• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• fundraising.jpegGive a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
GnySkinner

Recommendations welcome on letter for anxiety

Question

I am submitting a claim for anxiety.  My wife wrote a letter where she has included the following to show my military connection and timeline.  I have been retired for 19 years (20yr Marine 0331) and have not submitted a claim for this prior to now.  I am rated at 10% for migraines and service connected for back pain but rated at 0% for that. I do not have my military medical records although I requested them back on January 2nd.  I know they will take a long time to get.  I was seen by a clinical psychologist at the VA clinic and her diagnosis says "Adjustment disorder with mixed emotions r/o Trauma-related stressor".  She is sending me to classes and recommended on-line options as well.  Any suggestions?

My husband served 20 years in the Marine Corp where he was exposed to many conditions that he tries, unsuccessfully, to deal with to this day.

• He suffers from impaired short and long term memory. He retains only highly learned materials while forgetting to complete simple tasks. This started very early in his military career when he studied long hours for promotion boards. He was trained to memorize and recite.

• He is suspicious of everyone and everything. Again, this is due to his military training, be aware of your surroundings at all times and be prepared for the worst. He sees the world as a completely dangerous place.

• He is easy to anger and very irritable. In his military career he was trained to do things at the drop of a hat, always ready to react at a moment's notice. When things don't move at the pace he thinks is appropriate he has difficulty dealing with it. “Little” things easily anger him.

• He suffers from lack of concentration. If the subject doesn't interest him he zones out. He was taught in the military to focus on the relevant and ignore the irrelevant. This makes it nearly impossible for him to concentrate on learning new things, i.e. new jobs.

• He served as a drill instructor at both Parris Island and San Diego. During those 4 years he trained many young Marines who later served in combat. He has expressed to me many, many times the feelings of anxiety and guilt he continues to have knowing that some of those young men were either injured or killed. He feels that he should have been there with them instead of on the drill field.

His 20 years of training dictate his life to this day. He has a difficult time functioning in the “civilian” world. His nights are restless and his days are frustrating. He sleeps with a CPAP machine to control his breathing. He frequently gets up to check and recheck doors and windows. He is not comfortable in social situations unless he is surrounded by his military buddies. He can not work around other people unless they share the same military background. He believes that if he asks for help it is a sign of weakness. When he was on active duty he did not go to sick call or ever ask for help because he did not want to be labeled a “sick bay commando”.

Although most of these conditions have been present since he was on active duty, they have gotten worse over the years. Only recently did he agree to seek help.

This is a good letter from your spouse  she nailed everything...you will also need a letter from your Dr for a Diagnosis of Anxiety,For PTSD This Diagnoses  has to come from a MH VA Dr.

VA will not accept a MH Diagnoses (PTSD) from a private Dr

The Dr needs to follow the VA Guidelines  and word his opinion as  I have examined this veteran and read his medical records and it is in my opinion it (is likely as not) his PTSD was caused/ related to his military service as his MOS was### and also served as a Drill Instructor for basic training at locations  ******Dates

If you are in MH treatment  get the treatment notes as evidence in part of your claim. list your medications as part of your evidence in part for your claim.

you need a nexus to connect your condition to your military service ,if you were in combat and have the CIB on your DD 214 Then VA will consead your stressors, your lay statement on how this has affected your life  ect,,ect,,,

Elder member and moderator broncovet can cover the 3 things you need  to apply a first time claim for PTSD. 

THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO APPLY FOR INCREASE OR ANY SECONDARY CONDITIONS THAT PTSD CAN BE RELATED TO  SUCH AS SLEEP APNEA or loss of use of creative organ  ect,,ect,,

Also check out the New pain compensation the VA just came out with for your Back condition.

Edited by Buck52

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

,if you were in combat and have the CIB on your DD 214 Then VA will consead your stressors, your lay statement on how this has affected your life  ect,,ect,,,

Elder member and moderator broncovet can cover the 3 things you need  to apply a first time claim for PTSD. 

THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO APPLY FOR INCREASE OR ANY SECONDARY CONDITIONS THAT PTSD CAN BE RELATED TO  SUCH AS SLEEP APNEA or loss of use of creative organ  ect,,ect,,

Also check out the New pain compensation the VA just came out with for your Back condition.

