Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neurological exam

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Does anyone have any recent experience with neurological exams, the 8 hour variety?  My VA MH therapist is referring me to neuro to get scheduled.  He's quite interested in finding out what, if any, may be the cause of the holes in my memory.  Hmmm, wonder if maybe they can tell me why I experience deja vue (all over again) so often.

Apparently I was confused, when he told me previously that he wanted to go through a depression DBQ during our next session, which was Feb 29th. 

Honestly, Andyman, do the best you can. I tried to do my absolute best, and there were parts of certain tests when I was pretty embarrassed, I thought, Lord this Doc is going to think I'm the dumbest person alive if I cant even do this. That's why we are there. There were parts of the test I scored very high on, and parts where I was below 98% of the general populations scores, or "impaired'. As I mentioned above, particularly the story repeating and copying. I have severe problems with psychomotor abilities, and like you, my short term memory has gone on a long vacation. I also have absolutely no concept of spacial time, for example, when I do remember things it is very hard for me to remember if they happened a day or two ago or last week. It just all kind of blends together. I just went in and did the best I could on all the testing, as I know you will as well. The testing should be able to pinpoint what is causing the memory loss, in my case it is MDD due to Systemic Lupus. Good Luck, Andyman, try not to stress, as I said I found it pretty interesting and engaging.

4 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

Okay, so I won't worry about not being able to code, anymore, but then again, I never could anyway....so no loss there!

Well, my short-term memory is like a galaxy far far away, you occasionally see glimpses of light.  And my long-term memory, more like a galaxy much much  closer, you can see most everything, with dark spaces in-between the light. 

Or maybe it's the final frontier, where no person has gone before.

Mostly I just want it to come out in my favor, in relation to my claims.  My biggest rational fear is that after it's all over Ashton Kutcher will pop out and tell my how I've just been punk'd by the VA, and sorry 'bout my luck.

Andy trekie fan are we?  Your biggest fear, nah that would be pretty scary.  Take it easy Andy.

Yeah...I suppose it's a bit of a stretch to expect Ashton Kutcher to pop out behind a wall.

Maybe the "tribbles" will get me, eh?  I really don't want to be assimilated.

I'm not afraid of the testing, it's the results that I'm concerned about.  But that is one of the things I deal with on a daily basis, accepting that sometimes good things do happen for me.  So often the voices in my head tell me that no good deed goes unpunished, and what ever good I do, will credit someone else. 

I tried telling my MH therapist about that, but it went over like a lead balloon.  He was quick to dismiss it, saying to me to reflect back and see how often that came true.  So often I can see where what good I did went unnoticed, and every opposite action did not escape notice.  It's not that I have a long history of bad luck or dumb luck.  But a few situations that should have gone just slightly left or right of center, went way way off.

One example in particular, when I got picked up for being drunk in public, I had only gotten out of the backseat of my designated driver's car, when a deputy sheriff drove up.  Just like that, my friend and I were in for a free night's stay at the local gray bar hotel.  Due to outside influences we got dropped off at the main gate, where over a dozen MPs received us.  They were waiting for a couple of Marines who had been fighting, but instead got 2 happy drunks. 

One thing lead to another, and 90 days restriction and extra duty, loss of promotion, and loss of pay(suspended at the mercy of the court).  Oh, and a 21 day outpatient rehab stint on top of that.  Certainly more than being drunk in public, with no witness to any activity beyond arriving via designated driver, and getting out of the car, warranted.  Our designated driver was not allowed to witness to the fact that he had just driven us there from a local Country/Western music joint.  And my sergeant recommending the harshest penalty allowed by the UCMJ, because our SNOIC was TDY.

I recall reading in my SRB that my final command wrote that I was a "stay in the background let others get the credit" type of worker.  Always doing more than was required, and always willing to lend a hand wherever needed.  But in my SMR, from earlier at my first command, I was a "type A" personality.  Outgoing and energetic, despite having issues with my back and knees.  One was written before that incident, the other a few years later.

Tribbles do reproduce faster than rabbits.  But the borg won't assimilate if we are as damaged as we are.  I guess that is a positive,...may be,,  I don't know.  That makes more sense to me than the damn VA comp process.

I'd have a really hard time resisting "7 of 9", tho.  Even the Borg Queen would make short work of my will power.  Not sure which one would be the lesser of two evils, the Borg or the Daleks.  Do you suppose the Body Snatchers are disguised among the VA employees?

quick without the mrs reading that is a big AFFIRMATIVE on 7 of 9.  :blush: