Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd claim

Rate this question

DebbieS118

Question

Two years ago my husband was diagnosed PTSD from a veterans contract psychologist. Although he is 66 years old, and the Vietnam war has long been over for decades his symptoms did not appear until he became sober five years ago when he quit the alcohol. He never actively seemed help for his alcoholism because he was self medicating. The psychologist send him to a va psychiatrist for medication. Both doctors believe his ptsd was caused by the anxiety of being on standby to deploy to Vietnam for 5 months. He started drinking heavily while in Okinawa and by the time he  was discharged he was already an alcoholic.

To make a long story short, he filed a claim with VA. Of course he was denied. Did a reconsideration claim. Said he needed new/material evidence which was sent in. It was a dbq for ptsd. We received acknowledgment of the new letter stating it was indeed new evidence and claim would be going to rater. Got another denial of claim 2 weeks later saying they never received new evidence so reconsideration claim was denied.

Now what? This process is so frustrating makes you want to quit

It seems that your husband's claim was denied twice.

Can you post the initial decision that you filed the Reconsideration on?

You stated:

"Two years ago my husband was diagnosed PTSD from a veterans contract psychologist."

Did that diagnosis come from a C & P exam???

I dont know how a diagnosis could come from a VA contract MH doctor without doing a C & P exam.......can they be hired privately ????

I am thinking that they had a C & P result from a VA 'contract' psychologist and that maybe they found the DBQ  from a Dr Haynes, to be 'redundant and cummulative'-

VA lingo meaning they found it to be the same as the contract doctor's results and they rejected it.

I think the IRIS complaint will clarify all this.

We will have more info when we see the original denial.

Edited by Berta

On 12/26/2017 at 6:56 PM, Buck52 said:

Good luck o the up dates L.

I been fighting with those yahooo for over 2 years to get my 214 straighten out  lucky for me it had my last service dates and locations with CIB & service  medals & ribbons certificates from Vietnam...BUT NO OTHER FOREIGN SERVICE...AS to which I served in Germany for 11 months before being sent to Nam  it don't even mention that  but it did say my last duty station was Oakland Calif out processing center.  The day I ETS from military  and still had to serve additional 3 years in the reserve After those additional 3 years in reserves  then thats when they sent me my  DD 214. and Honorable Discharge.

Thank you - I submitted the documentation with my application for a 215 - along with the pages of the service record where they documented the Awards - Medals, but did not transfer to the DD214 - I feel more positive than negative - since I do what I call "front load," sending all "evidence" so they don't have to do the work. I will keep you posted . 

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that

I will say this

After I sent in the application with credible evidence (second time around) with my unit name and location in Germany and dates from medical reports  sick call  ( I was sick a lot over there due to the cold weather) and request my military service but corrected to the 215 or at least acknowledge.

the Board still denied...after that I just gave the hell up. they said I needed a document with the letterhead on it from my old unit over there...I had the unit name location and dates or close to the dates as I remembered but no legal documentation with my unit letterhead on the top front of the page.

not to long ago 10 months year maybe ,a member here on hadit was a employee clerk for the board of military records and he said even with the best evidence they will still deny  he was correct.  Sadly I can't remember his screen name on hadit?

However, you seem to have all your ducks in a row  hopefully they will get your DD 214- 215 Information corrected.

I hope they do  let us know one way or the other.

Edited by Buck52

On 12/26/2017 at 6:56 PM, Buck52 said:

Good luck o the up dates L.

I been fighting with those yahooo for over 2 years to get my 214 straighten out  lucky for me it had my last service dates and locations with CIB & service  medals & ribbons certificates from Vietnam...BUT NO OTHER FOREIGN SERVICE...AS to which I served in Germany for 11 months before being sent to Nam  it don't even mention that  but it did say my last duty station was Oakland Calif out processing center.  The day I ETS from military  and still had to serve additional 3 years in the reserve After those additional 3 years in reserves  then thats when they sent me my  DD 214. and Honorable Discharge.

7 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Roger that

I will say this

After I sent in the application with credible evidence (second time around) with my unit name and location in Germany and dates from medical reports  sick call  ( I was sick a lot over there due to the cold weather) and request my military service but corrected to the 215 or at least acknowledge.

the Board still denied...after that I just gave the hell up. they said I needed a document with the letterhead on it from my old unit over there...I had the unit name location and dates or close to the dates as I remembered but no legal documentation with my unit letterhead on the top front of the page.

not to long ago 10 months year maybe ,a member here on hadit was a employee clerk for the board of military records and he said even with the best evidence they will still deny  he was correct.  Sadly I can't remember his screen name on hadit?

However, you seem to have all your ducks in a row  hopefully they will get your DD 214- 215 Information corrected.

I hope they do  let us know one way or the other.

I am a "ducks in a row kinda girl" LOL - My info was documented in my personnel file, but never transferred to the DD214 - they mailed me medals after service

- mine may be easier. If I can get an NOD resolved in 370 day at the VA -  with 70% /IU ..... Blessed & Highly favored. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree maybe even sooner??

I have my medals cib  and award ribbons on my DD 214 And my two tours in Vietnam & Unit & Battalion mention, I was in Operations Branch so some of what I did was classified material,  but nothing on my Germany service ? which I was there 11 months  from Jan -end of Nov...nothing on my DD 214 About Germany what so ever.

Although it states you may have other periods you served that is not reflected on this form..or something like that  I don't have my 214 here with me.

Mine in not that important  I have no claim to prove or anything like that   just be nice they get my military service right where I served and who with.

If I had to prove my Germany military service for some reason  I can't. guess its just the principle of it!