VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus reopened with PTSD approval

Rate this question

USAF cop

Question

In late July, 2016, I reapplied for PTSD and hearing loss/tinnitus. I was approved for 50% PTSD in late September, 2016 after a grueling 20 year fight with the VA. Why is the VA so many faceted toward us veterans? Not going to go into that here...  But I was turned down AGAIN for hearing loss even though the VA gave me hearing aids in 2010, and falsified results of a new hearing test in 2013 (by doing just the "point my finger in the air" when I heard a tone, with my back turned and simple headphones on my head) when attempting to replace my hearing aids which were stolen with almost $13,000 of my personal property that was in my truck in 2012.

They threw out the tinnitus claim several times, and only recently when the VA miraculously approved my PTSD but still expectedly denied my hearing loss AGAIN,  the VA REOPENED MY TINNITUS CASE. It is at a level that it interferes with daily life and causes added stress that causes the VA to prescribe me a mouthguard in 2010 to stop me from grinding my teeth in my sleep. 

What would be my next steps. The notifications and decisions all came in September 2017.

I will post other questions that are separate. 

"All things are possible to him that believes." Mark 9:23

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You might not consider my answer "pertinent" but it is a look to the future.

They might have committed a CUE in the older tinnitus denials.Hard to know without seeing the denials....

A successful CUE means more retro.

And another thought:

"It is at a level that it interferes with daily life and causes added stress that causes the VA to prescribe me a mouthguard in 2010 to stop me from grinding my teeth in my sleep.  "

temporomandibular Joint disorder (TMJ) and bruxism can also be filed as secondary to PTSD, if the PTSD is causing this as well as the tinnitus.
"ORDER

Service connection for a stomach disorder, to include service 
connection secondary to PTSD, is denied.  

Service connection for TMJ syndrome secondary to PTSD is 
granted." 

https://www.va.gov/vetapp99/files2/9916403.txt

It could work for claiming the tinnitus is causing the grinding as well....I would think that is plausible and if a doctor can state it ,with a full medical rationale, either way, you could possibly have a future award..depending on how much damage the TMJ or grinding does to your teeth..

edited to add...if you google tinnitus causing TMJ, some interesting medical data will pop up.

Nothing is impossible.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

The past is how I learn & correct with past experiences with VA Claims (All types of VA Claims)To unconditionally go forward.  that is not the Future that is '' Experience.'' &'' Research''

Also Reading older BVA  Decisions  that apply to veterans claims close to or in relation to  the claim your seeking...is very Helpful.

The Future is not promised.

If you want to put up your last  tinnitus denial & don't forget to black out your name  and claim # & any personal info We May  Help you better. (As Ms berta mention above)

I suggest if you don't get your Future Answers here on Hadit.com you seek, Your welcome to go back to your group you came from  or any of the Other Forums.

JMO

My case is so convoluted (isn't everybody's?) that to start fresh with you all, I'd need to write a book. But I won't. Even though that's the only way to get answers that are pertinent to my questions. 

As Buck said:

If you want to put up your last  tinnitus denial & don't forget to black out your name  and claim # & any personal info We May  Help you better. (As Ms berta mention above)

I suggest if you don't get your Future Answers here on Hadit.com you seek, Your welcome to go back to your group you came from  or any of the Other Forums.

Truly hope you get the answers you're looking for from "your" group as it surely appears the HADIT folks can't help- especially without a full background.