Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd claim

Rate this question

DebbieS118

Question

Two years ago my husband was diagnosed PTSD from a veterans contract psychologist. Although he is 66 years old, and the Vietnam war has long been over for decades his symptoms did not appear until he became sober five years ago when he quit the alcohol. He never actively seemed help for his alcoholism because he was self medicating. The psychologist send him to a va psychiatrist for medication. Both doctors believe his ptsd was caused by the anxiety of being on standby to deploy to Vietnam for 5 months. He started drinking heavily while in Okinawa and by the time he  was discharged he was already an alcoholic.

To make a long story short, he filed a claim with VA. Of course he was denied. Did a reconsideration claim. Said he needed new/material evidence which was sent in. It was a dbq for ptsd. We received acknowledgment of the new letter stating it was indeed new evidence and claim would be going to rater. Got another denial of claim 2 weeks later saying they never received new evidence so reconsideration claim was denied.

Now what? This process is so frustrating makes you want to quit

This brings up a great point, Berta.   Whenever I contact an attorney, they really dont want "my interpretation" of a decision..they want the decision.  And, for a good reason...the attorneys advice will only be as good as "my interpretation".  

This is why its much better to read what the VA says..not what we say.  You read what the VA said, I read what the OP said.   Therefore, your advice was much better than mine, as my advice can not be any better than the OP's interpretation.  

Still, Im assuming the OP didnt make this up..that they did have a letter acknowledging new and material evidence.  

Good, Debbie, you are learning well.   I always look for conflicts between letters VA sends me, when ever I file an appeal.  You did good by keeping the letter.  

You see, the VA always assumes everything I say is a lie 100 percent of the time, and they always assume every VA employee tells the truth 100 percent of the time.  This is why I use the VA's own written words against them. 

Trust me, if you make a mistake and say in one letter, "x equals red", and in another letter, "x = red and white", the VA will nail you every time.   

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

This lady don't say if they filed a NOD or not  but I seem to think she must have? Letter she put on says Nov 28th 2017 Maybe that is the NOD?

We can't never til how they will decide this claim but that letter from R.O. Director  Dated Nov 29th 2017 is great evidence to help on reconsider this claim or reopen (I'd Reopen ) based on this evidence of this letter. depending on if a reconsideration has been requested?

in part of this letter says

''We have recieved your request for reconsideration for PTSD dated  9-27-2017 and DBQ From Dr Haynes  dated Ooc 31 -2017 this constitutes New and Martial Evidence being Reviewed.

(CLAIM IS STILL UNDER APPEAL)

so they have the evidence.

Now depends on a lot of other factors also  he needs a PTSD Diagnose from the VA and his  HE As to which he has a Dx ptsd from a contracted C&P Examiner.

medication. Both doctors believe his ptsd was caused by the anxiety of being on standby to deploy to Vietnam for 5 months. 

And   records and in service records to prove his stressor's of fear for his life about  being deployed for 5 month prior.

I never seen a claim for this type of stressor?

but it is irrelevant because it don't matter how we were traumatized while in the military  we just need to prove it. Dr Haynes letter may do just that?

jmo

Edited by Buck52

Maybe I haven’t worded this correctly. One psychologist and one VA psychiatrist have diagnosed him with PTSD/alcoholism. Both doctors have said it most likely came from being in Okinawa on standby to Vietnam for 5 months. During his time there he became anxious about going there. He heard all the stories from the other soilders coming back from Nam. He witnessed several hundred soilders returning daily in body bags. To ease his anxiety he began drinking. (Self medicating) By the time he was discharged he was an alcoholic. It’s hard for me to explain the exact stressors as he doesn’t like to talk about it much