VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I get medical records???

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

I am having the hardest time trying to get my husband's medical records.  He was hospitalized in GA before being medically discharged in 2004 due to adjustment and personality disorder.  He was again hospitalized in Waco, TX in 2013 where he was diagnosed with PTSD.  I've requested these records a couple of times, and I keep getting his DD-214 (which I have plenty of copies of) or the run around (files have been moved).  I now know why so many veterans give up in this big loop!!  Does anyone know a shortcut or have a contact who can help me?  I don't want to give up on my husband..

3 minutes ago, Berta said:

If he has a claim pending, the SMRs (service records) could be at the VARO by now.

In any event have you tried www.archives.gov yet?

Click on the Veterans records button and he will need to fill out the  SF 180. I suggest he ask for all Personnel records too for his time in service.

Unless the site has changed, he will need to print off a bar coded thing from the Archives site, then he should sign it, make a copy of it, and mail it to where they say on the form.

It will take time to get them. I received a packet  from NARA ( National Archives) telling me that they had enclosed my husband's USN records, but his USMC military records were with the Buffalo VARO.

That is where they were supposed to be so I was glad to get that confirmed.

His VA medical records can be requested via the Privacy Act or Records Access Officer at the VAMC he uses.

SSA gets these records as well..if he has applied for SSDI or SSI ,but they usually send them back to where they got them from,once they make their decision..

Hi Berta.  In November, our rep who is helping us submitted his intent to apply for disability.  January timeframe, he send in a request to archives.gov for service related documents and his c-file to decide if he should re-open his original claim (that was denied back in 2004) or file a new one.  We received the documents related to his service, but no medical records or the c-file.  I re-submitted another request to archives.gov for his hospitalization records and I just got back his DD-214 yesterday in response to this request.  I'm so frustrated.  I've faxed in requests to the hospitals he was admitted to to try to get the records that way.. I'm not quite sure what to do anymore.

3 minutes ago, Berta said:

If he has a claim in progress or files one, the VA will want his authorization to obtain any private medical records he has.

Has he contacted the Texas Facility himself to see how to get copies of those records?

In 2010 VA changed the PTSD regulations. He must obtain a PTSD diagnosis  from a VA MH health care provider . They will not accept a private

diagnosis under the 2010 regulations. Still, those records would be important to have.

He received his PTSD diagnosis from the VA hospital in Waco where he was admitted to for 5 days in 2013, so he has the diagnosis, but trying to get these records is like pulling teeth!

NARA does not have any records from the VA or from private hospitals.

Can you scan and attach their Reason and bases for the last denial? Can you attach the evidence list as well?

I am wondering if the VA too did not receive his inservice medical records when they made that last decision.

As the Vet  rep advised, I am sure, he will need to send VA New and Material evidence to re-open the claim.

That would be any records such as the WACO private records, or anything else they have not seen yet.

Please cover C file number prior to scanning the denial.

In 1981 I tried to get my Army husband's med recs from a large private hosp and I called the Director who told me who I had to speak to and they also charged me for the copies, unlike VA does...(.first copies are free).

Every hospital has a web site these days and through  this one's (in Texas) web site I am sure you will find a contact number or email addy for someone who will help him get them.

I say him and not you because he will need to sign for them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Waco would be his RO

I'd go pay them a visit sign a FOIA and ask to see his c-file..if his c-file is there?   some of ther staff will be there watching  to make sure nothing is taken out or added to

but you may finf what you need in his c-file,

you can also call NPRC Archives in St Louis and let them know what records you want  just say you want all the records they have   you will need to send them a FOIA or SF 180...each time you write the NPRC (National Personal Records Center)

They did me the same way   kept sending me my DD-214 & I kept asking for my records...Finally a lady called me that was working  my request and ask me what all I needed from them...so I told her and in about a week I got what I needed.

I would think that his SMR's would be at St Louis?

However I read in some VA News I think from Ms Tbird here on hadit  the News About VA  & I read that Bob McDonald  was or transferring military record's to a new location in Ohio?

check at the VA Hospital there in Waco for any medical records they may have also.

jmo

.........................Buck

1 hour ago, Berta said:

NARA does not have any records from the VA or from private hospitals.

Can you scan and attach their Reason and bases for the last denial? Can you attach the evidence list as well?

I am wondering if the VA too did not receive his inservice medical records when they made that last decision.

As the Vet  rep advised, I am sure, he will need to send VA New and Material evidence to re-open the claim.

That would be any records such as the WACO private records, or anything else they have not seen yet.

Please cover C file number prior to scanning the denial.

That would definitely be helpful if he had it.. We're trying to get a copy of his c-file, but do not have it as of yet.