VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

had to surrender drivers license

Rate this question

novass

Question

Rated at %50 disabled, breathing issues from fires/  COPD -sleep apnea ( I was having events 36 times an hour while trying to sleep)

55 yrs old and have had to fight to keep my driver's license. Lost it once and had to fight to get it back. ( feel asleep at the wheel due to sleep apnea )  Now every year I have to go to doctor to have him sign paper work to keep it.  Im afraid one of these time Im going to lose it for good.

I live out on a farm, 40 minute to drive to get to work. if i lose it again i will lose my job.

Is there anything the VA can do to help ? can i get my rating  raised because if i cant drive im pretty much unemployable.

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

if your that bad falling asleep at the wheel maybe you should not be driving?

You could request TDIU P&T be given but you have to file a claim for it   TDIU is considered an Increase   with your S.C. Ratings.

you need medical records that describe your OSA condition as cronic, if you have a  VA Prescribe  C-PAP Machine that states you need it for your health well being because of your S.C. Disability  and of course a Sleep Apnea Diagnose   (as to which you probably have at present) all service connected.

You need a Dr to say you can't work because of your S.C.   O.S.A. (Sleep Apnea) and you can't drive any longer. it may help you to request to get in VA  Voc-Rehab TO SEE IF THEY CAN FIND YOU ANY TYPE  EMPLOYMENT?

Most of us that  have been awarded the TDIU have been in VA Voc-Rehab, and the Voc Rehab counselor will write a letter stating its not feasible to retrain this veteran at this time due to his  s.c. disability's (if they can't find you any type of employment that meets the MINIMUM WAGE LAWS.

you FILE TDIU Claim And present your case with  your medical records and have a Dr to state that due to your S.C. Disability you can't be working or driving.

The letter from Voc-Rehab will help tremendously. 

File a FDC asap  but you will need to file the 21-8940  check out the tdiu fast letter here on hadit

Are you considered to be in 100% compliance with the use of your CPAP?

How about posting redacted copies of 2016 and 17 MHV Sleep Clinician Treatment Notes addressing your compliance and Download Interpretations from the sim-card?

If you're getting 5+ hrs of uninterrupted Sleep, with limited SA episodes of insignificant duration, daytime somnolence should no-longer be a problem.  Is IT???

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes other medication can cause daytime sleepiness...

Sorry to hear of your issues bud. I have not driven since 2014, I am currently 35. People just dont realize when you live in the Country like us, we have to have some form or transportation. As stated above alot of the medications Vets take cause Severe Drowzy and sleepiness. Also if you are that far off bud, then I would just put in for an increase along with your Dr notes and the medical evidence so the VA does not give you the runaround. Again sorry, and I truly wish you the best. God Bless