I was never in combat.  That is a big part of my constant feelings of guilt.  I spent over 20 years in, trained hundreds of others, was in a leadership role and was never in a combat situation.  I was sent all over the world and was always in a zone just prior to or just after a combat situation. I know others have the "why me" feelings of guilt related to surviving when friends they served with weren't as fortunate. I have the "why not me" feelings related to having never been sent.  I trained my whole career for combat.  I worked hard and was good at what I did.  I took pride in learning and retaining knowledge.  Now, in the civilian world, all of that gets me no where, truly.  I don't know if this is labeled as PTSD or just general anxiety.  I figured the professionals would put a label on it.

My VSO didn't think applying for the sleep apnea condition right now was a good idea.  I have another meeting with him next Tuesday so I could ask again then. We did apply for tinnitus, hearing loss, vertigo (I have a diagnosis of this and go for additional testing Monday), gerd (which I also have a diagnosis for), kidney stones (suffer from this all the time and this is definitely in my military medical records), migraines to be reevaluated and back to be reevaluated. (8 issues right now) 

Where can I find the new pain compensation the VA just came out with for the back condition?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

You don't have to have combat action to get traumatized  it can happen any time any where, your training for all those years  to teach other how to survive in combat has taken its toll on you  as you feel guilty for not being in combat..you should not feel that way, you did what you were ordered to do and you probably did a great job & you did it. Drill Instructors is not an eazy job..I would think it's stressful and depressing 

look at it this way  just think about all the young lives you did saved by teaching them how to survive,,,that should be a rewarding experience.

I wish I could meet my Drill instructors from basic training.

I took a lot of what they taught me and used it in a combat situation  how to survive was what kept me alive during my Vietnam tour...I have to admit the first year was pretty tough but I made it and I had 7 months left to serve out my time  my CO Ask me if I wanted to extend my tour and then ETS from Nam..and I could stay with my same unit under his command..I choose to extend...one of my reason  I made that decision was because what my Drill Instructors taught me..I was lucky to make it home but I made it home  when a lot of my buddies never did. that haunts at me today and it's been 46/47 years ago

what you did Sir in training young recruits all those years was traumatizing to you and it's just now coming out to haunt at you,think back in all those years about a trauma event that may have happen and you being a Drill instructor just sucked it up and went on and unreported details of what may have occurred?

Ask/Request your VA PCP for a referral to the MH Clinic.

Talk with a VA MH Phyistrist and he/she will most likely give you a PTSD Diagnosis for unspecified anxiety or depression They are several symptoms that can cause or be related to PTSD  but its still  PTSD. After they make an evaluation they can let you know what it is? just be open and honest during your evaluation and if your sent to a Forensic C&P  be honest with your answers.

Tell the Dr's everything you mention here...remember you don't need to be in combat to a traumatic event. it can be anything that traumatized you physically or psychologically speaking.  

And don't be feeling guilty because you were not ordered in a combat zone or had to be in a combat situation you followed orders and that's what all of us had to do.

I applaud your 20 years of military service.

Edited by Buck52

PTSD Service Connection was liberalized back around 12 or 13. "The Fear Of" just about anything became grounds for a PTSD SC Filing, no actual Combat exposure required. It's up to the VA PTSD Forensic C & P Psychiatrist to determine if a Vet's Claimed Stressor meets the requirements, as well as eliminating Malingering.

"Anxiety" is not a diagnosis, its a symptom of PTSD, depression and some others.  Have you been diagnosed with depression or PTSD?  I dont recommend you apply for benefits for "anxiety", but instead what your doctor has already diagnosed:  Depression, Bipolar, etc.  Or, apply for "general" mental disorders.  

It would be a shame to delay your benefits for years because you applied for depression and your doc diagnosed you with PTSD, etc.  

The VA sometimes denies for one disorder..because you have not been diagnosed with it..even tho you have been diagnosed with something similar.  PTSD vs depression, etc.  

That usually wont stick in the courts, but do you really want to wait 5 years for appeals?  I dont.  This is why I dont recommend applying for "anxiety", but instead check and see what doc has diagnosed you for, and apply for THAT condition.  PTSD/depression, etc.  

I dont suggest you do "self diagnosis" because your opinion wont matter, anyway, its what the doctor says.  

Have you ordered your cfile and medical records?  If not, you need to.  Are you on antidepressant meds, such as Wellburtron, Zoloft, Atavan, etc?  

