VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Psychiatric Evaluation!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I have a question on my Psychiatric Evaluation. The SS sent me to see a psychiatrist for a mental exam approx. 4 weeks ago. They sent a copy to my doctor.

At the end of his report under "FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT & MEDICAL SOURCE STATEMENT" he wrote:

"At this point he would be too anxious to work in any environment. He would not be able to attend. He would not be productive. He should have psychotherapy related to this and I suspect with time he will desensitize. However, this will be a long-term process".

Under the SS rules with the main criteria being whether or not a person can work at any job, wouldn't you think that the SS should give me disability, or am I trying to be too logical.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I have a question on my Psychiatric Evaluation. The SS sent me to see a psychiatrist for a mental exam approx. 4 weeks ago. They sent a copy to my doctor.

At the end of his report under "FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT & MEDICAL SOURCE STATEMENT" he wrote:

"At this point he would be too anxious to work in any environment. He would not be able to attend. He would not be productive. He should have psychotherapy related to this and I suspect with time he will desensitize. However, this will be a long-term process".

Under the SS rules with the main criteria being whether or not a person can work at any job, wouldn't you think that the SS should give me disability, or am I trying to be too logical.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

Sounds good to me but you never know with SS. Usually the state Disability Determination Unit makes the decision and SSDI just agrees with them. Good luck.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I sure hope that you don't take my observation too seriously.

I am not sure what you wished the physician to say, but it reads to me" He thinks that you haven't the sense of a bed bug."

I feel that I can say this, for the C&P Psychiatrist gave me a Gaf of 40, so that puts us both in about the same class.

I sure don't mean to offend you, sure hope this is what you wanted the doctor to say.

I would say, knowing the rules of SS, you will receive your benefits.

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Josephine,

I appreciate your response and no I do not take offense. I am suffering from depression and anxiety after suffering from a heart attack almost 1 year ago. My VA GAF is also 40 and the shrink gave me 50 on his Axis V GAF.

Hope you are right about :

"I would say, knowing the rules of SS, you will receive your benefits"

Thanks, Brian

• HadIt.com Elder

Brian

Are you service connected for the heart or the anxiety and depression? That report should be good for IU and SSDI. Usually, it is good for the SSA doctor to say you will be totally disabled for at least one year.

• HadIt.com Elder

Brian,

I just wanted to say it in simple terms.

I did my daughters SS and with no problem. She won 100% Total and she was only 34 at the time. Bipolar.

As for me, I have had anxiety and depression since 1964 thanks to the U.S. Navy.

I have opened a can of worms with my new filing.

I started in 1978 and have re-opened with New and Material Evidence. I was to receive an answer from the AMC this December, but found out this past Friday that the lawyers caught where someone had marked off that they had received my complete administrative and medical records from the Archives, but they never placed the request.

The AMC has now put in a Stat order for them. Finally the AMC should have their own copy by Friday!

I have only given the AMC two complete copies of my Adminitrative Records and I had the Archives Aimme them a statement that there are no more medical files for me at the archives.

I feel that I will win this claim, the laws of retro- I don't know.

Take Care,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Brian

Are you service connected for the heart or the anxiety and depression? That report should be good for IU and SSDI. Usually, it is good for the SSA doctor to say you will be totally disabled for at least one year.

John, I currently have a claim in for my heart, trying to get SC. I was medically discharged in 1966 with a heart condition. I recently had a heart attack and have depression with anxiety. I have not worked for almost a year. All my doctors have said that I am unable to work. The SS shrink said that I will not be able to work ever again. I am 60 years old and am only a couple years away to SS anyway.

Thanks again, Brian