Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Info On TDIU

Rate this question

Prettypantha

Question

Hi All,

Thank you all once again for helping us through these hurdles and hoops when it comes to our claims.

My question is...do you think that I have a chance of getting TDIU if I file with contentions of: PTSD 70%, Migraines 30%, and Pes Planus 30%? Also, I was awarded in December 2017 SSDI solely for PTSD. I haven't worked since November 1, 2011. Thanks in advance for any information. Do you think I should open an Intent to file as well?

6 answers to this question

I was able to get TDIU with headaches at 50% and PTSD at 70%.  If you can get buddy statements about how your PTSD and migraines affected your work performance it is a good thing.  These can weigh heavily in a decision, especially if you can get one from management.

Sure you have a chance. But you have zero chance if you don't apply. I have been awarded SSDI in June of 2005 and I am still fighting with then for TDIU. If your last employer will state that you couldn't continue working because of your disabilities that is a big help. If you have a doctor that says you can't work that is a big help. 

This is only my second post here so hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in. Best of luck with your TDIU.

testing my signature

@PrettypanthaI received IU with PTSD 70% -  Only .....I did supply my evaluations stating although I was a great employee, I did have focus issues. HR departments are notorious for not calling you back or sending the paperwork in.

If you are able, I would go in person. It made my process easier. 

Search through the TDIU section of the forums here - good information - 

Thank you all for the great information!

@L, will it be ok to obtain this letter myself from HR and submit it through ebennie once I receive it? Thank you for your input!

Yes, this will work.  As I was told when doing this remember to get a manager's statement as well if you can.  I was told it carried more weight as this is your direct report.

There are 2 types of TDIU:  Schedular and extra schedular.  The first requires certain disability percentages, the second does not.  See 38 CFR 4.16 a and 4.16 b. 

Mostly, focus on the criteria:

Has a doctor, in your medical records, stated you are "unable to maintain substantial gainful employement due to sc conditions"??  If he so stated, your chances of TDIu are greatly increased.  

If a doc has not made such a statement, you will likely need the same before being awarded tdiu.  

Also, the Va has a habit of wanting a voc rehab counselor's opinion, too.  

I actually got my tdiu, upon appeal, by using a voc rehab IMO, even tho I already had in my file, the pricise statement I underlined, above.