PREVENT DENIALS and delays by making sure of what you apply for.  Dont guess.  Read what the doc says.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By weep4souls
      Does anyone know an IME in the San Antonio area?  San Antonio is known as Military City USA. It would be sad not to have some here.
    • By Tanker1
      I was scheduled for a C and P exam recently and this is what happened and what I submitted to the VA asking to be placed in my file also.  Have you seen this before and does anyone have any clue as to why a doc would act this way?  Does this make sense?  I have no idea what the outcome will be yet.  The claim is in preparation for decision now.

On 6/28/2019 I showed up to an appointment with xxxxxxxxxxx in Horn Lake, MS for a VA requested C and P exam for what I was advised to be Anxiety and depression that was setup through VES contracting. Upon entering the room the doctor advised that I was there for a C and P exam for anxiety and depression and explained that the reason they do these exams sometimes is to be sure veterans are not lying about their claims. This struck me as an odd way to begin an exam and then the Dr. proceeded to look over my C-File and advised that it appeared that I had someone else's records that had served from somewhere around 1958 to 1964 and asked if that was me. I of course stated no. I was not even born yet. She then went on to say that sometimes these files are put in our veterans records by the VA accidentally. I asked if that is what they base my claim on and she stated that there were disagreements in my file about dates by raters and that this file was causing confusion. She stated that she would let them know that they should remove it. After the appointment I called the VA and spoke to an operator that stated that the record mentioned above was never in my file and she had no idea what the doctor was talking about. As the appointment continued it seemed as if the Dr. was continuing to try to discredit anything wrong with me by asking if I thought I had biological depression and could have had it all my life. I advised her that I had a great childhood and after joining the service I started noticing my anxiety and depression becoming worse. The doctor also advised that I must have made my previous boss mad and that is why I was fired which should have nothing to do with why I am at a anxiety and depression C and P exam 2 years later than the termination. The doctor also asked if I was mad because I was released from the military when I stated that to my knowledge I was released from the service due to sleep apnea, anxiety and depression. I stated life goes on. Which it does. We are soldiers and we learn to keep going no matter how much it hurts emotionally or physically, or at least we try even though appointments like this one remind me that evidently, possibly not everyone has our best interest at heart. I miss the people I served with as an M1A1 Tanker. I miss serving and I love my country even though my body is worn because of it. I do not regret serving by any means. I feel as though this exam was more of an inquisition and have had more anxiety due to the unsettling nature of the exam since it unfortunately. Thank you for taking the time to read this if you do. I just wanted someone to hear my side. I am attaching the C and P request also to this letter so that you will have their information also.

