Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Marketplace and or champVA

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

so I am told by the marketplace my family is eligible for 756 tax credit but if they have champva they get no Credit? Why on earth would I keep champva? Does this sound right..

• HadIt.com Elder

ChampVA  is a gift if you qualify.  I have Medicare, and Letter Carrier's insurance from federal government.  My wife has Medicare,  Letter Carrier's and ChampVA.   The biggest expense we face as we get older is illness, so if I am eligible I will take all I can get if I can afford it.  You never know what the feds or insurance criminals might do next so keep all the insurance you can get.   A couple of years ago I had surgery to implant a device for sleep apnea.  It cost well over $100,000.  Insurance paid for it all.  The VA would not cover it nor even do the operation.  Illness is the number one reason for bankruptcy in the USA.

John

I was saying her boss wants to give her a stipend for the cost of the healthcare 202 monthly to help pay we were going to use it for the deductible for champ. But since we were backdated since Nov for champ the marketplace representative said she didn't know if we had to pay back the tax credit that was given to us since champ was backdated now I'm. Stress yet again... what the hell I can't ever just catch a break right now she said she was new but after that i hung up and there is nothing on Google what so ever 

Well, I think you should be stressed on Korea having nuclear weapons instead.  Or maybe worry about your home being sucked into a sinkhole.  Based on your post you said, "we were going to use it for the deductable for champva"  Ok, so you used the money for something else, so what?  Everything does not always need to go into a perfect cubby hole.  It really did not sound like your boss required you to use the 202 monthly stipend on health copays and deductables, you apparently can use this on other medical stuff too.  Oh, say, OTC medications that insurance wont pay for.  Gas to go to the doctor.  Band Aids.  Toothpaste.  ETC. ETC.  Heck, even healthy food to keep you from going to the doctor.  

Your boss is giving you an extra 202 per month to help with healthcare expenses uncovered by insurance.  Its a blessing and treat it as such.  Dont create a problem when none is there.  Sometimes its better to deal with the 1 problem out of 100 that happens rather than worry about the  other 99 that wont happen.  

You should be able to have both insurance policies simultaneously, so you shouldn't need to worry about having to "give back" the tax credit. From what I understand is that CHAMPVA works like Medicare - CHAMPVA is always secondary payer if you have other insurance. The other insurance gets billed first, then CHAMPVA gets billed if needed.

US Army 1992-1998
MOS 12B
B Co 31st En Bn Ft. Leonardwood, MO Oct. 1992 - Jan. 1993 OSUT (Basic/AIT)
C Co 16th En Bn Erlangen, Germany Jan. - Dec. 1993 / Bamberg, Germany Dec. 1993 - Feb. 1995 / Lucky Base, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia Aug. - Dec, 1993
19th Repl. Co Ft. Bragg, NC Feb. 1995 - Apr. 1996 R&U
B Co 82nd En Bn Bamberg, Germany Apr. 1996 - May 1998 / Camp McGovern, Brcko, Bosnia Mar. - Nov. 1997 / DMOS 62J Jan. 1997 - May 1998