VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So apparently the counselor over the phone said I may have difficulties with my daily living due to the stress and memory issue buy since I'm to far from being institutionalized I don't qualify for the program. So what the hell qualifies you? She said the most extreme cases but then I said what the point of the 3 tiers when you're saying that really doesn't matter. 

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

jfrei

I suggest you get an experienced VA Attorney to help you with this issue!

someone is obviously Mis- informing you on some of this caregiver program!

just my opinion  stress & memory loss from tbi should make no difference from a physical disability B/C TBI issues are of disability issues also.

I am not familiar with The VA Caregiver Program, but  just by your post someone is not familiar with it either. 

She said because I can perform some of my daily living activities with i have trouble with them or not doesn't matter. Does this mean Inability to perform an activity of daily living (ADL) means any one ofthe has to be everyone on that list? She said because I can perform at least one of those ADL maybe I'm wrong  because I can get dressed without aid other then wearing shorts and sandels with a foot of snow means I can get dressed without aid then ok I don't qualify 

Edited by jfrei

I know someone who is in vocrehab taking classes,  competes in rigorous sporting events, is the president and co founder of a 5013c for veterans and his wife gets paid as a caregiver, last  I knew he was rated at 70%, she was getting paid at tier 2 and she was his payee with social security so my opinion of who and what qualifies someone for this caregiver program seems to be very different in every region.  I would be causing a stink about this honestly.  From all the things you have written and the things you are rated for, your smc etc. As a post 9/11 veteran your caregiver should qualify for this program and I would fight for this. 

Edited by seminoles

• HadIt.com Elder

I know a Vietnam veteran his spouse was his caregiver he was 100%SC P&T WITH 3 SMC's... the VA paid her 400.00 month to take care of her hubby  although she worked a full time job, she called the VA about getting extra $$ to help care for her hubby  ..the job she did was  under the table  so no taxes involved, she never mention to the VA SHE WAS WORKING A FULL TIME JOB...ok VA sent out a caregiver person to look at their home and see what they needed...they had wheel chair ramps installed by the VA interior doors widen...and she was appointed his care giver and was getting 400$ monthly...but since her hubby passed away from his S.C. Disabilitys

So you should be able to get your spouse to be your caregiver  you just have to keep pestering the VA until you actually reach the right person...so many VA Employee's think there job is to help get a veteran denied his benefits  and we just have to keep fight them until  they do the right thing.

jmo