• By DonaldANG
      Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in to the forum.
      Last year I filed a new claim for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. For the past 3 years, I have been seeing a civilian psychiatrist for my anxiety and depression. She had already diagnosed me with GAD and Major Depression, and I have been on anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants, and sleep medication. I was on differing types of the same medications since coming out of the service, but it wasn't until about 3 years ago, that I admitted to myself that I needed mental help, and that is when I started seeing my civilian psychiatrist, and that is when I first heard of GAD and Major Depression, when she said she had diagnosed me with them. It was at her suggestion, that I file a claim with the VA for GAD and Major Depression. She said she very much felt like my conditions were associated with my time in the service. When it was finally time to have my C&P exam, I was interviewed by a VA psychologist. I told her about my civilian psychiatrist, and her diagnosis for me, and the medications she had me on. I also talked to her about my time in the service, me being overseas in the Gulf War, and me being in a humanitarian mission in Ecuador. I told her about my friend who was with me during basic training. And how he was shot and killed right in front of me, in a horrible accident, during one of our live ammunition training exercises. I told her how all this had affected me from those moments on, all the way until now. At the end of our meeting, she told me that she felt like my condition was more PTSD, rather than Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. At the time I didn't think anything of what she said; that is until I was sent my denial letter. In my denial, it stated that my 2 claims for GAD and Major Depression, was changed to GAD (to include PTSD) and Major Depression (to include PTSD). So the VA psychiatrist did what she said she would. She essentially changed what I had claimed, and added (to include PTSD) on each of my 2 claims. So, for the basis of PTSD, there has to be a proven stressor. The VA used what I had talked to the psychiatrist about the death of my friend during boot camp, as my stressor. The VA said they searched records during the time I was at boot camp, and found no incidents related to what I was saying. So, because the VA psychiatrist took it upon herself, to change my claimed conditions from GAD and Major Depression, to GAD (to include PTSD) and Major Depression (to include PTSD), now it was up to me to prove a stressor, because with claims associated with PTSD, you must prove your stressor. I knew from talking to other Army buddies of mine, how difficult it could be sometimes to find old records of deaths. The death of my friend during boot camp happened in 1962 at Ft. Jackson, SC. My civilian psychiatrist never suggested to me that I had PTSD. She always said it was Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. If I had wanted to file a claim for PTSD, I would have done so. But I knew how difficult it would be for the VA to search for and find any record of the death of my friend at boot camp. So I filed GAD and Major Depression, because I was told those claims did not require a specific stressor (exact time, place, person, etc). I was told that GAD and Major Depression, could be claims based on your entire military career, with everything you've done and everything you've experienced, all amounting to intense anxiety and depression. So that is why I claimed GAD and Major Depression, over that of PTSD. But because the VA psychiatrist took it upon herself to change my 2 claimed conditions, and added the words (to include PTSD) to each of my claimed conditions, it was not just GAD and Major Depression any longer; it includes PTSD, which requires a specific and provable stressor. I had a stressor, and very specific one - the death of my friend during live ammunition exercises during our time at Ft. Jackson, SC boot camp in the summer of 1962. But the VA said neither they nor the JSRRC could find any record of that taking place. If my 2 claims had remained what they were suppose to be, simply GAD and simply Major Depression, I do not think I would have been denied. But because the VA psychiatrist added PTSD to each of my conditions, the VA asked for my stressor, the VA and JSRRC said they could find no record of my stressor, so my claims were denied. I believe I would have been approved if not for the VA psychiatrist adding PTSD to my 2 claimed conditions.
      So with all that said (and I apologize for the length of it), is there any hope for me, if I appeal my denial? And do any of you know how I would go about appealing it? Would I simply say to the VA that I disagree with the VA psychiatrist adding PTSD to my 2 claims, when I never claimed PTSD myself?; that that was her decision entirely. I have had a VA Disability Representative for the past couple of years, but he was utterly useless. He never answered my calls or emails. He basically never helped me at all. I did most all myself over eBenefits. But now, since I've had this recent denial, I have considered hiring a VA Disability Law Firm to take my case. I've spoken with 2 so far. They both told me I had a very strong case and that I could win. But they also said they couldn't take my case because of their huge client load. I think it was simply that they could probably win my case, but there wouldn't have been much in the line of backpay, so they wouldn't have gotten much compensation for their work for me. So I guess I will continue searching for other VA Disability Lawyers, or I may have to appeal my denied claim myself over eBenefits.
      Could any of you, please help me with this? I have read many questions on here regarding GAD and Major Depression, but I haven't come across one yet, where they filed a claim for GAD and Major Depression, and then the VA psychiatrist during the C&P exam, decided to change the claim (to include PTSD), thereby changing the criteria for acceptance, by now making me prove a specific stressor, instead of it she had just left my 2 claimed conditions alone, without including PTSD to them, then no specific stressor was required - it would simply go by your overall experiences while in service. I am a 20 year Veteran by the way, with most of my time served in the National Guard. But I was activated numerous times during my 20 years, including during the Gulf War. It isn't my fault that the death of my friend during boot camp, isn't something the VA or JSRRC can locate in records. If the VA psychiatrist had just left my 2 claimed conditions alone, instead of tacking on (to include PTSD), then the VA wouldn't have even had to search for a specific incident, they would have just based my conditions on my overall military experiences.
      Thank you for any help, assistance, or advice you might be able to give.
      Donald
    • By L2dee2
      I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 on 2 Mar 10,  my last day on active duty was 28 Feb 09. I was denied service connection when I filed since I was officially diagnosed 3 days outside the 1 year window.  I never appealed this claim.  I was rated 60% in 2010 and never looked back.
      I recently happened across this site and realized, I might be able to reopen the case and submit a nexus letter stating that the diabetes manifested within the one year of me leaving active duty if not before.  Lab test taken on 25 Feb 09 show a Glucose reading of 324.  For some reason HB A1C test wasn't take until 2 Mar 10.  My HB A1C was 12.5.  The 2 Mar 10 date puts me inside the 1 year window.  There is no way my diabetes appeared in 3 days after the 1 year window.
      I am also service connected with Hypothyrodism (Hashimotos) which caused weight gain and slows the metabolism.  I was diagnosed in 1998.  Some medical evidence also shows slow thyroid can cause Diabetes.  Due to weight gain from my underactive thyroid, I was clinically obese on active duty.    If I can't get Diabetes added by showing it is service connected, maybe I can add it as a secondary to my Hypothyrodisim.  What are your thoughts?

