Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

This sums up some of it for VA and VHA

Rate this question

Meddac

Question

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/04/17/newt-gingrich-veterans-administration-grievously-sick/

I'm not real in-tune with the VHA side of things, but I do know that it is severely broken. On the VBA side of the house I agree that the Appeals backlog is huge as reported in the story. If VA shifts resources to address it then the claims backlog will once again skyrocket. The see-saw of priorities goes on and the taxpayers are funding it.

In the VA they literally refer to all of this type of news as "job security", and it really is just that. The Union protects employees, but too often it's the wrong employees. The internal process is so far gone that I don't think it can ever recover. Not even a complete sweep of management will solve the VA's problems because it goes much higher and lower than that.

I could spend all day on this forum trying to educate, inform, and expose.....but I don't want to be on some TV show with my wife telling the world how I failed to get stuff done around the house!! :wacko:

Edited by Meddac

49 minutes ago, Berta said:

This BVA case explains in more detail ,with an OGC Pres Op cited, as to how VA determines if a marriage is valid.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp10/Files6/1048320.txt

Berta,

I stand very humbly corrected. My dependency reg knowledge is rusty at best. I dealt a lot more with other issues.

i have edited my previous post so as not to reflect incorrectly.

Thank you for keeping me in line.

It also hasn't been made clear exactly why the common law marriage was denied (is it illegal where she is?)

Edited by Meddac

WHOA WHOA, TWO DIFFERENT CASES GUYS SORRY FOR THE CONFUSTION. The marriage one was from Alaska then AZ and had nothing to do with the Hep C case which is the one who was requesting the 686 for the DIC, Death benefits, etc. that were and are being denied and this case is under appeal with her as a substitute.

Ok, so you are speaking about 2 completely different cases, and I am extremely confused now... Your posts seem to intertwine the cases, and make things kinda unclear.

Piecemeal information about 2 completely separate cases won't help with either case because of the confusion.

The Hep C case is requesting a 686, right? Did they say why they need the 686? If they don't have the information to make her a dependent then how has the Substitution been accepted? VA is supposed to review the substitute claimant to ensure that they qualify for a Substitution case. Is this the case where the marriage was only 6 months?

It's been hard to follow at best. Sorry for that.

Yes, I am definitely confused too Meddac...and decided not to reply here again until the info gets clarified.....with some actual VAOLA docs attached.

Ok the Hep C case.  That is under appeal and the wife HAS been accepted as the substitute BUT when she filed for the Death benefits, DIC, etc. they now want a 686.  I do not believe she would get DIC any how because he was only 40% but they should pay for the funeral and accompanying bills right?  And no these folks were married for over five years. 

I went and asked the VA, do you have a 686 on file.  They said no, but the have in the C file   VA  "SNIPPING TOOL" ??? document from the vets claim when he was alive and it shows her relationship as spouse, SS#, and DOB. As I said she was listed as a dependent PRIOR to the VETS death but NOW they want the 686 and have denied her benefits (burial etc.)  Question is IF she was a dependent during the VETS claim when he was receiving benefits why is she not a dependent now?  And as you mentioned why did they accept her as a substitute. 

Sorry about the confusion I will keep the other claim out of the conversation. I apologize for muddying the waters, it is just that I am soooooo stressed out with these folks at the VA.

Q

Here is what is in the VA veterans "C" file that shows a dependent.  Hope that clarifies it.

VA SNIPPET.jpg