Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not official notification

Rate this question

jayman

Question

I just got a letter from the DAV that states that the letter is not official notification but I will get official notifaction following "completion of necessary administrative procedures". And the VA reserves the right to modify prior to official notification.

OK I filed an appeal about 4 years ago and haven't heard a word. No change in status on ebenefits. The letter states that the DAV has reviewed the latest VA decision concerning your claim for benefits. The VA has taken the following action(s).

DECISION

1. Service connection for xxxxxx to include xxx and xxx.is granted in the amount of 70%effective date xxx

2 A clear and unmistable error occurred in the effective date of service connection of xxx and corrected effective date is xxx

3. Same as line 2 but different disability

My question is what does this mean? I was told when I filed my appeal I would have to go before a magistrate. Yet there is no mention of  one. Did the VA review my appeal and simply decide to approve it so there's no need for magistrate?  The letter states that if I agree with the decision then do nothing. Frankly I am skeptical and worried that this will blow up. If no,t how long might it be till final notification and how long till compensation kicks in? Anyone with experience who chooses to answer I thank you.

Edited by jayman
spell check

5 answers to this question

It means you have been granted 70 percent.  I suggest you unconfuse your self.  Go fishing or visit your grandkids, or play poker, while you wait the official decision.  Wait for the letter.  We all have to do that.   The letter is "almost certainly" correct, but dont do anything until you get the official letter. 

Exception:  Since you have the percentage, and the effective date, you can calculate your retro, and THEN you can decide how to spend it.  That should be fun.  

• Founder

bump

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

If I were you and you gave VA your Direct Deposit info, then I would start checking your bank account.

Many of us have had VA deposits made to our banks before we got the official award letter.

This sounds extraordinary:

"2 A clear and unmistable error occurred in the effective date of service connection of xxx and corrected effective date is xxx

3. Same as line 2 but different disability"

You mean they made 2 CUEs? Did your DAV rep file CUE claims?

CUEs can bring more $$$ , as retro. I am a Cuer. It is very unusual for VA to admit to CUE even in an award directly due to a CUE claim.

I cant interpret the CUE outcome, not enough info...

Was the DAV happy about those CUEs?

They called my last CUE filed within the appeal period ,actually filed within days of the denial, a "re-open", and reversed their initial denial in mere weeks. It is here under 1151 HBP CUE search.

But they did acknowledge the regulation they broke.(A Prime facie CUE.)

But CUEs called by the VA on the VA however can be a two edged sword.

wish we had more info but it will come within the actual award letter.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.