VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

EODCMC

Question

Hi, I am a 30 year retired vet. I retired 13 years ago. I as recently diagnosed with "very severe" obstructive sleep apnea. The machine they gave me is preset on the highest output flow. My episode exceed 35 times an hour with some lasting more than 30 seconds. 

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a couple of years prior to retirement and the study and diagnosis is documented in my record. In fact, they wanted to operate on my uvula. There lies the rub. The operation could have ended my career so I didn't persue. Additionally, while on active duty I developed severe chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis and this also is documented in my service health record. I have been living with this and chalking it down to getting old.

Fast forward...I recently got a machine that they say I have to wear for the remainder of my life. I just learned that Tricare Prime does not pay for it all. So, I researched online and submitted a claim the E-benefits and it has been received and was under review until today when they changed this to "gathering of evidence" Development Letter Sent.

Does anyone know what this means? What do I have to look forward to concerning the process. I watch the news. It doesn't look good, right?

thanks in advance.

New Status: My Wounded Warrior Rep emailed me that they granted both conditions and it will be finalized in a few days. I went on ebenefits and the status went to Pending Decision Approval with an estimated completion of 10/19-10/21.

OK, moved to  PREPARATION FOR NOTIFICATION 

Estimated Completion: 10/20/2016 - 10/21/2016

Can anyone help me understand what is next? Is there anyway I can see the award before it comes in the mail? I am going on travel Fri and probably won't see my mail until after Nov 4.

After Preparation for Notification, it is then sent out to the Vet, assuming a second review was OK'd. Usually 5-10 business days depending on the mail and distance, from when it changes to Notification Sent.

What I did (similar situation, was not home for the mail, granted it never ended coming. Guess it was lost...) but under eBennies, there is a section that reads "Disabilities" on the left hand column.  If you click on that, it shows you your disability ratings. I used that to see if I was awarded or denied a claim.  The other thing you can do is on MyHealtheVet, look at your medical documents, and look for the C&P reviews.  Sometimes, the reviewer puts on there whether or not they think the condition is SC or not.  Nerve wrecking waiting for the stuff to go through the system, and also to get the decision letter, especially when you're not home....

Please note, that the information updated online is not always instant, so give it some time.  In my case, I was able to figure out what happened, well in advance of any paperwork in the mail.  Granted it never arrived but still, I figured it out in 1 week from when it moved to Notification sent.

The notification letter will state if you were awarded or denied, on what merit/grounds, and if you were awarded your claim, then you get a percentage, monthly pay amount, and a retro-date if applicable.

Thanks Marine. My Service Rep emailed me that I was awarded on both claims but hasn't responded to my query concerning %.

i read on here a couple of times that the $ finds it's way in my account via direct deposit before the notification letter reaches me. I was hoping for confirmation.