Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is C-File Request Considered A Claim

Rate this question

gs106

Question

Things at the VA may have changed, I doubt it, took 13 months to receive my C-File in 01/14. I had completed the FOIA request at my RO HQ. At that time, C-Files were copied and Vets received anywhere from a couple inches (Mine was about 9in), to multiple boxes fo files.

I don't recall any recent discussion as to C-File requests arriving on CD's. Supposedly all New and ?? older C-Files are digitized. Going thru 9in of C-Files was a real pain. Check out Ask Nod's post about his C-Files, looks like he needs a separate room for storage.

If you have the time and inclination, take a day trip to your RO. "Supposedly," Vets can view their C-Files without an appointment, 1st come, 1st served, M - F 8am to 4pm. Copies of selected pages can be made while your there.  I plan to give it a try, just to see if it works.

Semper Fi

Forgot to mention, the FOIA Request showed up on my E-Ben as a claim filing within about a week of submitting the request. As I recall, it still indicated pending for about 3 mos after I actually received the C-File.

In 2013, the RO Front Desk Rep, had me complete a Statement in Support of Claim, stating I was Filing a FOIA Request for my C-File.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Why would Requesting your C-FILE be considered filing a compensation claim?

Veterans has the right to  ALL his Military records  Rather or not he needs is C-file prior filing a claim(to review his records) or just to review his C-file  to see what all is in it.

jmo

...................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I don't know Buck but it showed that I had two open claims and one of then was for privacy act request....that has to be the c-file request don't you think?

Freedom of Information Act / Privacy Act Request

Under Review

Attention:

Status Has Changed

Same thing on mine. I sent a letter requesting my C-file last July.

Status of Your Claim

Gathering of Evidence

• Submitted: 07/08/2015 (Freedom of Information Act / Privacy Act Request)
  • Estimated Completion: 11/29/2017 - 11/05/2018

The time it takes to complete you claim depends on factors like the type of claim and the type of disability claimed.

The estimated dates are based on a statistical analysis of historical processing times for similar claims. Some things you should know:

• Historical data may not accurately predict current conditions. Your claim may take longer.
    • Dates may change as the statistical analysis is updated.
    • Some claims will take longer than the range of dates given as they are based on an average.

Submitting the supporting documentation that has been requested quickly and electronically is the surest way to get your claim decided as quickly as possible.

• Disabilities Claimed: Privacy Act Request (New)
  • Representative for VA Claims: VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS OF THE US
  • Current Status: Gathering of Evidence