Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

R762

Question

Are there any other Veterans on here that were at the Pentagon 9/11-9/30 for search and rescue/recovery? I was denied PTSD in 2005 (VA said it wasn't service connected), I appealed it, but never received a letter that the appeal was denied, at that point I said f-it and gave up on the VA. I created an ebenefits account recently (December 2015) and it says that appeal decision (denied) was made in March 2006. I am still having issues. I am reopening the claim for PTSD. I have the VA ROI from 2005 that shows all the VA Psychologist and LCSW notes on file chronic PTSD and GAF:40. I was going to that VA clinic 2004-2006. went back in 2009 to get prescription for nightmares and flashbacks. shit is still not going away.

2 hours ago, Berta said:

WOW, that is a beauty----- you will need New and Material evidence for the re open of the PTSD claim and this and anything else you can find will cause them to re open it.

Is the DAV repping you again on this?

The potential CUE rests on a future SC for PTSD. No time limits for that type of claim which I could help with....and please refer any vet rep you get to those BVA decisions too...

BVA decisions cannot be used for evidence but sometimes they reveal the errors VA made in past denials.

I have the PTSD exam on 22APR16, is there a way to direct message you? Thanks for the help you are giving all of us veterans.

Edited by R762
typo

No I cannot be directly contacted but I am very glad the DAV is repping you and there is considerable advice here on PTSD exams.

Some here do have their email addys open. Don't know who does however.

Like they say , forget the childhood trauma if there was any.... VA likes to deny on that basis sometimes, be honest, do not exaggerate, show the C & P doc that DD 2897, and anything else you feel would help.... but sometimes they don't want to look at stuff a vet brings in.

The most important part of a PTSD exam is how the disability affects your ability to gain and attain substantial employment.

Are you employed presently, and if not do you get SSDI, and if so is it solely for PTSD?

An SSDI award solely for PTSD, with proof of the nexus to service that I do feel you have here, is excellent evidence for a TDIU award (paid at 100% rate of comp.)

The rating info is here at the VA Schedule of Ratings link, about half way down the scroll bar, for diagnostic code 9411.

I have a feeling this will go well for you and cannot imagine they would possibly deny you again.

But many of us are hardcore VA claimants and ,as one myself, I learned the VA can pull all sorts of BS to get out of awarding claims.

Some of the raters however do a good job and do it right.

Others will chime in about how those exams go..

I never had a PTSD exam. I am a civilian.

I probably do have PTSD however

from the VA claims process itself.

• HadIt.com Elder

My PTSD  C&P exam went well  the Examiner was a Phyistrist and just read off the computer what the VA sent and most of what they sent did provide the necessary documentation records and Dr's statements that I provided as evidence, after your stressor's are confirmed  then its just your symptoms they look at to actually give you a rating.

Take what you can as for as anything that maybe beneficial to your claim  (or anything you feel the examiner needs to put in his/her report that will help your claim) in case the examiner don't have it.

so I took just about everything I  sent the VA....Just the things that are pertaint to your claim with out having so many pages   ..I reduced mine down from about 100 pages to around 25 by  searching through all of it  before my C&P.and organized it in a neat and easy way to find in my binder  with a top sheet

just listen closely as to what the examiner says and if you have a question or want to present something the examiner don't have  just ask...and if he/she says no  then have that with you  so you can show it to the examiner , because there no way they can put it in the computer then  ...but they can mention it in there report.

I had taken extra copies with me to my exam and I ask  if a certain condition was in the computer that may help or be beneficial to the rater to help decide my symptoms better

she said she didn't see it ? ...so I pulled out my folder and let her read it (VA Dr'Note) ..she didn't need to keep my copy  but she stated it in her report.

Also I say be honest about everything and be able to back up what you say  ( medical evidence ) is the most important.

jmo

...................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I'll put a redacted statement of my & PTSD C&P Report on here as soon as I get time. I was given a 70% PTSD Rating  but I was already 100% TDIU P&T.....

But that makes no difference in the PTSD rating However  it did qualify me for statutory SMC and I got SMC-S H.B.

..........................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

On second thought its a 10 page report.

Its a DBQ  for initial PTSD Questioner by/for the Examiner

not sure the form #? but if  you can get your hands on this form  you can read the questions that are ask.

I got a 70%rating, the examiner addressed all the questions correctly, I have good Hygiene and dress causal ...and I can take care of my $$. ...so for this reason I was not awarded 100%

23 hours ago, Berta said:

WOW, that is a beauty----- you will need New and Material evidence for the re open of the PTSD claim and this and anything else you can find will cause them to re open it.

Is the DAV repping you again on this?

The potential CUE rests on a future SC for PTSD. No time limits for that type of claim which I could help with....and please refer any vet rep you get to those BVA decisions too...

BVA decisions cannot be used for evidence but sometimes they reveal the errors VA made in past denials.

I did not find any denial or appeal letter from the VA in our files. The only in service records I have that shows I had concerns (while in service) was my exiting exam (ETS exam) 3 months before I got out of active duty.

I went down to the Region VA Office, where I met with a VA rep. I was trying to see what the VA had on file for me for me C-file. I would think that this was on in their files somewhere. but, Murphy's Law, his computer station locked up. He took my Soc.Sec. No. and phone number and said he would call me back.

I told him I have a document while in service dated 20040526 that had the regimental medical officer noting that I was having "nightmares stemming from operations at Pentagon". He was surprised that the compensation ruling was denied back then. He said he would look and call me back asap.

Here lies my understanding (please let me know if this is correct):

1. If the mil. medical report is not on file, my paper work would be "new evidence".

2. IF the mil. med. report IS in their files, would this be CUE?

to Answer your questions:

I do have a job, but am limited by how long I can concentrate without impeding flashbacks/memories due to numerous triggers. I have been seeing private counseling since last summer. I have bills like everyone else, my wife takes care of that stuff, I just go work. I am not seeking 100% I am semi functional. although I am pigeon-holed at my work due to my efficiency. My bosses are aware that I have flashbacks/nightmares. I limit my exposure to potential triggers, so do they. I go to counseling at lunch on Tuesdays and group therapy on thursdays though private practice. every other friday I attend ptsd group at VA.