• By damnitface77
      For Starters, I want to thank anyone who takes the time to read this and give me a little perspective. I just got my final C&P results after a series of claims. Currently I am 94% combined rating if I include my Sleep apnea claim (The Dr. wrote it was medically neccesary to use the CPAP, so I do expect the 50%. This C&P below was conducted to separate my anxiety disorder from my TBI disorder. Currently I have a 70% rating for Anxiety with residuals of TBI. I was wondering if anyone could read this and tell me if they think I can expect a separate rating for TBI memory loss based on the Dr's opinion stating that my issue is 80% anxiety and 20% TBI (see note 2b below). If I can get at least a 10% for TBI in addition to the 70% for anxiety, It should push me over the threshhold of 100% schedular. The only edits I made to this was to remove names.  Again, thank you for your time and expertise
      70% Anxiety (Trauma with TBI residuals)
      50% Sleep Apnea
      20% Degenerative Disc Disease
      20% Upper Neuropathy Right / 20% Upper Neuropathy Left
      10% Lower Radiculopathy Right / 10% Lower Radiculopathy Left
      0% TBI Migraines
      LOCAL TITLE: COMP AND PEN NOTE
      STANDARD TITLE: C & P EXAMINATION NOTE
      DATE OF NOTE: JAN 28, 2019@14:30 ENTRY DATE: JAN 30, 2019@11:11:26
      AUTHOR: *********** E EXP COSIGNER: URGENCY: STATUS: COMPLETED
      Mental Disorders
      (other than PTSD and Eating Disorders)
      Disability Benefits Questionnaire Name of patient/Veteran: *****
      Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination
      Request?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      SECTION I: ----------
      1. Diagnosis
      ------------
      a. Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental
      disorder(s)? [X] Yes [ ] No
      ICD code: 300.00
      If the Veteran currently has one or more mental disorders that conform to DSM-5 criteria, provide all diagnoses:
      Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Unspecifed Anxiety disorder, chronic, severe
      disorder.
      ICD code: 300.00 Comments, if any:
      Vet had been seen initially on 2/11/18 for Mental Health C+P exam done
      by Dr. *****(which proposed "Anxiety disorder, NOS" then, while f/u
      C+P exam on 2/16/14 had proposed Other specified trauma and stressor related disorder(as vet had been in IED blast in 2006 - see Mental Disorder diagnosis #2 below.
      Unspecified anxiety disorder is synonymous with Neurosis - which vet is
      already 70% SC for, in combination with residuals of TBI apparently). I
      am therefore not intending to change his Neurosis condition now, but Unspecified anxiety disorder is most accurate diagnosis consistent with DSM-V, as I see it now.
      Mental Disorder Diagnosis #2: Cognitive disorder due to Closed Head
      iInjury(CHI), due to 6/1/2006 "double-attacked anti-tank mine" IED blast.
      ICD code: 294.9 Comments, if any:
      Vet was in 2nd Iraq combat deployment - out of 3 tours he served there -
      when 6/1/06 IED hit his heavy equipment vehicle(which vet had referred to as 'palitizing loading system').
      b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI): Vet is already 0% SC for
      migraine headaches.
      Comments, if any:
      Vet is already SC for migraine headaches. Vet is already 20% SC for Intervertebral DIsc Syndrome, 20% SC for Paralysis of musculospiral nerve(x2), 10% SC fo paralysis of sciatic nerve(x2).
      Vet also apparently had a 2/15/18 sleep study done that indicated a mild
      sleep apnea condition.
      2. Differentiation of symptoms
      ------------------------------
      a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      b. Is it possible to differentiate what symptom(s) is/are attributable to each diagnosis?
      [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which symptoms are attributable to each diagnosis and discuss whether there is any clinical association between these diagnoses Symptoms(i.e., anxiety, sleep problmes) are due to Unspecified
      anxiety disorder, while symptoms(memory problems, headaches) are due
      to Cognitive disorder due to CHI.
      c. Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI)? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not shown in records reviewed
      d. Is it possible to differentiate what symptom(s) is/are attributable to TBI
      and any non-TBI mental health diagnosis? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which symptoms are attributable to TBI and which symptoms
      are attributable to a non-TBI mental health diagnosis see 2b above.
      3. Occupational and social impairment -------------------------------------
      a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of
      occupational
      and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one)
      [X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or
      mood
      b. For the indicated occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate which impairment is caused by each mental disorder? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not Applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which occupational and social impairment is attributable to each diagnosis
      About 80% of vet's current occupational and social impairment is due
