Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd claim

Rate this question

DebbieS118

Question

Two years ago my husband was diagnosed PTSD from a veterans contract psychologist. Although he is 66 years old, and the Vietnam war has long been over for decades his symptoms did not appear until he became sober five years ago when he quit the alcohol. He never actively seemed help for his alcoholism because he was self medicating. The psychologist send him to a va psychiatrist for medication. Both doctors believe his ptsd was caused by the anxiety of being on standby to deploy to Vietnam for 5 months. He started drinking heavily while in Okinawa and by the time he  was discharged he was already an alcoholic.

To make a long story short, he filed a claim with VA. Of course he was denied. Did a reconsideration claim. Said he needed new/material evidence which was sent in. It was a dbq for ptsd. We received acknowledgment of the new letter stating it was indeed new evidence and claim would be going to rater. Got another denial of claim 2 weeks later saying they never received new evidence so reconsideration claim was denied.

Now what? This process is so frustrating makes you want to quit

• HadIt.com Elder

This looks like a incomplete 214...Kansas City last duty station...

Was he in active duty? or Marine Reserves?

I could be wrong here but it just don't look like or have enough information on it  in my opinion.

Here is what a DD 214 SHOULD HAVE!

Notice at the bottom=Foreign service credited. &location  although it had 9 months 28 days of Foreign  service but don't have his unit name/location

he should have some records from his foreign service...ect,,,ect,,? his 214 don't have that

What is a DD214?

The Defense Department issues to each veteran a DD-214, identifying the veteran's condition of discharge - honorable, general, other than honorable, dishonorable or bad conduct. Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.

Want to know the legal nitty gritty? We've provided the complete DoD Instruction NUMBER 1336.1 concernng Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/5 Series) HERE (4.5 mb). We've also provided:

Air Force Regulation 36-3202 Guidance Memorandum for the Preparatuion of Separation Documents HERE (494k)

Army Regulation 635-5 concerning the preparation and distribution of separation documents HERE (61k)

the Marine Corps Separation and Retirement Manual, MARCORSEPMAN HERE (1.54 mb)

the Naval Military Personnel Manual NAVPERS 15560D HERE

and you can access the National Guard's process for their issuance of their discharge certificates (NGB22) HERE.

Why is a DD214 important?

The Report of Separation contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations. Information shown on the Report of Separation may include the service member's:

Date and place of entry into active duty

Home address at time of entry

Date and place of release from active duty

Home address after separation

Last duty assignment and rank

Military job specialty

Military education

Decorations, medals, badges, citations, and campaign awards

Total creditable service

Foreign service credited

Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes)

Maybe he should request a complete  DD 214  For Foreign service on it ?

Edited by Buck52

I just requested a "DD215" which is an amendment. I sent all applicable supporting documents - it takes approximately 9 mos to process per Navy Milpers. I have 3 DD214's - incomplete and inaccurate to update. 

Mine includes 3 separate entries to active duty totalling 8 years 

14 years Reserves- 

https://iris.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/478/~/amend-or-change-dd-214-or-other-military-records

FYI

Edited by L
added info