Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
EODCMC

Sleep Apnea Claim

Question

Hi, I am a 30 year retired vet. I retired 13 years ago. I as recently diagnosed with "very severe" obstructive sleep apnea. The machine they gave me is preset on the highest output flow. My episode exceed 35 times an hour with some lasting more than 30 seconds. 

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a couple of years prior to retirement and the study and diagnosis is documented in my record. In fact, they wanted to operate on my uvula. There lies the rub. The operation could have ended my career so I didn't persue. Additionally, while on active duty I developed severe chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis and this also is documented in my service health record. I have been living with this and chalking it down to getting old.

Fast forward...I recently got a machine that they say I have to wear for the remainder of my life. I just learned that Tricare Prime does not pay for it all. So, I researched online and submitted a claim the E-benefits and it has been received and was under review until today when they changed this to "gathering of evidence" Development Letter Sent.

Does anyone know what this means? What do I have to look forward to concerning the process. I watch the news. It doesn't look good, right?

thanks in advance.

EODCMC,

Same here, just went to gathering evidence or as we like to call it gathering dust stage!!! First of all, was it a standard claim or a FDC so called fast claim? If it was a FDC (fast claim) then the expected wait time should be posted in the claim application. Probably around 6 months. Either way, this is usually the longest stage of the game, so sit back and relax and find a good hobby that will take your mind off this process. Many a vet including myself have driven themselves crazy by looking at ebenefits every hour expecting it to change. By what you are saying you should have no problem getting your claim approved but, you never know with the VA.  Anyway, Welcome to the HADIT Family!!!!  Spend some time researching stuff here and remember knowledge is power when it comes to the claim game!!!

Silver

12 hours ago, EODCMC said:

diagnosed with sleep apnea a couple of years prior to retirement and the study and diagnosis is documented in my record

I believe that this would establish the SC, and the 'prescription' of the CPAP by the VA meets the 50% criteria, without having actually seen any of the evidence.  That shows an in-service diagnosis and a current diagnosis. I think where many Vets run into problems is that they never get the diagnosis to begin with, while in service, so they are forced to rely on 'Buddy Statements' or have to try and tie it in as a Secondary.

DEFINITELY order a full copy of your service medical records (if you haven't already) and start gathering any other private medical records, etc.

I think you are now in the 'waiting game' stage of the process, and there are too many variables to pin down exactly how long this stage will take you. It varies by location, claim, etc, etc.  Next, you should get a C&P exam.  Do not get to 'wrapped up' in what Ebenefits says.  It is a useful tool, but it does not accurately portray the internal process of the VA, so it can cause a lot of frustration.  Good luck!

• Like 3

Original poster  the VA Should give you a C-PAP to use and all the equipment  hoses.Mask..you need to use distilled water.

Anyone that has Sleep Apnea /OSA  needs to be using a C-Pap/Bi-Pap machine.

For some  reasons the VA is turtle slow on getting VietNam Veterans their C-File....but some do get their C-File within 3 /4 months.

I guess the C-file for us Vietnam Vets got lost in the mail room.

Next Month (June) will be a year for me and I requested it twice during this last year...and not a word from them..I do have the greencard receipts

I need my C-file bad  I wonder if it has been didtized and on CD? 

Could I make an Unexpected Visit to RO?

And  ask for it that way?

jmo

....Buck

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, EODCMC said:

If there is anyone with apnea experience, I have one question that I can't find in my research. Is 50% and 100% the only rating you can get or can someone be rated somewhere in between?

There is nothing between 50 and 100%.  You can get:

Persistent day-time hypersomnolence ................................... 30

Travis

Edited by hilltravis
Formatting
  • Like 1

Yeah, SA is pretty much a half or nothing, or all or nothing kinda deal.  Which is one of the main reasons the VA probably resists it so much. I think SA or OSA with out Cpap should be 30%, with = 50% and O2 added in should be 70-100%, or  something like that.

Semper Fi

• Like 2