VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is DRO worth it anymore?

Rate this question

ShuMan

Question

The Indianapolis RO called me after I emailed the secretary and said I still had 2 years left until my DRO review is even looked at. At that point we're taking 3 years for DRO review. The lady said they are getting swamped with NODs. So if you put in an NOD now I would say 4-5 years to even be looked at. For a decision 5-6 years is a midrange estimate.

At this point is a DRO worth it or should a vet just go traditional route?

I won a service connected 70% disability for a single injury. I won a DRO review. As long as your evidence is strong you will win. You lose appeal to BVA. One more chance to bite the apple.

• HadIt.com Elder

My case was denied 1998, appealed 1999, DRO Denied, appealed to BVA denied 2009, CAVC appeal won in 2013, remanded to RO, given 50% for PTSD, appealed to DRO awarded 100% P&T No FE in 2016.

On 5/21/2017 at 10:27 AM, Gastone said:

L, when did you submit the VA Mandatory New & Material Evidence to qualify for the DRO Review?

What was the DRO's Decision and DATE? How many Appealed Issues?

Generally, the actual DRO Award or Denial letter can take 4+ months after the Decision, to arrive. Retro Deposits usually hit 2 to 3 months before the Award Letter arrives.

DRO Denial Decisions could take longer to arrive due to the need for a SOC or SSOC to be included.

Semper Fi

Hi MikeR - I submitted the new evidence - IMO($2,000)  - Dr Vallett, Jan 2016 - Decision Oct 2016 - Awarded Dec 2016 - Backdated to bad C & P exam  July 2014 -DRO Reviewer was appalled at how poorly it was completed.  Retro 3 weeks later after the call of the good news from the DRO Reviewer - One issue PTSD-MST Rape/Attempted Murder in a Navy Barracks, ongoing inmate issues because he has been calling me and he is eligible for Parole 2018. 

Every situation is different but I did lay out my claim based on the CFR criteria for my diagnosis- making it easy to read. I did have NIS/Police reports and crime scene photos. 

L

Sometimes the VA really makes you work for it.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

L, Are you in touch with the proper authorities on this prisoner? I hope they deny him parole, sounds like he might not be society ready. I took a chance on the DRO mostly because my case had been decided by the Chief Justice of the CAVC. I was pretty sure that the DRO was not going to let me have another bite at that apple. The CJ at the CAVC told the VA to fix the situation, and the case person at the RO apparently could not take a hint. It took 3 years, but in the end it was worth the fight.

HELP... Filed for DRO 07/2015 Indianapolis no word since. Is their a normal time frame for this or is it just a long process. Thanks

Edited by ogj23
Add word