Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received BBE

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi,

I finally got the BBE yesterday.  My efforts were a total waste of time.

1)   Worsening of MS--I did not have to use a walker all the time, increased urge to urinate, LOU of left hand ---due to major MS flare last year.  Had C&P. BUT IT WAS DENIED.  MS does not ever get better it gets worse.

2)   Secondary service connected cataracts due to Prednisone use for MS flares.  Denied.  Glad to have my eyesight of course (surgery done by local non-VA ophthalmologist---my private BC/BS insurance paid for one eye and Veterans Choice paid for other eye) but there was a time my eyesight was bad.

WASTE OF TIME GOING TO PALO ALTO VA for C & P exams.  WASTE OF TIME.  WASTE OF TIME.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Gastone,

The way the MS is broken down is by body parts, for example "left upper extremity peripheral neuropathy (minor/non-dominant) due to multiple sclerosis---20%

"right upper..."                                                                                                                                        "---20%

Same wording with the lower extremeties but both legs rated at 40% each.

Adjustment disorder due to multiple sclerosis old percentage was 30% but now it is 50%

then---stress incontinence due to multiple sclerosis old percentage was 60% and now the new percentage is 40%.  Totally bogus b/c my bladder is more of the urge type (gotta go right now, get out of my way type) and my new VA urologist has words to that effect in the treatment notes.

This is the best I can do Gastone.  Thank you very much for your input.

Holli

Well I certainly wish you the best, and I would definitely appeal your case. I have M.S. too and have had it since 1993, only in the last 3-5 years has this disease taken a turn for the worse. There is no cure for M.S. and the disease only gets worse. I went from a neurogenic bladder to needing a suprapubic catheter. I asked my V.A. neurologist to fill out a DBQ for me which I sent in with my request for increase.  

Hey Jefmil50,

Have not heard from you for awhile.  Nice to receive a post!

Thank you for your good wishes, and I plan on appealing b/c "they" did just not get it right.  IMHO.  I am sorry the disease has taken a turn for the worse in the last 3-5 years.  I despise this *&^$%# disease.

To begin with, my urologist has me taking a low dose of Trospium (that name is funny, just says it all) then if that's a bust, ISC.  But we have got to do what we have to do.  It is good your VA neuro filled out the DBQ.

Say, I presume you were given prednisone and I was wondering if you developed cataracts?  I developed them (secondary to prednisone use but rated at 0% but that is ok b/c my cataract surgeries were successful) and was shocked at how quickly they grew.

Have a nice weekend.:smile:

H

• HadIt.com Elder

Just thought I'd put this on here. it may help  but maybe not?

Note: For VA purposes, an incapacitating episode is a period of acute symptoms severe enough to require prescribed bed rest and treatment by a physician or other healthcare provider.

Yes I take Trospium too. I have taken prednisone in the past but never developed cataracts. My doctor has stopped all disease modifying drugs for me since I have reactions to all of them now, so I will be looking into other alternatives to treat this.

Hi Jefmil50,

Good you did not develop cataracts.  I took Avonex (my husband gave me the injections every Friday) but stopped because I developed Antibodies, Betaseron and Copaxone both made me ill.  Please let me know if you find an alternative?  Thank you.

H