VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rhinitis and equipment (air purifier, A/C, etc)

Rate this question

roadkill

Question

Greetings, I'm not sure if this is where to post my question or not (mod's feel free to move).

I recently (Oct 2017) was awarded 30% combined for a long list of items (quite a few zero's, and 3x 10%'s). The effective date was May of 2017. I filed a NOD for a couple of the 0%'s and for secondary conditions along with a detailed list of items evaluated during the C&P exam but were not put into my final report. My Allergic rhinitis and Sinusitis w/ Eustation Tube dysfunction are both 0% connected. Which is great for me. 

Within 30 days, I had filled out the required paperwork for 15x appointments at the VA and at Choices referred providers from May to Oct 2017 for travel reimbursement. They were all accepted (after proof of the community care appointments were kept and proof of authorization for the care were submitted). I also received retroactive reimbursement to the effective date for Rx co-pay's for all medications related to all of my SC conditions (Zyrtec, Flonase, Naproxen, and etc). It was a challenge to get the VBA to talk to the Eligibility department to update from 0% Not Service Connected to 30% service connected. You do have to call several phone #'s. But the Travel office and Billing office will not even consider it if your not in their system correctly after you have a rating/new rating. And BTW, get this done in 30 days or less.

But on to my question, I had allergy testing done yesterday at a community care provider (referred by my VA team). I have always been allergic to cats, dogs, and seafood. But new to me are dust mites, severe reaction to cats, trees, grass, and weeds. The doctor conducting the tests has recommended that I run A/C during pollen seasons for the above items (April through October for the pollen peaks for each series of plants). They also recommend a dehumidifier, an air purifier, and a high quality vacuum with HEPA filters. These are not recommendations that have come through my VA care team (yet).

However, if my VA care team recommends / prescribes the use of these devices/equipment, will the VA provide the equipment as it is to treat the allergic rhinitis? And is there any provision for reimbursement for the increased electrical cost (the AC and Dehumidifier)? I live in Vermont and I only run a window mount AC unit in my bedroom for a few hours on the hottest nights of July and August.

The VA has provided me with quite a few items to help manage my health, such as the blood pressure cuff, light therapy box, quality cork inserts for my shoes and boots, and etc. So I wasn't sure about equipment to treat/manage allergic rhinitis as various prescriptions have little benefit as shown with CT scans and MRI's, the congestion / blockage is still there and I do not have pets in my home.

Any ideas/thoughts?

~roadkill

Bronc, I found the ILC to be very accommodating. Got my High-End Laptop, all-in-0ne printer fairly quickly about 2/17. You have to specifically request the laptop over a Desk-top, which is the normally provided computer set up. 

Had a change in ILCs about 6 mos back, which resulted in the recent Lift-Chair and the HISSA Grant ($6500) finally getting the Award pushed to the VMC Prosthetics Dept for finalization. 

Evidently, the ILP procedure for the Lift-Chair and other specific Large Ticket items requires the ILC to request in a referral to the VMC Prosthetic Dept to supply whatever Item is being requested. The Pros Dept either supply the item or returns the referral with an explanation regarding why it can't complete the Request. Within a couple weeks of the Pros Dept Denial, the ILC was issuing the Purchase Order to the outside supplier.

• HadIt.com Elder

roadkill

You may want to ask your VA PCP  or your speciality clinic Doc for a referral to ILP &  give  a good explanation why?...As Gastone above post .

A VA Dr will need to give a reason why you would benefit from these devices. 

Alex (asknod) mention the ILP will try to stuff/deny  but don't let them, do some research and learn more about the I.L.P.

Edited by Buck52

Buck, no referral from PCP is necessary for a Vet to access the ILP. Just log-in to E-Ben and open New Claim for Vocational Rehab. All Vets with an SC 20 or 30%, maybe even 10% are eligible for the VR Program.             In about 2 wks the Vet gets an appointment usually at their RO, for a meeting with a VRC.              At the 1st meeting, the Vet informs the VRC regarding his wishes to access the IL Program, not the VR Program.                   The VRC will now change Hats and become the vet's ILC and set up an in-home visit by a Non-VA Disability Social Worker for an assessment of the Vet's disability-related (SC & Non-SC)  needs.                  This takes place within (2) weeks.       I recall discussing my computer needs at the 1st VR/ILC meeting, got the wrong one (desk top) within 2 weeks, replaced with Laptop, next day air from New York within 2 days.

Road, you're going to be very disappointed with the VA when it comes to supplying Home-Installed Equipment such as AC, Air Filtering Equipment, walk-in tubs, etc. Your VMC Prosthetic Dept, if not precluded by Regulation, would be the Authorizing VA Agent for the purchase of this type of equipment.    Then there's the VA Independent Living Program, take a run at it, certainly can't hurt.

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that Gastone,

Years ago about 22 years ago I think One of my speciality clinic Dr's Referred me to the VOC-Rehab / guess I got them mixed up.

Asknod mention that not enough Vets knows about the I.L.P And the VA really likes this,  there's no advertisement or any help from the VA to steer a Vet toward the ILP.

Even for  hobbies  for a vet that needs something to cope better with his S.C. Disabilities As  some Veterans would benefit from some things that other wise he can't afford to buy

some veterans love to take photographs as a hobbie(nice camera) or do wood working good lath /saws, ect,,ect,,) or garden  as Asknod loves to plant and grow mixed vegetables  so he requested a nice Greenhouse 

This is actually what I.L.P is supposed to be for to make a veteran life better and to deal/cope better with his S.C. Disabilities.