Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Which mask and technique for the CPAP

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

This may be posted in the wrong place, if so, I trust that it will be moved to the proper place.

I have to admit that my newly issued VA  CPAP is really helping me sleep better. I feel much more rested and rejuvenated when I awake in the mornings. I have the full face mask in the size, large. I get a good seal when I first turn on the machine but when it ramps up to full pressure it looses the seal and wakes me up. I can stop and restart the machine and get a good seal until it ramps up again and it wakes me up again. This is repeated multiple times in the night. So many Veterans on this site use VA issued machines that I might get an idea of how to correct my problem. I am thinking that the large size mask is too big. Anyone else having the same problem?

If the mask looses a seal when it hits full pressure, from my understanding you don't have a 'tight' enough fit.

Have you considered/tried/been offered the alternative to the mask, a nose pillow?  Reason I ask is because I was having issues with the face mask.  Yes it gives you a better seal because its your nose and mouth, but since I tend to sleep on my side, the mask kept getting pushed off my face and then breaking the seal.  Nose pillow was more comfortable, less straps around my face and head.  They do recommend that you use a special strap to keep your mouth shut while you sleep.  The nose pillow sits under your nose, very small.  Not quite sure how to put an image into the response, but if you google "resmed cpap nose pillow" you'll see it.  First couple images, that's the one I was issued.  ResMed CPAP machine.

Sorry its not a direct answer on your face mask question, but thought this might help some.

Actually Marine, you may have hit the nail on the head! I like to, and am used to, sleeping on my left side, and you are right, that does result in the mask being pushed off of my face. We, in the CPAP class had the option of selecting our mask from a selection of three different type mask. including the nose pillow. I am a mouth breather and the nose pillow requires the chin strap, that didn't sound good to me. We were measured and fitted for our particular chosen type mask. They selected the the large size for me.

I will tighten the mask straps some more but they are fairly tight now. They say that about half of the time the problem is that the mask is too tight. I tried loosening the straps, "wrong". They also offer a gasket of some sort to get a better seal. Maybe I need the gasket. I have used the machine enough to know that if I can get a good seal at the mask I am going to be able to live a better life, not being so tired and sleepy all of the time. They also offer a special pillow for side sleepers. Too bad, but understandably you can't just call VA and order one of everything they have.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have this problem too & night sweats and nightmares don't help.

My C-PAP is a VA Issued Res-Med.

after you fill up the water resevior with distilled water only and plug it in put your mask on make sure you get a good seal and adjusted to your comfort fit   the machine will start up wehn you take your first breath..(I thoght that was pretty good) don't have to reach over to the night stand and turn the dang thing on

I piddled with the air flow and that helps some & adjusted the humidity with to the one on my house thermostat putting the c-pap close to what my house  thermostat is set at.

When I first started using mine after the first breath I took it started the C-Pap  and the mask would seem to vibrate  like it was getting to much air or not enough?  I turned up the air pressure and it that seems to help better now.

You should have got a little booklet if its a VA Res-Med?

it will let you know how to make adjustments.

Special Note :

At my private sleep study  the tech used tow different machines on me  the first machine was or looked like a regular C-PAP with full mask, it was a bit uncomfortable, then at 3:00 am he cam in there and switch the c-pap over to another type of CPAP...And it was more relaxing  more comfortable and soothing/cooling feel, I went right to sleep with that one...Unfortunately I for got to ask what the second was was....but it was cool Machine.

I use the full mask too James  I tried the Nose Pillow ones and its just not for me  I did like the free space on my face so-to speak but just was not very comfortable with it in my nose.

...............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

PS

I mention adjusting the C-pap machine to my house Thermostat ,This is a new HAVC System we just got two years ago.

so if you don't have that on your house thermostat  you can get a wall humidity gauge from Home Depot or Lowes.

I think it makes a lot of difference getting the humidity  factor as close as you can adjusted to your C-Pap.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I had the same problem you're describing.  The solution was CPAP mask liners. Ask your sleep doctor to order some for you.

Edited by toddt

• HadIt.com Elder

I used the c-pap liners  but they were useless  kept coming off or sliding down and bugging my mouth