Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I go from 100% IU to 100% P/T?

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Guys, I have a question you have probably answered hundreds of times, and I am just not knowledgeable in this area.  I am 100% IU (80% eyes and 50% PTSD).  I am "legally blind" in my life eye and my right eye is really getting bad.  My board certified ophthalmologist stated I have glaucoma in my right eye, and the added pressure of using my right eye to see because of no vision in my left eye has added to the limited vision.  My eye doctor wrote a letter stating that I could not do any kind of employment whatsoever (filing, sedentary work etc. ) and my vision would only get worse and had no chance for improvement.  I have submitted the letter to the VA.  I am also on SS, however, when I applied for social security disability I was denied, so instead I was turning 62, and just applied for SS (I don't know if that was a dumb mover or not).  Any advise you could give me, would be greatly appreciated.   I really want to thank all of you for the wealth of information that you provide, you have helped me out a great deal.  

Which SC got you the IU? The VA is very reluctant to say PTSD, especially at a 50% level, is T & P. As to "Legally Blind," in your left eye and problems with your right, might be another hard sell. If you don't try, you'll never know for sure.

Was your IU Award from an "Inferred IU Claim," referenced on your last Award?

As to your SSDI Denial, did you Hire an Attorney for the Appeal? If you just said, "F-It" and filed for early SS, you gave up 25% of your Full Boat SS, not good. You need a set down, with a local SSDI Attorney. If your Retro would be enough to cover his Fee, Great, if not, it would probably cost in the area of 12-$1500.00 for representation at the Hearing. Even if the cost were in the area of $2K, definitely worth the price, to pick up the additional 25% for what, 4-5 years. At the low end, that's what,  an additional $2500 per yr?

What State are you in? SSDI Attorney's Web Sites for your state will have a ton of info, check them out. Find a close one and get a free consult.

Semper Fi

Gastone  my eyes are rated at 80% along with PTSD at 50%   The VA CUE'D themselves on my eyes, increasing it from 60% to 80%.   I had submitted form 21-4128, and a letter from my "board certified ophthalmologist"  in which he stated I could not perform any type of working (sedentary, filing) and that the condition of my eyes would only worsen, with no possibility of improvement.

if I understand this correctly, when VA gave you the 80% they should have considered you for TDIU...did they?

Are you paid at less than the 100% rate of comp?

Has your PTSD gotten worse?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I forgot to add...I assume you cannot drive and cannot leave the house without assistance???

I would think that would make you eligible for the SMC S Housebound award.....not sure because I have a totally blind friend who, with her dog or her husband, who gets out a lot , but not a veteran.

Also, do you get the SMC K Award? That is explained here.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp15/Files4/1536373.txt

I am confused as to your rating....is it TDIU solely for the eye conditions,rated at 80%?

Or 100% solely due to blindness....Did, in the past decision, the VA make any statement at all ,as to SMC consideration?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta, the VA is paying me at 100% based on my 80% eyes, and I also have 50% for PTSD.   (My PTSD has gotten worse as well).  Is IU actually TDIU?  I am confused.  I was at 90%, when I filled out form 21-4136 and a letter from my eye doctor, stating I cannot work, any type of employment due to the condition of my eyes. Nothing no sedentary, filing, etc.   He stated the eyes will only get worse, never improved because of the damage that I had suffered, which is service connected.   Then the eye doctor told me I have developed glaucoma in the right eye, as a result of the stress of not really being able to see out of my left eye.  He said my vision is getting worse and worse.     I am considered "legally blind" in the left eye.  I never received any information about SMC K award.  They did send the  BBE information pertaining to individuals who have limited eyesight, and being  blind.   I don't drive hardly at all.  Maybe a couple of blocks, only in the daytime and right near my house, which is very, very rare.   I  actually never go out,  except to appointments (medical) and I usually have someone drive me, or take the assisted van to the appointment.  I still have several other issues that were part of my DRO hearing two weeks ago.