take a step back from this and just not think about it for a while. But I have my first appt. on April 27. What do I need to get from this appointment for my reconsideration/NOD?

I dont understand half of the terms listed above. My wife has written a letter that she was going to submit for my reconsideration/NOD. Do i need to take this with me to my appt or just submit straight to the va?

The date on my award letter was sep 12, 2015.

I can see why people just give up on this. I'm debating whether or not its worth it. I just dont know what to do, so much information i just dont understand.

How far do you live from your RO? I think most actual VAROs are set up the same way, maybe not.

At my RO in the Downtown Det Federal Bldg, VA Rating Dept Shares the 12th floor with about 6 or so VSOs. An in person visit is in order. Call to be sure the office is staffed, see if you can make an appointment with the MFIC.

Semper Fi

15 hours ago, Gastone said:

How far do you live from your RO? I think most actual VAROs are set up the same way, maybe not.

At my RO in the Downtown Det Federal Bldg, VA Rating Dept Shares the 12th floor with about 6 or so VSOs. An in person visit is in order. Call to be sure the office is staffed, see if you can make an appointment with the MFIC.

Semper Fi

What's a RO? I will check to see if I have one close. And what's the MFIC?

Thanks

Sorry about that, RO is your VA Regional Office. This is where the Rating Dept handling your Claim is located (unless your claim is sent to another RO for Rating due to an overload of claims), as well as the location that maintains jurisdiction and possession, of your C-File (Compensation File).

MFIC, usually there is always (1) person in charge of any group of people, workers, whatever, right. In days of yesteryear, most Jar Heads referred to him, as the MFr In Charge.

Which ever VSO (Vet Service Organization) VFW, DAV, Marine Corps League, etc will usually have a "Main" office, located on the same floor as the VA RO. Give your VSO RO Office a call and make an appointment to see the MFIC or his/hers Second in Command. Main RO VSO's computers have greater access to your Pending Claims/Appeal status and information.

Semper Fi