Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Which mask and technique for the CPAP

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

This may be posted in the wrong place, if so, I trust that it will be moved to the proper place.

I have to admit that my newly issued VA  CPAP is really helping me sleep better. I feel much more rested and rejuvenated when I awake in the mornings. I have the full face mask in the size, large. I get a good seal when I first turn on the machine but when it ramps up to full pressure it looses the seal and wakes me up. I can stop and restart the machine and get a good seal until it ramps up again and it wakes me up again. This is repeated multiple times in the night. So many Veterans on this site use VA issued machines that I might get an idea of how to correct my problem. I am thinking that the large size mask is too big. Anyone else having the same problem?

I used the little nose mask(the one that goes over your nose only) when my psi was set at 11.  I couldn't tighten it too much, the pressure against my face around my nose, while not that great in reality, actually was pressing against my sinus cavities and some how was restricting the airflow through my nasal passages???  I can push on my face with my fingers to simulate it, so I don't know about that.  But recently I was retested, new cpap pressure is 14, and I now use the nasal cushions(?) that go in the end of your nostrils, only has 2 straps, and do have to use that chin strap.  Seems to be working okay, I discovered that it all works better with my humidity set on 4, instead of 3.

But when you got a cold or sinus infection going on, and your nasal passages are congested...boy that adds a whole new layer of fun to Cpap use!

I think I'll order a smaller mask and the liners. Mask sealing problems cost me two hours sleep last night but all in all I still feel better using the machine.

The machine is ResMed and it shows that I used it 10 hours and 20 minutes last night, but like I said, I fought with the mask seal for the first two hours. I have read about the automatic on with the first breath but I need to study the manual to see how to turn the feature on. I did read that only the provider has access to some features.

Does anyone not have mask sealing troubles at all?

James:

The turn on feature is not 'instant'.  Takes a couple of breathes for the machine to realize "hey, he's trying to breathe...better start" and then it kicks on.
I use the nose pillow, and I personally don't like this breathe and have it turn on. Rather turn it on manually, simply because it feels really hard to breathe and not a fan of feeling restricted air.

Have you tried adjusting and fitting the mask with the unit on at full pressure?  Reason I ask, if you're test fitting with no pressure or the ramp-up feature then you might have a good setting for when its low, but as it picks up then the seal weakens/breaks due to 'weak' fitting.

I was able to get the mask to fit mostly comfortable, but still had issues (again, side sleeper) with the mask shifting while I slept on my side (left side mostly).  My pressure is actually relatively low too.  I think I'm at 10 units of measure? Low enough that the ramp-up feature doesn't make a noticeable change, so I just turn it on and go.  But even at that low pressure, I was having issues with the mask sleeping on the side.

Sleep was less because of seal break issues every once in a while, but man the sleep was sooooo much better than what it was before.  I tried it for 2 weeks before I switched to the nose pillow.  The chin strap thing, no different than wearing a neck gaiter.  Tight enough to not let your mouth dangle open, but you can still talk and open your mouth with it.  But everyone's got unique needs. 

The features that the provider has access to, from what I've read and seen on the machine, is just the air pressure settings.  That's the only 'medical' part of the unit.  The other features on there are readings (how long you've used it over the past X number of days, sleep efficiency, AHI etc.) and minor settings for the user to change (ramp-up time, pre-heat etc.).

I'll see if I can find some documentation on the face mask and better fitments.

Glad to hear that your sleep is improved vs. prior usage!  And a lot of this is trial and error since it is all unique to each person.

• HadIt.com Elder

James

try secure message and contact Sleep Clinic and let them know what problems your having &  if they can send you a different mask, if your using the one that came with it just let them know its breaking the seal and you do have it snugged up to your comfort liking.

Faster to go up to the VAMC  Sleep Clinic!  if your clinic is fairly a good reasonable one,(the clerks & service techs)

I went up to the VAMC Sleep Clinic and just ask for a different mask and they let me try the nose pillow ones and picked it up at the(prosthesis  dept)  I don't like anything stuck in my nose  and I dread the day I may have to use oxygen...but I tried another face mask and it seems to work on for me, but I do knockit off its seal from time to time moving around/ turning on my side,but most of the time I get good sleep.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I think there's 4 different mask you can try from VA

they have two full face mask and the nose pillow tube mask and the one Andyman73 was referring too  the Nose only mask.

I have seen what is called the Dream C pap mask but VA don't have that one yet.

It has air tubes for that fit over your head like the straps on the older mask  it just has two side tubes that fit and  the air comes through those...its snugged up in your nose.

Hard to come off

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

A good night's sleep is more important than I ever realized. I put off the sleep study and CPAP since it was first recommended by my doctor in 1997 after the heart attack.