Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd claim

Rate this question

DebbieS118

Question

Two years ago my husband was diagnosed PTSD from a veterans contract psychologist. Although he is 66 years old, and the Vietnam war has long been over for decades his symptoms did not appear until he became sober five years ago when he quit the alcohol. He never actively seemed help for his alcoholism because he was self medicating. The psychologist send him to a va psychiatrist for medication. Both doctors believe his ptsd was caused by the anxiety of being on standby to deploy to Vietnam for 5 months. He started drinking heavily while in Okinawa and by the time he  was discharged he was already an alcoholic.

To make a long story short, he filed a claim with VA. Of course he was denied. Did a reconsideration claim. Said he needed new/material evidence which was sent in. It was a dbq for ptsd. We received acknowledgment of the new letter stating it was indeed new evidence and claim would be going to rater. Got another denial of claim 2 weeks later saying they never received new evidence so reconsideration claim was denied.

Now what? This process is so frustrating makes you want to quit

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck o the up dates L.

I been fighting with those yahooo for over 2 years to get my 214 straighten out  lucky for me it had my last service dates and locations with CIB & service  medals & ribbons certificates from Vietnam...BUT NO OTHER FOREIGN SERVICE...AS to which I served in Germany for 11 months before being sent to Nam  it don't even mention that  but it did say my last duty station was Oakland Calif out processing center.  The day I ETS from military  and still had to serve additional 3 years in the reserve After those additional 3 years in reserves  then thats when they sent me my  DD 214. and Honorable Discharge.

Maybe some more links will help.

L gave you the link to the DD 149, and under # 5, # 6 ,regarding the ‘injustice’ part you can write Not Applicable and this is just for a correction of anything wrong  or missing on the original DD 214.

This link:

https://www.archives.gov/

under  the Veteran’s Service Records part, will have a blank SF 180 that can be filed out and submitted on line.

I strongly suggest that every veteran should not only request their inservice SMRs, but also their military personnel records, which often contain info that will help them find evidence for claims.

The  201 personnel file will also contain arrival and destination info.

Unless NARA’s process has changed in the last few years, (someone correct me if this has changed)there will be an authorization form your husband has to print out ,sign, ( it has a bar code on it) and then make copy for himself, and then send it to the exact address  the site directs him to ,so they can associate his signature with the SF 180 (which he should also print off a copy of, if he fills it out on line,or fills a print out of it at home and mails it in)

He can also obtain a copy of his VA medical records by writing to or going to the VAMC that treats him.

Their Records Access officer might have a short form he needs to sign.

A copy of his C file can be requested from the VARO that he deals with.

My experience with NARA  many years ago was this- my husband had 2 claims pending when he died.

He had served both in USMC and Navy. In about 3 months ( this might surely take longer these days)

I got a packet in the mail that included copies of all of his Navy records and a letter advising me that his USMC records were at the Buffalo VARO.

I was glad to get that info because that is where the USMC records were supposed to be ,as at that time, he had 2 claims pending, that I ,as his survivor , had to continue.

If he has had private treatment for PTSD or any other issue that could possible warrant a claim, he should try to get copies of those records,too.

On 12/26/2017 at 4:11 PM, DebbieS118 said:

His Dd214 doesn’t specify Okinawa just says overseas 9 months 28 days. Very blurry though

A4169045-A6B6-4915-A4DC-403D9E2188D7.jpeg

In reviewing my FIRST original DD214 from active duty - 1975 - it is almost identical - very scant with information - these were hand typed, from the personnel records back in that era. 

I went over your posts again:

." Said he needed new/material evidence which was sent in. It was a dbq for ptsd. We received acknowledgment of the new letter stating it was indeed new evidence and claim would be going to rater.

Got another denial of claim 2 weeks later saying they never received new evidence so reconsideration claim was denied."

VA verified they had new and material evidence (the DBQ) but 2 weeks later they say they didnt get it????

You need to file an IRIS complaint:

Go to https://www.va.gov/ and then click on the Contact Us button, then on the Ask a Question button,

then the site will redirect you to IRIS.

There is a complaint button pop down somewhere under claims questions I think- I haven't used it in some time.

It was very effective when I did , however.

Tell them the date of the letter from VA that acknowledged receipt of  the DBQ. Also tell them the alphanumeric code to the right hand side of the letter ( it will reveal who prepared that letter)

then tell them of the letter you received 2 weeks later, saying they had not received any new evidence, and give them the date and alphanumeric code on that letter.

IRIS will send you an email response (you can ask for phone response but I always asked for email response so that I had hard copy proof of what they said.)

Once the VA properly addresses the DBQ (which they did say they had) , this claim will still need, in my opinion, a strong stressor that can be verified.

It is possible that your husband revealed some stressors to his private MH doctor, that you don't know about, and one of them might be the key to obtaining service connection.

His SMRs and Military Personel records should reveal he was in Okinawa .

Va will ask for any private medical records he has.

• HadIt.com Elder

This link may help a little better  you can ask a question you need to know.

https://iris.custhelp.com/app/ask