      to Unspecified anxiety disorder while about 20% is due to Cognitive disorder due to CHI.
      c. If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate which occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by the TBI? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not Applicable (N/A)
      If yes, list which impairment is attributable to TBI and which is attributable to any non-TBI mental health diagnosis see 3b above.
      SECTION II:
      ----------- Clinical Findings: ------------------
      1. Evidence Review
      ------------------
      Evidence reviewed (check all that apply):
      [X] VA e-folder
      [X] CPRS
      [X] Other (please identify other evidence reviewed):
      Vet broiught a 4 page typed letter 1/12/19 done by himself describing
      in detail his current ongoing issues("I did not want to forget to tell
      you something important"), and vet admits it took him severalhours to
      complete(and which he kept revising many times). He brought a 2 page
      letter dated 1/27/19 done by his wife ******, a 2 page typed letter dated
      1/17/19 done by mother ********, and a 1 page typed letter dated
      1/27/19 done by vet's friend/combat comrade(served together in Iraq)
      named *******, and all 4 letter were reviewed by me.
      Evidence Comments:
      CPRS was reviewed by me and included my(***** MD) 12/5 18 Review TBI C+P exam report, as well as 5/16/14 C+P exam report done by Dr *****(sa
      well
      as Initial 2/18/11 MH C+P exam aslo done by Dr. ******.
      VBMS was reviewed by me and included vet's Army DD-214 signed b *****
      which included MOS(88M30) Mortor Vehicle Operator,as well as E-6 discharge
      rank. His medals included CAB - among others, and he had Iraq combat dates
      of 1/03 - 7/03, 8/05 - 8/06, and 3/08 - 6/09 - for his 3 seperate Iraq combat tours.
      2. History
      ----------
      a. Relevant Social/Marital/Family history (pre-military, military, and
      post-military):
      Vet is married ****(and they have 2 sons(around ages 5 and nearly 7).
      b. Relevant Occupational and Educational history (pre-military, military, and
      post-military): Vet has been working in his current Passport Agency job since 2015(was at an administrative clerk(for a different agency) before that.
      c. Relevant Mental Health history, to include prescribed medications and family mental health (pre-military, military,
      and post-military):
      Vet has been on sertraline 150mg since 9/10/18 - it takes the "edge" off
      my problems, but he apparently has been having some sexual side effects(delayed ejaculation) related to that .
      d. Relevant Legal and Behavioral history (pre-military, military, and post-military):
      Vet has had no legal problems(and no jail time) since the 5/14/16 C+P exam report date.
      e. Relevant Substance abuse history (pre-military, military, and post-military):
      Vet has had no alcohol misuse disorder problems sicne 5/16/14. He has used no street drugs since 16/14.
      f. Other, if any:
      No response provided.
      3. Symptoms
      -----------
      For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses:
      [X] Anxiety
      [X] Suspiciousness
      [X] Panic attacks that occur weekly or less often
      [X] Chronic sleep impairment
      [X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent
      events
      [X] Impairment of short- and long-term memory, for example, retention of
      only highly learned material, while forgetting to complete tasks
      [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
      [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social
      relationships
      [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or
      a
      worklike setting
      [X] Obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities
      4. Behavioral observations
      --------------------------
      Vet was totally genuine at the 1/28/19 Review Mental Health C+P exam.
      5. Other symptoms
      -----------------
      Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to mental disorders that are not listed above?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      If yes, describe:
      Vet admits to having anger difficulties, 'spacing out' at times, and
      general feeling of being confused/overwhelmed. He reports having lost
      his social "filter" abilities. He reports previously having been very
      "easygoing" prior to the military.
      Vet still gets nervous if seeing sandbags lying on the side of the road -
      left by construction crew(as that is what he looked for over in Iraq as being a potential IED.)
      He has to reorganize plates/trays a certain way, either at home or when leaving a restaurant, respectively.
      He denies having any suicidal thoughts("No, I'm addicted to life, I love
      breathing".).
      6. Competency
      -------------
      Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] No
      7. Remarks (including any testing results), if any: ---------------------------------------------------
      Vet owns a pistol. He does not hunt - only tried it once, but did not get anything then.
      He denied having any current active suicidal or homicidal ideation.

• Ads

• Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines