Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Windows 8.1

john999

• HadIt.com Elder

My windows which is 8 is forcing me to upgrade to 8.1, but when I try to upgrade it fails and shuts down and has a fit.  I tried just a little bit ago to just upgrade to Windows 10 and that failed.   What am I or my machine doing wrong?

• HadIt.com Elder

What version of Windows 8 do you have?  Windows 8 Home edition, Windows 8 Professional?  If you click on the windows icon in the lower left part of the screen - then start typing cmd you'll see "Command Prompt" - open that and it will open up a old looking DOS window (Command line prompt) - with a black background.  Once there - type:  ver

This will tell me what version of Windows you're running.

Also you say that the upgrade fails - can you provide more details on what the error is that you're getting when it fails?

Suggestion - is to disable all antivirus applications / firewalls, etc then try the upgrade.  With this other information (what error you're getting - can help me know what type of error you're getting, which can mean different things.

Last suggestion not knowing the exact errors you're getting is when in the DOS (cmd) window - type this:

chkdsk C: /F 

It may take awhile for this to run as it looks for any bad sectors on your hard drive and always repairs any system files that may be corrupt or missing.  Hope this helps - will be looking for your response on what specific errors you are getting - be detailed as possible and I will be able to help you faster and be more clear on what's causing the problem.

• HadIt.com Elder

"disable all antivirus applications / firewalls, etc then try the upgrade"

That's usually the issue!

I have two running 8.1, 3 running 7, and one "netbook" using XP.

• HadIt.com Elder

Although I upgraded to windows 10  when it was free & I don't like windows edge/but I upgraded to it  eh!....I like the older version of windows7 internet explorer better, but its a lot of what you get use to I suppose  but -upgrades are good to keep up with   go with the times  eh! 

You have gotten some good advice.  I agree with buck to try a Checkdisk. Also try this and the ideas that follow:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_8-windows_install/common-windows-8-to-81-upgrade-problems/913bbc8e-7280-4858-b303-a123a4065414  

This has to be ran in the administrator mode.  To get to the admin mode, RIGHT click the dos prompt and click "run as administrator".  It may then ask for the admin password, hopefully you know it.  

Then, when the dos prompt opens in the admin mode, type

"CHKdsk /f" without the quotes.  It will tell you it cant run now, and ask if you want to schedule at reboot.  Respond "Y" for yes.  Then reboot and it should check your disk and fix errors.  

There is also another more thorough built in program called system file checker.  To intiaite it, also at command prompt, type "SFC /scannnow" and enter.  

You can also get help for online upgrade problems here:  

John, Windows 8/8.1 was originally written for the Windows Phone NOT for PCs.  One of the Win10 options is to create installation media.  I highly suggest doing that option.  For one thing it will stop you from having to download gigs of date when something goes wrong. (And something will always go wrong!)  The only Win10 problem I experienced was with Dell's Data Security Suite.  Once I uninstalled that, Windows 10 installed without a hitch.

With a few tweaks, you can get Windows 10 to look and act like Windows 7 which I believe was MS best operating system.  Not many of us have huge touch screens on our desktops, so much of the new interface is worthless to us.

If you continue to have problems, feel free to PM the error messages you receive and I will be glad to try to sort out the problem.